First open carry at Walmart - New yearly tradition!

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

I woke up this morning thankful for my freedoms and decided that I would start a new yearly tradition of open carrying on Independence Day. I normally only conceal carry, except on rare occasions.

So I open carried to Walmart for the first time, then to the fireworks stand and then drove back to my little bitty town and open carried at the little bitty country store.

At Walmart, nobody really cared. There was this one manager-looking woman who stared at me a little, but that's about it. Of course, I did have a baby on one arm and was with my wife and kids so that may have helped. ;)

Then, we all walked to the far end of the Walmart parking lot to the fireworks stand and got some fireworks. Nobody cared there, either.

Next, we went to a friend's house and did some skeet shooting, etc. After that, I went into the country store in my town, leaving the family in the car. I know the owner, and he asked me what I had been up to. I told him we had been shooting and the conversation got on guns. A few guys were sitting there in chairs and stools as they like to do in my town. It's actually funny. Like the country store is the hangout. The place to be. Straight out of a bygone era only still happening in real life today. So one of them asked my what caliber my pistol was and we talked a bit about the ammo shortage. After that, got back to my poor family waiting in the car and went home. Very uneventful.

Tonight I will OC at the local fireworks display. I'll let you know how it goes...

Happy Independence Day!!!!

:usa:

Edited by confidence
Guest TankerHC

Thought OC was not legal in TN (I know, its legal and Constitutional everywhere, unless re-interpreted by Politicians)

That is one thing i have yet to have the nerve to do. Open carry even though it is legal in TN with a permit. Only reason why i haven't is there are way too many sheeple who think any person not wearing a badge and carrying a gun is the bad guy.

It's perfectly legal and is why TN doesn't issue a concealed carry permit.

Yup, OC is perfectly legal. Tennessee's permit is an HCP (handgun carry permit), not to be confused with a CC (conceal carry) permit.

The decision to carry OC or CC is entirely up to the permit holder.

Guest TankerHC

Man thats great to hear. I haven't had time to check into TN laws thoroughly. I have watched the THP video on Handgun Permits, but nothing was mentioned about OC, just lots of what NOT to do. Example: The Officer said if there is a crime in progress, even if someone's life is in danger, you are not to intervene. Specifically stated "Just because you have a handgun permit does not make you law enforcement", which is true of course, but someone standing there carrying is not supposed to render aid if it requires using your firearm?

I need to go over the laws thoroughly.

I don't recall much from the videos we had to watch for the HCP, but if "don't intervene" is in there, it's wrong, legally speaking. If it's (still) there I would  think the THP's intent with it is to cut down on the number of new permit holders who have too much Hollywood nonsense in their brains from getting hurt or hurting innocents. TN law does allow deadly force to prevent death or serious bodily harm* to yourself or another person. By definition, that would be while a crime is in progress. The "does not make you law enforcement" is 100% correct. Intervening or not is a personal choice. It may or may not be the astute thing to do depending on the circumstances.

*That's defined in TCA with very specific language.

Edited by monkeylizard

confidence,

glad your OC mission went well.  Having kids in tow does change the appearences. 

I once stopped in Lowe's in Paris for a pit stop.  While in the restroom, someone came in with an OC Glock.  We chatted for a bit, during which, I saw his badge, TBI bombsquad, he talked about guns/carry, positive conversation.

First time i ever notice someone oc was at wal mart about 2 'months ago. Black guy in his 50s. Gave him a nod and a have a good day.

My first was at Wally World, gun low on the thigh and his carry badge mounted to his holster.

Guest confidence

My first was at Wally World, gun low on the thigh and his carry badge mounted to his holster.

Carry badge? :rolleyes:  Sigh....lol

Guest confidence

Update, as promised...

Well, after this I went with the family to a state park last night to watch the fireworks and open carried. We met up early with various friends and staked out our little area to put chairs and food, etc. My family got there first and as I set our stuff down in our spot a man came up almost immediately and said something like, "Came prepared for anything with that thing, eh?" I just chuckled.

Next, our friend's relative asked me about my firearm and wanted lots of detail because she wanted to purchase one for a family member. Another friend asked me about the caliber and we got talking for a while about firearms when this teenager comes up to me just salivating about the coolness of the Glock. Apparently, my wife knows his sister and mother who happened to be walking by. Small community here. ;) Anyway, he for whatever reason just happened to holding a little gun book in his hand and started looking up "Glock". :) He proceeded to talk about guns nonstop for the duration. ;)

Then it was time to take everybody down to the State Park visitors' center to go um take care of restroom needs. I open carried into the visitors' center and they had some park people letting people hold these giant birds. There was a hawk, owl and eagle! They had to put the eagle back in its cage because it was getting ornery but I got to hold the owl and a friend took a picture of me open carrying while holding it on my arm. Best OC pic ever! ;)

Then, we headed back to our picnic spot and saw a friend. This particular friend is confined to a wheelchair and is a Democrat. He asked me what kind of Glock I had and told me that he usually open carry's but today was concealing. I've never noticed him open carrying, but I suppose that is because the wheelchair conceals it a bit? Anyway, as a conservative myself, I was surprised that he as a Democrat not only is an HCP but open carries. :) I told him and most of the other people I got in gun conversations with that I normally conceal but wanted to celebrate our freedoms on Independence Day and that is why I was open carrying.

