Tell your daughters to be careful!!!

So I posted a road bike for sale on Craigslist.

Posted Image

So I get an offer to buy, and I accept. The buyer asks if I can meet at their apt complex due to lack of transport ability. I agree, but on the terms that we have to meet out front at the leasing office.

So I pull up and much to my surprise is a young 22ish girl. 5-8" 120lbs soakin wet. Despite the color of the bike it is very much a unisex bicycle. But never once did I think a girl was coming to buy. All correspondence was through text message.

I was super uncomfortable the whole time. I tried to be nice and not like a creep. So she agrees to our terms and then says, my money is in the apt, can you drive the bike up for me. OH MY GOD. I reluctantly agree. Thankfully I got the money, gave her all the bicycle info I could and left.

I don't know of she was expecting a woman because of the bike color or if she is just naive? Either way it makes me afraid for some of the youth out there.

Please tell your daughters not to meet strangers off the Internet, and if so take a large able bodied (armed) friend, I was sure armed. She was completely alone. Sure it was a busy area, but that was on my insistence not hers.

So scary. I know her name, where she lives, what car she drives, where she banks(money envelope), and what she does for a living. All given voluntarily.

Women have been ignorant from day one, regardless of what their daddy's think (if they have one).

Not trying to sound harsh but I've seen girls do more stupid things than any guy, and many guys are as dumb as a post. I honestly think your supreme being of choice watches over the most naive. 

You'd think with rampant stories on the news about rapes, abductions, and killings that girls would be especially careful.

I know first hand that they are not, however. My 16 yr old believes I'm a paranoid idiot just for wanting the front door to stay locked all the time. I guess bad things only happen to OTHER people.

Neil, one thing to consider next time you buy/sell on Craigslist. Always talk to the person on the phone. That's one of my rules. I want to know what they sound like. If my spidey senses pick something up I don't like then I don't buy.

I would never meet just based off a text message.

Just my .02

• Like 2

I had a woman drive out to my house one evening to buy a custom child'd bed I had built for my son.  When he outgrew it, I posted it on CL.  I'm kinda out in the country and my house is 300' off the road.  Not only did she come by herself in the dark,  she was counting out hundred dollar bills before she got inside the house and hadn't even seen the bed.

Guest Lester Weevils

Well, Lumber_Jack, that gal might have been more friendly and less suspicious than usual because of your personal magnetism. :)

Neil, one thing to consider next time you buy/sell on Craigslist. Always talk to the person on the phone. That's one of my rules. I want to know what they sound like. If my spidey senses pick something up I don't like then I don't buy.

I would never meet just based off a text message.

Just my .02

This definitely crossed my mind after the fact! Good advice
Guest RedLights&Sirens

oh you guys are only being paranoid ... if anything bad had happened she could have called the police and they would have taken care of you. at least this is what is being told to today's children. <sarcasm off>

You forgot to add urinate and deficate and throw up all over herself. Just sayin.

Maybe she figured you were a gay man with a teal bike? I think we all can agree here that gay men are completely harmless.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

ROFL! that's funny

Man.. what a naïve girl. Lumber Jack, did you say anything to her about it? In your shoes, as we completed the transaction I would have causally said something like "Just a friendly piece of advice from a stranger, you seem like a nice girl, please be more careful when you meet up with strangers from the internet. Have a friend with you and certainly don't take the person back to your house. You may not always get someone who's on the level."

ROFL! that's funny

Man.. what a naïve girl. Lumber Jack, did you say anything to her about it? In your shoes, as we completed the transaction I would have causally said something like "Just a friendly piece of advice from a stranger, you seem like a nice girl, please be more careful when you meet up with strangers from the internet. Have a friend with you and certainly don't take the person back to your house. You may not always get someone who's on the level."

Excellent advise.. Girls get gone and missing like that real fast.. And I even get creeped out when Gordon deals with people off of Craigslist.. Just because he is a man , things can still happen and they do have happend to men.. I got a weird feeling a few times when we went to go into the mountians to meet a few people..luckily, most are cool.

