Snake guns

Chris

Mine was always a youth model 20ga single shot I got for my 11th B-day. I have only had to use it twice for this both times squirrel hunting and almost stepped on a copperhead. I promise it was him or me cause I almost stroked out both times and I am not scared of snakes. A wise man about reptiles named Robert Allen(Allen reptile Co, Memphis TN) taught me one important thing as a kid. Non venomous snakes are territorial and will keep the nasty ones out if there is only so much food. The non-venomous snakes will fight for their pond where the venomous will simply move on. My rule is kill the poisonous, and leave the non and eventually your pond will be snake free.

Let's see, my most memorable snake moment.....I shot a, what turned out to be a 4ft black snake, with my .38 snubby while under my dads house running new cable wire. I moved a piece of insulation and heard a hiss and felt what I assume was the tail hit the back of my neck. Needless to say, I screamed like a girl and zonked my head on a rafter and about knocked myself out. When I figured out that it was a "big" snake that was under the house with me, not knowing what kind or just how big, I whipped out the .38 and waited motionless, scared that I was about to be bit by something. I heard a sound, heard a thud and saw motion. The damn thing just dropped down onto the ground with me. I take aim and right as the snake turns and looks at me I let the round fly. Slight downward shot through the neck below the head and into the ground. Realized with it being 5ft away I had snake guts in my hair. Wonderfull....

Guest Bonedaddy

Probably right Mac but wait....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerodia_rhombifer Just what we've always called'm as long as I can remember. And that 8.2 foot or more is on the low side. two friends and I caught one that was a tic over 11 and have seen'm bigger than that. It's the most common watersnake around.

Big water snakes hurt like hell when they bite ya in the ass. I know. :eek:

And that territory thing is usually true but...cottonmouths are VERY territorial when matin' (usually May in these parts) and will run "everything" out of their area. Been a few times over the years that we motored up into the wrong cove fishin' to figger out we didn't need to be there. Even gators don't like to be in a standoff with'm.

Probably right Mac but wait....

Yer link goes to "Nerodia rhombifer Just what we" blank page on Wiki, but I figgered it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerodia_rhombifer

Cool, that's one I didn't know about, and they're pretty distinctive, too.

TWRA only puts out an East TN poster, don't seem to have one for middle and west, or the whole state.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/snakesposter.pdf

But I see it is indeed on their "Watchable Wildlife" site:

http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/display2.cfm?habitat=&sort=aounumber&typename=Reptile&Taxonomicgroup=Reptile%20-%20Snakes

That Diamondback Watersnake is a nice looking snake, prettier than the Northern (Nerodia sipedon). :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Bonedaddy

Hell, they 'bout look the same. Don't know why it went to a blank page unless it does like my 'puter does at times. Just takes it a sec, I reckon. Outta all of'm, I see them the most, by a long shot, followed by the broad banded (confused for copperheads) and then the yellow bellied (confused for cottonmouths and the one that bit my booty). Never let someone convince ya that slangin' a snake between your legs, closin' your legs then slowly pull'm out, while holdin' its tail is a good way to get'm behind the head. Nope. Don't do it. And for what it's worth TWRA and the local biologist haven't a clue what "all is" out here.

Hell, they 'bout look the same. Don't know why it went to a blank page unless it does like my 'puter does at times. Just takes it a sec, I reckon. ...

Somehow you got the words "just what we" included in actual link, click on it yourself to see.

Anyway,  see my post not long ago 'bout my pet Pine Snake growing up? I always found snakes fascinating:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/67246-id-this-snake/#entry991715

- OS

Guest Bonedaddy

Don't know how that happened. Pine snakes are kinda rare, ain't they? Not many left to be found that I know of but I remember a news story a year or so, ago, of one found down in Louisiana IIRC. Coulda been MS Outdoors for all I know.

Don't know how that happened. Pine snakes are kinda rare, ain't they?

Not that I've ever heard. I'll check it out.

edit: Nationally, seems to be on "least concern" for conservation status, but by Durn yer right as far as TN.

from "watchable wildlife":

"Status in Tennessee: The Northern Pinesnake is listed as “Threatened” by TWRA and considered rare and uncommon by Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation. Populations are declining due to loss of habitat, decline in habitat quality (fire suppression), and road mortality."

