Best Handguns

Name your best or your favorite handgun that you've had past or present and why. I'm talkin about the gun that just felt like it was made for your own hand and had everything you wanted and shot like a dream. I know I've had a few guns that I felt were the opposite of "factory lemons" that I semi regret getting rid of.

Right now that pistol for me is an Springfield XDM9 4.5. I've always been a anti-striker fire pro-DA/SA guy because I'm real finicky about triggers and always felt like hammer guns had the best ones. I've had Glocks and I've had an M&P and was never satisfied with the strikers. This XDM trigger feels completely different than any other striker I've had. It's not a 1911 trigger but it's about as close as you can get with a striker. The grip and ergos are perfect for my hands and thumbs forward grip.

Second place is a CZ75 I used to have. Only gripe I had was the really long trigger reach for double action.
Guest MilitiaMan

Glock 19 Gen 4. Couldn't ask anything more of an EDC gun. I may have to trust my life to her one day, and I know she will do what she was built to do. ;)

I have a Walther PPQ in 40 S&W. Ergos are great. Fits like a glove. Has interchangable backstraps. Awesome

trigger. .400 travel, .1 reset. Shoots very accurate. Chamber fully supports the case.

It's found a home.

I had a XDm in 40 (full size). Like the PPQ much better.

YMMV........JMHO

Hands down, my favorite is my CZ 75 Shadow. It has a long trigger pull, like OP says, but it's super smooth and very light. The only problem with a trigger that light I can get it to pop off 3 or 4 rounds when I stage the trigger just right, so it's a sporting/range gun only and a little big/heavy for carry any way.

Probably my makarov.   Thousands upon thousands of rounds later, its not showing it, just a touch of wear to hint at a long life; no finish on the front of the grip anymore (I keep it touched up with a 'blue' pen).  A home-made trigger job makes it special and an extra sweet shooter but even before that it was a favorite.   Also I love the design, a handful of simple parts that make it easy to work on and a fixed barrel keeps it accurate.

Runner up is my old ruger mark 2, which also has an insane round count and is still as accurate as I am. 

• Like 1
Sig P226. It is big, it is heavy, but it shoots great. Close second is an old Ruger GP141 in 357 magnum. It goes bang every time.

Edit: I forgot my Sign P220. It shoots like a dream and is a 45. What's not to like? Edited by chperry
  • Like 1
I love the ergos of my SW99's, and I will love my Shield, but I handled a Sig P226 with E2 (?) grip over the weekend. The DA/SA trigger felt awesome. If money was no object, that would be my next purchase.

Edit: those Sigs have the mystique like a 1911, IMO. I'd love to shoot a P220(?) .45 next to my Kimber for direct comparison. Edited by S&WForty

Before my hand injury I would say HKP7 for pure CCW utility, fast "pointability" and quality.

Since the hand injury Glock 19 for CCW.

If you have a CZ 75 you owe it to yourself to do the SA conversion.  Go to Cajun Gunworks: http://cajungunworks.com/

You may have to go the CZ store to get the nice straight trigger.  I felt one of these a couple of weeks ago and I can only say "Wow!" I wish I had hung on to one of those 75s I used to own or the 85 Combat.

For range fun it is hard to beat the Sig X Five Tactical or a 1911 in 9mm  could only imagine a Sig P210

Any 6" or greater .357 DW or S&W.  They are fun to shoot long range targets.

Then there are the .22LR handguns, which beat everything when it comes to fun: name the brand, from pot metal Saturday Night Specials to Benellis or Pardinis.

Edited by graycrait
I count on my Glock 23 Gen4 as a do it all gun, in only one year it has had 1k flawless rounds. I like it a lot better than my Gen3 G19. I have felt guns that fit better like a Taurus Millenium but I can't put enough trust in them.
My. Kimber Eclipse Pro II is a dream to shoot. I enjoy my G19 as well, but would rather carry my G23 for edc if it was a toss up.

My favorite pistol in my collection is the FNX 45 Tactical in FDE. 15 rounds of 45 with a controllable firearm good groupings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Guest TN.Frank
Ok, so basically this will be a "Which guns that I use to have do I still miss" kind of deal.
Well, I'd love to still have the S&W M13, 4" that I use to own. I'd like to still have my Glock G19, Gen3 RTF2. I really like the Sig P225 that I use to have an also a Sig P239 was nice but I didn't care for the 40S&W it was chambered for, if it'd been 9x19mm I'd have liked it a bit better.
My current CZ82 is nice, don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Other then that all the other handguns I've owned were ok but nothing really special even though a couple of em' were S&W M27's. They were just too large to carry much so they aren't on my "Top 5" list.
My all time favorite is the Les Baer TRS. My go to gun will always be a G30SF or G19. The LB is accurate and beautiful. The Glocks, because I trust them like I would trust my brother. Edited by LINKS2K

Ok, so basically this will be a "Which guns that I use to have do I still miss" kind of deal.
Well, I'd love to still have the S&W M13, 4" that I use to own. I'd like to still have my Glock G19, Gen3 RTF2. I really like the Sig P225 that I use to have an also a Sig P239 was nice but I didn't care for the 40S&W it was chambered for, if it'd been 9x19mm I'd have liked it a bit better.
My current CZ82 is nice, don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Other then that all the other handguns I've owned were ok but nothing really special even though a couple of em' were S&W M27's. They were just too large to carry much so they aren't on my "Top 5" list.

I've finally have all my favorite guns. It took years of buying, trying, trading and selling off, but I can't think of any pistols or rifles I'd rather have more than the ones I've got.

I should have put in a plug for a revolver.   The brand and type and all do not matter but with the right grips and frame size/weight/caliber for your tastes, its hard to beat a good one.  My favorite is a s&w model 19

• Like 1