I've been trying to instill this into my wife for years. I use the comparison of an attractive woman being nothing more than a gazelle on the savannah; it attracts lions. I think chicks have a hard time understanding that any average size man can overpower, rape and murder them at will. The only thing that prevents that from happening is the nature of good people, laws and opportunity.

I think nowadays women are made to believe they are equal in every way to men. If that were true there would be an equal number of battered women's shelters to battered men's shelters. Men are inherently dangerous animals that are only contained by a combination of proper raising and modern law. A lack of one or both, or a disregard of such, leaves nothing more than a violent and dangerous animal that will take what he wants by levels of force determined by himself. For this reason women should be armed, and know they should be armed.
  • Like 2

Excellent advise.. Girls get gone and missing like that real fast.. And I even get creeped out when Gordon deals with people off of Craigslist.. Just because he is a man , things can still happen and they do have happend to men.. I got a weird feeling a few times when we went to go into the mountians to meet a few people..luckily, most are cool.

I had it out with my wife not long ago because she was looking at a chair she wanted on craigslist. She talked to the woman on the phone and just up and decided to meet her without telling me!!! WITH MY KIDS IN THE CAR!!!!! I flipped my wig obviously. Long story short, that won't happen again.

Sadly, she knows better than this. She's always leery of others but for whatever reason she talked to this gal on the phone, felt comfortable chatting with her about kids and what not and just had a lapse in judgment. It was perfectly harmless but very well could not have been. Even typing it here makes me want to go home and call her an idiot again....

Man, My wife is bad about this stuff. She will just give out personal info to anyone. We had a door to door security system salesman stop by last week. I was outback working in the garden and just happened to walk into the back door as she is talking to the guy with the front door wide open, she is a small woman 5'3" 115 lbs I do not like when she does this. She then calls me up to talk to him... I did not want to listen to his sales tactics, I worked sales for years and I have heard it all. I tell him that at the moment we are not interested but she keeps on talking telling him way more than he needs to know she even brings up my guns..... I quickly wrapped everything up and shut the door after that and then I explained AGAIN to my wife that she does not need to tell anyone about my firearms or any other personal info. My wife is very naive she grew up sheltered all the way through college and never really had to make a tough decision or experience real life until after we got married. I love her and she is one of the best people i have ever met but come on man!

It ain't just stupid girls either. This iPad I'm using right now was bought in a parking to through Craigslist. This guy, about my age showed up, jumped out and walked right up. Happy little fella. Paid him and moved on. Well, I handed the iPad to my wife so she could set it up for me and guess what? I have pictures of him with his kids, his email passwords, social security number, home and work address and a few other things. He didn't delete anything. If I were a cyber criminal I could have took this guy to the cleaners! STUPID!

Needless to say I deleted it all but damn!
He also walked right up to my truck without caution. I hadn't even rolled down a window yet because I always look before I leap.

Y'all be careful out there!
Guest confidence

How about this for a twist...

What if you were the one that was vulnerable? A gal like this could be being used by BG's who want you to think you're in a harmless situation. Maybe the first step is to get you back near the apartment and maybe they are waiting there or maybe she convinces you to carry the bike up the stairs for her, etc. Before you know it you get jumped. Just sayin'. Don't forget your SA when selling on CL even if it is a female!

How about this for a twist...

What if you were the one that was vulnerable? A gal like this could be being used by BG's who want you to think you're in a harmless situation. Maybe the first step is to get you back near the apartment and maybe they are waiting there or maybe she convinces you to carry the bike up the stairs for her, etc. Before you know it you get jumped. Just sayin'. Don't forget your SA when selling on CL even if it is a female!

Oh I agree. And that's why I was reluctant to go in past the gates. But I drove up to her building, but parked in an open spot. I looked around before moving out into the open. I was armed and had an AR pistol in the truck. If they were gonna get me it was gonna be one hell of a shoot out.
  • Like 1