Found this on another site, mentioning some other states also:

"Conservation Status: Pine snakes have no federal protection, but several states have them listed as threatened, with a few having laws protecting them. This species has been decreasing rapidly in its northeastern range and is believed to have been extirpated from West Virginia and Maryland. It is also at a high risk of being extirpated from the New Jersey pinelands. In Georgia, pine snakes are listed as threatened and have a state conservation rank of S3 (rare to uncommon). Some forestry ecologists consider fire exclusion and associated habitat degradation to be a cause of decline for the pine snake in eastern parts of its range."

That's too bad. Course, remember I gabbed my gal back around maybe '60-'61 when I were a kid. That's in the nineteen hundreds, btw. :)

There were lots fewer people and lots more critters of all kinds then. Hell, just for example,we had huge quail bevies in outer suburbs in McMinn County, and from what I hear, you can't hardly scare up a brace much of anywhere anymore.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Bonedaddy

Yea, there was. It really worries me, at times, all the changes I've noticed over the years, in the woods and on the water. Things are no longer so prestine, as I once saw them. Farmers will gripe and try to counter it but their chemical use has cause major changes in the enviroment in many places. I just can't understand why a farmer will cut down a measely 5-10 acres of woods, when there's very little wood patches around, in the first place, just to plant a few more GMO beans or corn, right next to a major creek over here. Seen many trees and fish in ponds killed due to untested chemical pesticide and weed killer. As usual, they let the consumer do all the quality control on a new product before they really now the results of its use. Monsanto has'm all by the balls. I use to catch Ringneck and Hognose snakes quite often but not anymore. Been a buncha years since I've seen one over here. The more I think about it the more I think man will never figure out a self sustaining economic or ecologic system. Don't think he's smart enough or even cares, for the most part. And it kinda bums me out.

Yea, there was. It really worries me, at times, all the changes I've noticed over the years, in the woods and on the water. Things are no longer so prestine, as I once saw them. ...

Besides all the poison, there's just the simple fact that there's a LOT more people, which means a lot LESS habitat.

Little ole Knoxville, where I used to live just 10 miles from town, I could fish and hunt and and ride cycle on back roads fast with little traffic, etc.  Wildlife galore. Now that area is 75% concrete, the little lake is gone, and predominant wildlife is pigeons living off waste from human beans. Just a small example, it's of course same most everywhere, just varies by degree.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Bonedaddy

Yep. That too.

Went down to my fave little fishin' hole, over here and while a rain storm had me trapped under the bridge, a 3' long cottonmouth almost swam right up to me, until I moved and it decided to go the other way. Most I see there are venomnous. Some of'm damn big, too but they don't bother me and I don't bother them, unless they swim right up to my feet then, usually, a poke with the rod will move'm along.

7mm mag will throw a big Eastern Diamondback shot at end if barrel about 15-20 feet straight up. Flailing about, one may think "oh poop, what if his head's still functional? He may land on me! I better run like a girl real fast!"

It's a most effective snake killer though. Just not very easy to holster and carry all day

If 7mm Mag won't kill it, I don't ever want to meet it.

• 2 months later...

Keep the grass cut short around the pond and remove any brush or other hiding places for critters.  Snakes like to hide and hunt other critters that hide in areas where there's cover.  And you really want the snakes there as they do an excellent job of controlling the population of other less desirable critters. 

Designate a "play area".  Play here, stay away from there.  Teach them to identify the various snakes they might see. 

http://tennessee.gov/twra/pdfs/snakesposter.pdf

http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/display2.cfm?habitat=&sort=aounumber&typename=reptile&Taxonomicgroup=Reptile%20-%20Snakes

That said, do what you need to do to protect the kiddies. 

What critter is less desirable than a snake, peejman? Let's see, in case one has you cornered...there's the Snake Charmer .410 single shot... and a Super Comanche that has chokes to shoot .45 L.C. / .410. The choke tube stops the bird shot from swirling as it exits the muzzle, for a much more even pattern. Lots of fun to shoot!

