beautifully restored mosin nagants

I don't see anything "bubba" about what the guy in the video did at all. It's not like he decreased their value or ruined them. He improved them and made them look really nice.

These aren't rare collector's pieces. They make nearly 40M of these things. What he did is no worse than hanging a vertical grip on an AR-15.

• Like 3

I don't see anything "bubba" about what the guy in the video did at all. It's not like he decreased their value or ruined them. He improved them and made them look really nice.

These aren't rare collector's pieces. They make nearly 40M of these things. What he did is no worse than hanging a vertical grip on an AR-15.

They said the same thing about mausers but its getting harder and harder to find one in good condition, very hard for some models even though they made them by the boatload.  Already thousands of mosins have been cut up.  The rate of destruction is alarming.  This guy did a far better job than most, but he did actually ruin these guns for any collector.   And people DO collect them and seek them out in original condition.  

Personally, I do not care.  You buy it, its yours to destroy -- and I am ok with that.    But there is a valid concern about the continued high rate of destruction of such guns, and on top of that, it is pointless.  It takes too much money to make one shoot straight -- you could buy a new gun for that amount.  And if it does not shoot straight, all the shiny in the world is pointless.  Almost all of them need a new barrel if you want to get 2 or less MOA, and if you are not getting that, no matter how pretty, why bother?!  If it is one of the rare ones that shoots well, it probably should have been left as a collector due to superior condition, so thats a catch-22.

• Like 2

They said the same thing about mausers but its getting harder and harder to find one in good condition, very hard for some models even though they made them by the boatload.  Already thousands of mosins have been cut up.  The rate of destruction is alarming.  This guy did a far better job than most, but he did actually ruin these guns for any collector.   And people DO collect them and seek them out in original condition.  

Personally, I do not care.  You buy it, its yours to destroy -- and I am ok with that.    But there is a valid concern about the continued high rate of destruction of such guns, and on top of that, it is pointless.  It takes too much money to make one shoot straight -- you could buy a new gun for that amount.  And if it does not shoot straight, all the shiny in the world is pointless.  Almost all of them need a new barrel if you want to get 2 or less MOA, and if you are not getting that, no matter how pretty, why bother?!  If it is one of the rare ones that shoots well, it probably should have been left as a collector due to superior condition, so thats a catch-22.

imo to me aslong as its not something rare or worth a bunch of money i say hack it up all you want but thats just me

• Like 1
More or less what Jonin said. While those rifles look really nice, I liken it to polishing a turd. Which isn't to say that mosins are turds (I love mine) just that he did a lot of work making them pretty but they'll still shoot 2-3 MOA just like any other mosin.
Don't have an effective safety??
That stupid. If you pull the bolt knob and give it a turn to put the rifle on SAFE it's very solid and positive. It may be difficult for weak fingered shooters to manipulate but it's extremely effective.

More or less what Jonin said. While those rifles look really nice, I liken it to polishing a turd. Which isn't to say that mosins are turds (I love mine) just that he did a lot of work making them pretty but they'll still shoot 2-3 MOA just like any other mosin.

I see what you mean about the accuracy, except for the trigger job. That's bound to help the shooter shoot better.

I still don't see any harm in making the bolt smoother and making them pretty.

I like pretty guns better than ugly guns and I like bolt actions that cycle easy better than those that don't.

Plus, he didn't put much money into these, just his labor. I have lots of hobbies that produce far less useful results.

Edited by BigK

time is money.   /shrug he has talent and skill, for sure.  

I have no sound, but if that was an orig sniper (rather than a built to look like one) that he messed with, then he did booger up a collector.  For whatever that is worth, there are not so many real snipers out there (but a ton of mocked up ones).

If its a repro sniper, polish away, its already a messed up rifle so no harm can be done to it.

Edited by Jonnin
I would hesitate to call these "bubba'd". I will say that my preference is to leave things stock as much as possible.

Most Mosins will never be worth a ton of money. In a hundred years, most will be worth less than $500, if that. There were far too many produced to ever be a true valuable.

Yeah and that's what was said about Garands too.

The fact that just a few short months ago we were buying these for $80 and now some places are getting $150-$200 should tell you that it's not all about supply but also demand.

I see what you mean about the accuracy, except for the trigger job. That's bound to help the shooter shoot better.

I still don't see any harm in making the bolt smoother and making them pretty.

I like pretty guns better than ugly guns and I like bolt actions that cycle easy better than those that don't.

Plus, he didn't put much money into these, just his labor. I have lots of hobbies that produce far less useful results.

