Advice on a lawn mower

Just bought a house on a 1 acre lot. House takes up quite a bit of space but there is still quite a bit of yard left. Front lawn has a pretty good slope on it but nothing a riding mower couldn't handle and the back yard slopes slighty from right to left. No trees whatsoever on property and no major obstacles that I would have to maneuver around. Anyone have opinions or ideas on whether I should go self propelled or riding? (Makes, models, etc.) Budget is a concern but I would rather save up and get the best thing for the job rather then kill myself trying to mow it with underpowered equipment or get something that I will have to repair constantly. And I am a hefty fellow so Im not sure how that would affect any specific engine I would get with a riding mower. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if you want to say, but if you can give us a budgetary idea, it would probably help with recommendations.  I would not buy new, but find an excellent condition used Garden Tractor, note that I didn't say lawn tractor.  A garden tractor is usually built a little heavier and will hold up over time better.  Plus it is capable of doing more.  Your budget will make a big difference in what I would recommend.    I would unequivocally recommend a riding mower though.  If there is any slope at all and you are a big guy, push mowing, even self-propelled will get old real fast.   

With 1 acre, I'd definitely get a riding mower.  If money is an issue, look for a used one.  Keep in mind that most all the basic models sold by most retailers (Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) are effectively the same.  Keep it simple.  Fewer "features" means fewer things that can break.

We have a 1.5 acre lawn and going from a 24hp husqvarna 48" tractor to a 50" cub cadet zero turn about the same power, my now time was literally cut in half, and the more I use this thing, the faster it gets.

I can say without hesitation that zero turns are all we'll own from here out. Just need to find something in your pricerange and go with it, iirc we paid $2600 for this one as a new '12 model (was $400 lower than the '13) with the same warranty. Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

I would look for an older rear engine Snapper. They are darned near bullet proof. They are made such that there are very few things that can happen to them.

If my yard were a lot smaller, that is all I would ever have.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I started with a used lawn tractor that I purchased from a repair shop that I frequent. I learned quite a bit and dialed in on the features I wanted. Sold it for what I paid the next season. The size I ended up with is 42" with a floating mower deck. I bought a scratch and dent from Sears (craftsman). Happy with that.

PS - there is a lot of good advice previous to my post. Budget makes a big difference.

I would look for an older rear engine Snapper. They are darned near bullet proof. They are made such that there are very few things that can happen to them.

Yes, Snappers, particularly the old style rear engines are hard to beat for a homeowner. The John Deere's, Husquavarna, and such that you see in box stores are just wearing a name. Just because it is a John Deere don't think your Deere dealer will have or even be able to get parts. Snappers are Snappers around the world. They Re still built with quality and hold up well.
Guest tommy62

I agree, but with my three acres I have a Cub Cadet LT 1046.

Put up some good fencing and get 4 or 5 goats and never feed them.  My neighbor across the street has lived here for 5 years and to this day does not own a lawn mower or weed eater.  Plus, if you do it right, you could make a little pocket change selling said goats and starting with a fresh fleet now and again.

Do not buy any mower that is made by MTD. They buy the brand and peddle their crappy engineering in pretty colorful wrappers only to have constant failures.

Google MTD (Motor Tool and Die) mowers

Buy once, cry once Edited by Currently

My John Deere dealer has parts for my John Deere riding mower.  I've been using the Deere for about 5 years now.  The brand-new Craftsman that I had before blew the engine at 2 years.  $1000 down the crapper.

I do maintenance religiously.  However, sometimes maintenance won't prevent a catastrophic failure.  I won't buy the cheapest mower available again.

Wow. Some great information on here folks! I definitly like the idea of buying used or reconditioned because I agree that the new stuff has too many gizmos and gadgets. That used Cub looks awesome and would snatch it up in a hurry if I just hadn't had to spend $1400 on car repairs. :( I'll look around in the East TN area for a good used riding and see what I can find. Thanks again for all the helpful information.

I have a Cub Cadet 1720 ( 46" cut) that was bought used( with 2 sets of blades). But i really like my dad's John Deere, 48" cut and rides a lot smoother. Think it has a 13 inch turning radius. We tried the zero turn mowers and dad wanted something he could use to pull his "cyclone rake"and other implements around the yard. So he ended up with a JD 320x. Mower before this was a Gravely ( but it burned up in a fire) then he got a used sears craftsman before deciding for sure on the JD. Sold, Actually traded the craftsman mower for another Gravely like he had. Lawn tractors, better than just a mower.

If you can't find a good used mower, contact JWC on here. ( my cousin). I think he mayhave a few mowers. His dad used to buy, fix and sell mowers.

Guest Spurhunter

Almost any mower will work if the lot is clear of obstacles.

What kills most mowers, from personal experience, is hitting items in the yard. Sticks, stumps, rocks and the like can destroy a cheap mower in short order. I have had several friends and relatives buy a cheap mower and within the first day it was cutting uneven or had a massive vibration from hitting something in the yard. And once they are cutting uneven it is really hard to get them cutting right again.

When we first built our house the majority of our yard was bushhogged then a pushmower was used for the remainder. Then we got a old, used John Deere rear motor. It was a great little mower that ran and worked very well. Then we bought a Cub and have been happy. I will say that one thing I liked better is the John Deere was about twice as fast as the Cub. My wife enjoys mowing so speed isn't all that big of a deal but it might be a concern.

For blades, when you have to replace them, get a set of Gator blades. They are not that much more expensive than regular blades but they last much longer. Our regular blades were work out in less than two years. The Gator blades have been on for two years and still working great.

GREAT advice about hitting obstacles. That really is what kills all moving parts and break cheap welds/parts. 

really thought I was stepping up when I bought a Cub Cadet rider, it wasnt as tough as the 8 yr old Murray I just had, so I REALLY thought I was going pro with a Cub zero-turn. What a pile of junk. Worst $2600 I ever spent.  While it doesn't sound in your price your after, I wouldn't buy another mower personally that wasn't a SCAG. I bought a Freedom Z for $4200, its a TANK. Id even buy a used one if the need arose again. Good luck finding what your after.