How ya gonna build your TGO billet lower?

No idea. I already have 2 complete lowers waiting for uppers and BCG's. this one will most likely stay virgin for awhile until I piece together some prime components to go with it. I'm thinking maybe 300blk or just regular old 556
I used to bad mouth the 300BO. Then I decided to give it a try. It is an amazing caliber that does two things well. It shoots lightweight bullets fast and heavy bullets slow extremely well. And if you use a pistol length gas system it is very reliable with all kinds of powders and bullet weights.

Carbine length gas system is only good for supersonic rounds or heavy, suppressed rounds. Carbine will not work with a subsonic loads without a can. Some say what is the point in shooting subsonic without a can but there are several reasons why. First the recoil is a lot less, second it costs less to reload and the noise level is less.

458 would be cool. But it will probably be 6.5 grendel or 300 BLK. Maybe get 2 and do both.

.458 isn't near as easy as a 300. It requires a special bolt, and the ejection port on the upper receiver has to be opened up. I bought an assembled upper. The 300 just slaps together, because the only difference is the barrel.

I think my plans may have changed. My wife is wanting a pink AR target rifle....

Spots you are manly enough to just say you want a pink rifle you dont have to say your wife wants one....

I'm really interested in the 6.5 Grendel with an 18" barrel (possibly 20" if research shows theres still burning powder past the 18"'s). I'm fairly intrigued by the 300 BLK so maybe 2 lowers are in order. I've not had the opportunity to shoot either of them but i'm liking what i've read on them. 

I'm really interested in the 6.5 Grendel with an 18" barrel (possibly 20" if research shows theres still burning powder past the 18"'s). I'm fairly intrigued by the 300 BLK so maybe 2 lowers are in order. I've not had the opportunity to shoot either of them but i'm liking what i've read on them. 

I think you'll see velocity increases up to 28" with a Grendel. It's derived from the 6.5mm PPC. If I go with that caliber, it will be a minimum 20" barrel, and may even go longer. Of course, it will get heavy with those long barrels. My 24" .223 isn't an off hand shooter. I think it weighs in at 14 lbs with the heavy stock and scope.

I used to bad mouth the 300BO. Then I decided to give it a try. It is an amazing caliber that does two things well. It shoots lightweight bullets fast and heavy bullets slow extremely well. And if you use a pistol length gas system it is very reliable with all kinds of powders and bullet weights.

Carbine length gas system is only good for supersonic rounds or heavy, suppressed rounds. Carbine will not work with a subsonic loads without a can. Some say what is the point in shooting subsonic without a can but there are several reasons why. First the recoil is a lot less, second it costs less to reload and the noise level is less.

Now you've got me a little worried. I had planned for a carbine length, maybe a mid-length.

I think you'll see velocity increases up to 28" with a Grendel. It's derived from the 6.5mm PPC. If I go with that caliber, it will be a minimum 20" barrel, and may even go longer. Of course, it will get heavy with those long barrels. My 24" .223 isn't an off hand shooter. I think it weighs in at 14 lbs with the heavy stock and scope.

I don't think i would ever go any longer than a 20" barrel just because of the weight. A 20" barrel would likely out shoot any optic i could afford to stick on top of it. Any experience with the Blk out? If so what would be it's effective range with an 18-20" barrel? 

I don't think i would ever go any longer than a 20" barrel just because of the weight. A 20" barrel would likely out shoot any optic i could afford to stick on top of it. Any experience with the Blk out? If so what would be it's effective range with an 18-20" barrel? 

Sorry, i didn't mean to high jack the thread i'll start another.

Now you've got me a little worried. I had planned for a carbine length, maybe a mid-length.

Mid-length won't work. AAC still maintains that carbine length will work for super and sub in factory loadings. It won't have the flexibilty of Gordon's gun, but there are still lots of carbine length gas systems out there. Mine is carbine length. I haven't shot any subs yet, but expect to find a sub load or two that will work. Mine rocks on a wide range of super loads.

I haven't played with my Blackout much. It likes a 16" barrel. I'm using H110 powder, which is real fast for a rifle. I don't think there's enough case capacity to go much slower. I'm thinking that a longer barrel might not help much. Dolomite can add to this. He has played a lot more than I have.