I agree with all your points.  The 2lb trigger seems a bit extreme for a "battle rifle" but I'm sure its nice.  While cocking the bolt in mine takes some effort, it runs really smooth.  Seems like making it really light would somehow take away the authenticity.  It's a mosin, you're supposed to have to beat on it, that's part of the fun.  Maybe I'm just weird.  To each his own. 

time is money.   /shrug he has talent and skill, for sure.  

I have no sound, but if that was an orig sniper (rather than a built to look like one) that he messed with, then he did booger up a collector.  For whatever that is worth, there are not so many real snipers out there (but a ton of mocked up ones).

If its a repro sniper, polish away, its already a messed up rifle so no harm can be done to it.

Then you have the Mosin's like mine - an 'ex-sniper'.  If you look inside the receiver on mine, you can easily see where the screw-holes that were used to mount the scope have been filled in.  The straight-handled bolt in mine, while it bears the same serial number as the rest of the gun, is way too shiny to be the original.  So, in my case, if I wanted to spend the money to have the screw holes for the scope mount re-drilled/tapped, wanted to spend the money to have the straight bolt bent and then wanted to spend the money to buy a 'correct' scope mount and scope I would actually be putting mine back into its original/pre-re-arsenal condition.  How's that for confusing?

Oh, and speaking of re-arsenaled, when a Mosin is re-arsenaled doesn't that pretty much make it no longer 'original', anyhow?  So, by that measure, if you 'restore' an already re-arsenaled rifle are you really doing anything to the historical value?

Edited by JAB

If a gun is truly an important, historical piece - say, Wild Bill Hickock's Navy pistols or Wyatt Earp's six-gun then I would also object to doing anything to change them.  However, when you are talking about a still relatively inexpensive, mass produced Russian military rifle I really don't see all that much 'historical significance' to any, individual rifle.  Sure, maybe 100 years from now they will have some historical significance but 100 years from now the guys who are having fun with their Mosins, now, will be dead and won't give a crap.  I don't feel that way about everything - including every firearm - but not everything has to be a 'legacy'.  Some stuff it is okay just to say to heck with it and enjoy.

I agree with all your points.  The 2lb trigger seems a bit extreme for a "battle rifle" but I'm sure its nice.  While cocking the bolt in mine takes some effort, it runs really smooth.  Seems like making it really light would somehow take away the authenticity.  It's a mosin, you're supposed to have to beat on it, that's part of the fun.  Maybe I'm just weird.  To each his own. 

I read that the reason most Mosins have a sticky bolt is the hardened cosmoline in the chamber. They recommend chucking a cleaning rod in drill, wrapping a few strands of Chore Boy copper pad around a 20 gauge bore mop soaked in Hoppe's and scrubbing it out real good.

I'm gonna try that this weekend.

I read that the reason most Mosins have a sticky bolt is the hardened cosmoline in the chamber. They recommend chucking a cleaning rod in drill, wrapping a few strands of Chore Boy copper pad around a 20 gauge bore mop soaked in Hoppe's and scrubbing it out real good.

I'm gonna try that this weekend.

That is the reason and you really don't need to go to great lengths to fix it.  Just shot it, let some Hoppe's sit in the chamber for a while during cleaning and that should take care of it. 

That is the reason and you really don't need to go to great lengths to fix it.  Just shot it, let some Hoppe's sit in the chamber for a while during cleaning and that should take care of it. 

Not that these guys are the subject matter experts, but I got the impression that once it hardens it takes more than chemicals to remove. I run a 9mm bore snake w/ Hoppe's down mine as soon as I'm done shooting it (still hot) and mine is still sticks.

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm scroll down to "sticky bolt syndrome"

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/eliminatesbs/index.asp

Edited by BigK

Did you ever consider that is precisely why original mausers are becomming moer expensive? If you collect them, it makes yours worth a bit more each time someone makes a deer rifle out of theirs.

Y'all are really gonna blast me hard when my Archangel stock w/ detachable mag comes in.
I'll be sure to post pics so you have something to glare at menacingly.

I'm going for one of those as well. Haters gon hate but at least I'll buy a bubba'd rifle to drop in. Mine are staying the way they are.

I would hesitate to call these "bubba'd". I will say that my preference is to leave things stock as much as possible.

Most Mosins will never be worth a ton of money. In a hundred years, most will be worth less than $500, if that. There were far too many produced to ever be a true valuable.

Yeah and that's what was said about Garands too.

The fact that just a few short months ago we were buying these for $80 and now some places are getting $150-$200 should tell you that it's not all about supply but also demand.

The Garand in in a whole other league. With all the other options for military surplus rifles, I think the demand for Mosins has been so high, only because they were/are cheap.
  • Like 2