Pretty sure a guy that bought ammo this morning

Is now flipping it on armslist for $100 profit. I know this happens all the time but this time I was in line with this guy and know how/where he got it b/c this ammo has been sold out forever. Hmmmm...what do I want to do with this situation. Part of me says nothing, part of me says something.

If no one buys it he won't be able to sell it for $100 profit. I suggest that you don't buy it. If you want to go a step further sell anyone who needs ammo any that you can spare at your cost and ask them to do the same should you ever need any. I've done this with several friends and members here and it has been able to keep many from having to buy any ammo off gun broker.

As long as people are willing to stand in line for ammo and pay those inflated prices, the madness will continue.

Unless someone has zero personal defense ammo, I don't understand why they would stand in line for the possibility to buy some ammo. Those standing in line are just as much of the problem as those buying for resale, along with those willing to pay the inflated prices.
Edited by TripleDigitRide

As long as people are willing to stand in line for ammo and pay those inflated prices, the madness will continue.

Unless someone has zero personal defense ammo, I don't understand why they would stand in line for the possibility to buy some ammo. Those standing in line are just as much of the problem as those buying for resale, along with those willing to pay the inflated prices.

People standing in line are doing it b/c that is what they have to do to be able to get ammo these days. How are they the problem for doing it and shooting as opposed to someone that catches a box as they're getting groceries in Walmart?

Edited by Junkstack
  • Like 2
They create demand by standing in line and buying the ammo. If you want the price to drop and these people to stop gouging, everyone needs to stop buying ammo for a while and let production outpace demand. It will starve these guys out. But everyone needs to stop.
  • Like 4

They create demand by standing in line and buying the ammo. If you want the price to drop and these people to stop gouging, everyone needs to stop buying ammo for a while and let production outpace demand. It will starve these guys out. But everyone needs to stop.

We're going to start a price war between gas companies!! Everyone should avoid buying gas on Friday!! That'll teach 'em!! Post it on Facebook and get your friends to do the same!! This will work guyz!!

That type of stuff?

• Like 1

People standing in line are doing it b/c that is what they have to do to be able to get ammo these days. How are they the problem for doing it and shooting as opposed to someone that catches a box as they're getting groceries in Walmart?

As long as the resellers see that people are desperate enough to stand in line for only the hope of the possibly of walking away with ammo, they will continue to buy for the purpose of reselling at a profit.

Sometimes you're better of making a small, short term sacrifice for the greater good. If you truly need ammo, that's one thing, I guess. Stalking the ammo counter only for the purpose of hoarding or blasting ammo at the range is not going to help the cause. It only shows the resellers that there's still no shortage of desperate suckers who are willing to go to extremes for a few rounds of ammo.
Edited by TripleDigitRide

We're going to start a price war between gas companies!! Everyone should avoid buying gas on Friday!! That'll teach 'em!! Post it on Facebook and get your friends to do the same!! This will work guyz!!

That type of stuff?

Those are really two different scenarios. The whole gas thing IS a joke because you pretty much NEED gas on a daily basis and the suppliers know that. They can make it all day long and they know someone is going to buy it. 

Apply that to the ammo re sellers and they see the same thing. The demand is there. If they are the only ones showing up at Walmart every morning though then they may begin to wonder if they will be able to unload all of this ammo they are buying. Once they are unsure of their ability to make a quick buck they will slowly die out.

Edited by maroonandwhite

This is capitalism. It's the way it works. It's not an unethical practice despite how much it pisses people off.

It's unethical when there's collusion between the employees and customers.  It's called insider trading in the stock world, and is illegal.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

This is capitalism. It's the way it works. It's not an unethical practice despite how much it pisses people off.

:bs:  Nothing about it is ethical the way I see it. Personally I've got plenty of ammo and did not buy any from the gougers. Most are conducting business without paying the proper ammo taxes, nor are they paying income tax of the money they are making.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1
It might make everyone angry but buying for a given price and marking up for a profit is capitalism.