Here's my 125G Nosler load. Note that 98.3% of the powder is burned with a 16" barrel.

MyH110Nosler125-1_zps2bb74491.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

I think I'll swap my current parts onto the TGO lower and build a dedicated AR22 since I already have a conversion kit.

Yeah, if that's a CMMG conversion, you only need to change the adapter to fit a real .22LR AR type barrel.

From adapter:

22BA414-2T.jpg?1360658040

to the collar

22BA4D7-2T.jpg?1360657111

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yup. And their barrels already come with it. The complete uppers have the conversion included. Maybe they'll leave it out for a discount.

Would a dedicated upper be a vast improvement in accuracy over the conversion?

I've plinked a bit with somebody else's conversion, but never spent any real suss time with a conversion on 5.56 upper. But I have dedicated CMMG upper -- haven't had it long, but can certainly tell you so far it's at least as accurate as my 10/22's or Marlin 60.

And since the ID of barrel and 1:16 twist is optimized for 22LR and a 5.56 barrel isn't, I don't see how it couldn't be more accurate and consistent, just trusting my limited knowledge of physics. Plus, "everybody" says they are, too. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

There is no such thing as a midlength when it comes to the 300 although that would remove a lot of the problems out there.

A pistol length gas system will cycle with subsonics or low powered loads even without a suppressor. A carbine length system is hit or miss at best unless you install non standard parts like lightweight buffers or lightweight recoil springs. With a carbine length gas system you are going to be stuck with a few kinds of powders and a few kinds of bullets at best. At worst they might not work at all.

If you want the most flexibility you want a pistol length system. I can use a very wide variety of powders. I have used Lil'Gun, N110, H4227, A1680, H4198, A2015, SMP842 and A1680 to shoot both subs and supers in my gun. The gun cycles perfectly and the only variable is that some powders have lower velocities than others but they ALL cycle reliably. I can shoot 180's at subsonic velocities as well as 245 grain cast bullets at under 800 fps. And I do not need special buffers or springs, just what any 5.56 lower comes with. I have joked that I bet my gun will cycle with blackpowder. I need to get some to try.

With a pistol length gas system you can use an adjustable gas block to artificially lengthen the gas system but you cannot artificially shorten the carbine gas system.

I will make this offer to anyone considering building or buying a 300 Blackout. Contact me first so we can make sure you are successful the first time. Prices are crazy right now and there is no sense in spending a ton of money only to be frustrated.

• Like 4

There is no such thing as a midlength when it comes to the 300 although that would remove a lot of the problems out there.

A pistol length gas system will cycle with subsonics or low powered loads even without a suppressor. A carbine length system is hit or miss at best unless you install non standard parts like lightweight buffers or lightweight recoil springs. With a carbine length gas system you are going to be stuck with a few kinds of powders and a few kinds of bullets at best. At worst they might not work at all.

If you want the most flexibility you want a pistol length system. I can use a very wide variety of powders. I have used Lil'Gun, N110, H4227, A1680, H4198, A2015, SMP842 and A1680 to shoot both subs and supers in my gun. The gun cycles perfectly and the only variable is that some powders have lower velocities than others but they ALL cycle reliably. I can shoot 180's at subsonic velocities as well as 245 grain cast bullets at under 800 fps. And I do not need special buffers or springs, just what any 5.56 lower comes with. I have joked that I bet my gun will cycle with blackpowder. I need to get some to try.

With a pistol length gas system you can use an adjustable gas block to artificially lengthen the gas system but you cannot artificially shorten the carbine gas system.

I will make this offer to anyone considering building or buying a 300 Blackout. Contact me first so we can make sure you are successful the first time. Prices are crazy right now and there is no sense in spending a ton of money only to be frustrated.

Which length pistol barrel would you suggest?

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Which length pistol barrel would you suggest?

All lengths can come in pistol gas. But if you want a short barrel I would go 9". I have a 10.5" which shoots really good, but could have gotten close velocities and saved weight with a 9". Velocity is pretty negligible for each 1" in barrel length.