Out of State Gun Deals

Found what I think is a pretty good deal and didnt realize that it was out of state. I guess what Id like to ask if any of yall buy a lot of guns out of state from individuals. Im obviously concerned about getting ripped off/scammed, receiving a broken gun, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations and would YOU trust this guy or make this deal? I know its a very fair deal. The pictures are really nice, looks pristine. How would YOU arrange this?

I copied straight from my email so the conversation is backwards if youre gonna read it.

-----------------

I understand your concern about trying to protect yourself. I'm a military man, I can send you a scanned copy of my Military ID  so you know the person you are dealing with. I cannot do anything funny, i sworn to protect and serve the country, why would i destroy it just because i want to sell my firearm, The USPS Money order is backed by the government, the bank will have transaction history for it and also you are sending to my mailing address, there is no way i can hide from my identity, if i try to do anything funny...i'll have to deal with the ATF and FBI because of the firearm and post office involved, i can never try to do anything bad, so you have nothing to worry about. Let's just work this on TRUST...Here is the deal,you can send the USPS Money order at the post office by Express mail(overnight), so when i receive the mail, i'll ship to your FFL dealer via UPS next day delivery with insurance along with a copy of my DL.Do we have a deal? Please keep in touch.

------------

Im not sure how comfortable I am sending money off and buying a gun sight unseen. Im not really sure how we could handle this transaction. As a former police officer, I have a hard time trusting people.

-------------

No Problem,Am Located In Norman,OK.yes it Comes with Original Box as well,Let me know If you are Driving Down to get the Gun or i can cover the shipping cost shipped to your FFL,Let me Know your Thought.

Thanks.

-------------

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Where are you located? And do you have the original box as well?

-------------

S&W 1066 10mm. Excellent condition. Comes with case(not original), 2 magazines, 50rd box of Underwood Ammo(FMJ), Hogue Grips, original grips, Recoil Buffer installed and Original night sights(still operational). Has Wolff XP 22lb Spring installed.I will Let it Go $500.
First off, I'm a suspicious guy by nature. So lets ask this question. Is this a "too good to be true price?"I'm by no means an expert on Smith pistols or 10mm. But this seems a little low to me.

And not trying to scare you off, but that opening paragraph from the seller reads just like one I received a couple of years ago in trying to buy an AR from a guy in Ohio. Right down to the US Military and USPS references. I got a runaround in trying to contact my seller for several days. Everything from missed my calls to off base on "detached duty."

This listing was from Armslist I believe, but definitely not from GB or GFA listings; so I really had no way to check out the seller. Finally after several emails that seemed vague and a poorly worded, I just told him I wasn't going to purchase. It was just too difficult to get it all organized.

Not saying what you are looking at is the same, but I personally would not do this. It seems kinda off to me. And he asks you to drive out of state to meet and pick up the gun? NOT ME.

And his "I'm a military man" seems a little odd. Military, not a branch of service. And the grammer and syntax seem a little off.

Have you spoken to the seller? Any communication besides email? Is he willing to give you a contact number? A spoken conversation would give you a better feel for the seller and the situation.

But all this is just speculation on my part. Could be all well and kosher. But I don't think I'd risk sending payment on this.

But again, I just don't like the situation.

You've got to make the decision for yourself.

Good luck with it. Edited by hipower

My spider sense is going nuts on that one. That's  "Craigslist Scam" talk if I ever heard it. They used to use broken english but they are getting wiser and using good english now. To my knowledge once a money order is cashed it can't really be traced and the gov. isn't going to refund you just because you got ripped off. He may be legit but unless you could meet FTF or get him to take it to a local gun shop and deal with them I wouldn't touch it.

You could always have him take it to an FFL to hold it for shipping. You can then contact the FFL them to varify everything's authentic. I once did a deal like this. His FFL faxed a copy of their license to my FFL. When it was varified that they were indeed a real FFL gun shop & had the gun in hand I sent payment & recieved my pistol a few days later at my FFL. The most important part is to use a protected payment method like USPS MO & send payment with tracking & require a signature. If he's willing to do this you might be safe, but if he's reluctant then I would walk away. While scams do happen, I've been careful & have had no problems. I've bought as many firearms from out of state/online sellers as I have FTF.

• Like 3
Hipower, all of what you said are my thoughts and thinking exactly.

Luvmyberetta, that is the kind of solution I was looking for. Im going to see what he says about that.

DaveTn, yes it is quite the collectors item, no longer produced and very few ever made. Arguably the best 10mm ever made.

• 1 month later...
So he's willing to pay shipping on that gun and ammo for $500?

That's $25-30 for the gun and another $15 for the ammo.

He's selling an $800+ gun for $455 out the door.

Coupled with the recent armslist scams.

This feels like a Nigerian scam to me...too scary. Unless you got $500 to blow, I would pass.
Guest nra37922

---------------

I understand your concern about trying to protect yourself. I'm a military man, I can send you a scanned copy of my Military ID  so you know the person you are dealing with...

Don't forget Obama has a Hawaiian birth certificate....