If you got a deal on a car and flipped it for a profit, what's the difference? Sure, somebody would be pissed but that's just life. It all boils down to the haves and the have nots. The have nots are always upset with the haves for having something they want.

Fair pricing and price control for anything is communism. That's why there are anti-monopoly laws. To keep absolute control out of people's hands.

And, as has been stated over and over, there is no law that says you have to buy anything you fell is unreasonably priced.
  • Like 5

Regardless of the high school economics, those who practice their version of "capitalism" by greasing WM employees for intel, buying everything up and then reselling it at 100-300% profit are assholes. 

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 14

It might make everyone angry but buying for a given price and marking up for a profit is capitalism.

If you got a deal on a car and flipped it for a profit, what's the difference? Sure, somebody would be pissed but that's just life. It all boils down to the haves and the have nots. The have nots are always upset with the haves for having something they want.

Fair pricing and price control for anything is communism. That's why there are anti-monopoly laws. To keep absolute control out of people's hands.

And, as has been stated over and over, there is no law that says you have to buy anything you fell is unreasonably priced.

I'm not for price controls, and the guy can do whatever he wants with the ammo he bought. What I don't understand, to use your car analogy, is if people were waiting at car dealerships for shipments, and buying ALL the cars before they hit the lot, and doing it for nearly a year now, wouldn't manufacturers ramp up production to meet demand?

This ammo shortage has lasted longer than I expected, and I smell a rat. I just can't put my finger on it quite yet.

Regardless of the high school economics, those who practice their version of "capitalism" by greasing WM employees for intel, buying everything up and then reselling it at 100-300% profit are assholes. 

There are no shortages of a##holes for sure!!!

• Like 4

WalMart must feel same way even if there isn't a kickback involved. One TGOer lost his job reselling ammo he bought with employee discount.

- OS

I pretty much buy ammo from either Shooters, in Nashville, or I pick it up online by watching gunbot.net, slickguns.com or gun-deals.com. Between those three sites, I have always had enough ammo to shoot my AR15, 22lr and 40s&w. I just save up for a few months and then buy in bulk. I also shoot nearly every weekend so I use up what I buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WalMart must feel same way even if there isn't a kickback involved. One TGOer lost his job reselling ammo he bought with employee discount.

- OS

Ruger rep said 14 managers were fired for buying stock and reselling it.
Wouldn't surprise me.

That being said the great thing about capitalism is that it will eventually self regulate. The swing will be in our favor at some point. Kinda like how AR's are starting to bottom out. Don't know where the bottom will be but it will be LOW. There will also be a thinning of the massive amount of startup middlemen.
Guest travr6

The ammo shortage is because the govt bought it all up and the manufacturers are obligated to fill govt contracts first.

That is not Capitalism. That is corporate welfare in a police state.

Edited by travr6

The ammo shortage is because the govt bought it all up and the manufacturers are obligated to fill govt contracts first.

That is not Capitalism. That is corporate welfare in a police state.

Uh, no. Even if they filled the contracts in one year, it would only equate to 3%-4% of total production. Those contracts are over a 5 year period to begin with and haven't even begun to be filled. It's not helping but the only reason there is a shortage is that the demand from regular consumers is that high. I know it's hard to believe but there really are that many people buying that much ammo. If you just look at the shear number of NICS checks you will start to understand. Multiply that number exponentially with ammo consumption and there is your shortage.

Manufacturers make ammo on schedules based on yearly projections. When those orders are increased dramatically overnight it takes them nearly a year to fully cycle production numbers up to meet demand. Even if the manufacturers started new lines it would take them the better part of a year to get a production tooling up and running. Then you have to train new employees to run tooling. It's not like making burgers at McDonald's.

I'm told Kel-Tec doesn't even have the time to train new workers or they'd fall farther behind. Truly interesting times in the gun world.

• Like 4