Guest The Itis

If your kids are close enough to be in danger of that snake, then they are close enough to have their hearing damaged from you firing whatever you choose to fire.

Go with a shovel or a pruning chainsaw or throw a tarp over it and do a jig on it or get an air-powered pellet gun.

What critter is less desirable than a snake, peejman? Let's see, in case one has you cornered...there's the Snake Charmer .410 single shot... and a Super Comanche that has chokes to shoot .45 L.C. / .410. The choke tube stops the bird shot from swirling as it exits the muzzle, for a much more even pattern. Lots of fun to shoot!

For me... basically any sort of small rodent (mice, rats, moles, Obama's, ...) and the fleas, ticks, and lice that come with said critters.

• Like 1
Guest Lowbuster
I've encountered a lot of snakes this year. Try using shot shell in 38 or 44 and aim about 1-1.5 inches behind the head. Works every time and while out in field jut keep one or two in revolver and other chambers for bigger threats.

Rattlers is one thang we don't hafta worry 'bout 'round here but they sho' is a bunch of'm 'round my brother's house in Desoto county, MS, as well as, copperheads and cottonmouths. Got all that cool kudzu to hide in down there. His choco lab got bit by one or the other, a couple years ago but she lived. Dogs are damn near immune to'm.

I wouldn't be to sure about that. There was a rattlesnake killed last year in Milan (gibson county) so I guess they are migrating this way

I've encountered a lot of snakes this year. Try using shot shell in 38 or 44 and aim about 1-1.5 inches behind the head. Works every time and while out in field jut keep one or two in revolver and other chambers for bigger threats.

Are you able to find the .38 shotshell local or do you order online? I need to get me some in .38spl or .357mag for my GP100 to carry when working outdoors around my property. My son has some in .45acp but I would prefer the revolver for the shotshell.

Been seeing a few snakes around my property and my neighbor's wife got bit by a copperhead while working in the flowerbed around their house last year, she was ok after a few days in the hospital. Makes you think.

Are you able to find the .38 shotshell local or do you order online? I need to get me some in .38spl or .357mag for my GP100 to carry when working outdoors around my property. My son has some in .45acp but I would prefer the revolver for the shotshell.

Been seeing a few snakes around my property and my neighbor's wife got bit by a copperhead while working in the flowerbed around their house last year, she was ok after a few days in the hospital. Makes you think.

I picked up a couple 10 rd boxes for my old man in .38 special at the local Ace Hardware, but I always see it at the gunshows. Usually about $10-12 for 10 rds.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 1
Guest Bassman17SC

My buddy has a cabin in Clay County that overlooks Dale Hollow reservoir.  He has to deal with a lot of copperheads, the largest killed being 42 inches long.  He always carries his .22 Magnum revolver filled with shot shells on his hip while up there.  It has been very effective.

Next to a shotgun, a revolver loaded with shot shells is the next best thing, IMHO.

Guest Lowbuster
Mcgarret
I got some at bass pro for .38 and found some at gun show for 44. It's expensive but worth it. Also can you imagine getting a face full of it? I've got a derringer and cci shot won't fit in it.
  • 2 weeks later...

Come on guys. Really?! Shoot the stupid snake and keep your family safe. Common sense dictates.

I'm glad someone finally said it! Come on, it's a snake... Speeding is also illegal, but I'm sure no one EVER goes more than what's posted. Protect the kids. Kill the snake.

If your kids are close enough to be in danger of that snake, then they are close enough to have their hearing damaged from you firing whatever you choose to fire.
Go with a shovel or a pruning chainsaw or throw a tarp over it and do a jig on it or get an air-powered pellet gun.

Shovel? Tarp? Chainsaw? Pellet rifle? You're joking right? It's a snake. I hit one a week in my truck driving the back roads to work and back. No fines so far. If one is by my kid on my property, he's getting the top barrel of my Bond Arms Snake Slayer. F the tarp or shovel, I'm rocking the 410. Edited by Mykltn