Later in the evening, I walked back to our vehicle with my kid for something and this guy started staring at me. He said something to his friend in a low voice like, "He's gotta lot of nerve to carry that thing up here." I couldn't tell from his tone of voice whether he was in approval or not. But no one called the police and we had a great time celebrating freedom from tyranny! Feels boring being back to carrying concealed today, though. ;)

I don't OC. I recall reading a tactical book... can't remember which one... that promoted being gray. In this case, gray meant don't stand out. Don't draw attention to yourself with dress or mannerism. OC definitely draws attention to yourself.

OC means losing the tactical advantage of surprise. OC means that if a bad guy starts shooting, you'll be shot first.

Sometimes, though, I've stopped to gas up late at night and noticed people eyeing me. I've casually uncovered my OWB holster so it was clearly visible. I've done that once is a supermarket parking lot as well and the guy suddenly swerved away.

Now, if anyone wants to OC, I'm fine with it, but it's not for me.... color me gray.

• Like 3
Guest confidence

I don't OC. I recall reading a tactical book... can't remember which one... that promoted being gray. In this case, gray meant don't stand out. Don't draw attention to yourself with dress or mannerism. OC definitely draws attention to yourself.

OC means losing the tactical advantage of surprise. OC means that if a bad guy starts shooting, you'll be shot first.

Sometimes, though, I've stopped to gas up late at night and noticed people eyeing me. I've casually uncovered my OWB holster so it was clearly visible. I've done that once is a supermarket parking lot as well and the guy suddenly swerved away.

Now, if anyone wants to OC, I'm fine with it, but it's not for me.... color me gray.

As I noted in my OP, I don't normally OC. The reason I usually CC is for the same reason you do: Tactical advantage. But yesterday was different. I decided that one day a year I am going to start OCing as a celebration of my freedoms. :)

Update, as promised...

Well, after this I went with the family to a state park last night to watch the fireworks and open carried. We met up early with various friends and staked out our little area to put chairs and food, etc. My family got there first and as I set our stuff down in our spot a man came up almost immediately and said something like, "Came prepared for anything with that thing, eh?" I just chuckled.

Next, our friend's relative asked me about my firearm and wanted lots of detail because she wanted to purchase one for a family member. Another friend asked me about the caliber and we got talking for a while about firearms when this teenager comes up to me just salivating about the coolness of the Glock. Apparently, my wife knows his sister and mother who happened to be walking by. Small community here. ;) Anyway, he for whatever reason just happened to holding a little gun book in his hand and started looking up "Glock". :) He proceeded to talk about guns nonstop for the duration. ;)

Then it was time to take everybody down to the State Park visitors' center to go um take care of restroom needs. I open carried into the visitors' center and they had some park people letting people hold these giant birds. There was a hawk, owl and eagle! They had to put the eagle back in its cage because it was getting ornery but I got to hold the owl and a friend took a picture of me open carrying while holding it on my arm. Best OC pic ever! ;)

Then, we headed back to our picnic spot and saw a friend. This particular friend is confined to a wheelchair and is a Democrat. He asked me what kind of Glock I had and told me that he usually open carry's but today was concealing. I've never noticed him open carrying, but I suppose that is because the wheelchair conceals it a bit? Anyway, as a conservative myself, I was surprised that he as a Democrat not only is an HCP but open carries. :) I told him and most of the other people I got in gun conversations with that I normally conceal but wanted to celebrate our freedoms on Independence Day and that is why I was open carrying.

Later in the evening, I walked back to our vehicle with my kid for something and this guy started staring at me. He said something to his friend in a low voice like, "He's gotta lot of nerve to carry that thing up here." I couldn't tell from his tone of voice whether he was in approval or not. But no one called the police and we had a great time celebrating freedom from tyranny! Feels boring being back to carrying concealed today, though. ;)

This!!!!!! Is why I open carry whenever possible!! This is a text book example of how to conduct yourself and be an ambassador of carrying a gun. There is no telling how many people you have inspired to buy or carry a gun of their own. Imagine if more people OC on a daily basis.

Good for you!!

As I noted in my OP, I don't normally OC. The reason I usually CC is for the same reason you do: Tactical advantage. But yesterday was different. I decided that one day a year I am going to start OCing as a celebration of my freedoms. :)

I am the same way and warming up to the idea of copying you in this.  Yes, it's settled, I'm going to start OCing an Owl!  

JK, I do like the celebration of freedom though:-)

I knew a democrat who is against guns but had a HCP.....

Actually, I don't think that's too uncommon. What they can/should have is not the same as what you should have. They're entitled.
Edited by jcj

This!!!!!! Is why I open carry whenever possible!! This is a text book example of how to conduct yourself and be an ambassador of carrying a gun. There is no telling how many people you have inspired to buy or carry a gun of their own. Imagine if more people OC on a daily basis.

Good for you!!

"Second Amendment Ambassador "

Now, I surely like the sound of that!
  • Like 1
Guest bluecanary25

Glad you had a positive day of OCing!  Disappointing when some here treat having a HCP as a secret club or some form of shameful behavior.  Maybe a secret handshake and signs??  I often get asked about information on acquiring a HCP and I am happy to point the way.  When I do meet people that believe that OC is against the law, I refer them to Dept of Safety and look it up.... or invite them to call the police.  I try to keep it cordial and state the facts.

As for being "gray".... experience shows me that most people do not notice someone carrying a firearm on their hip.  Then again, 'cuz I'm an old fatman, I'm not considered a threat  :rofl: ?

I get far more positive responses to OCing.

Update, as promised...

[URL=http://s277.photobucket.com/user/bubbiesdad/media/pointlessstandard_zps32416d36.jpg.html]pointlessstandard_zps32416d36.jpg[/URL]