Just walked away...

I went shopping in Knoxville for new clothes. I have been very fortunate to be hired full time after three years and need a few more nicer shirts and pants. As I approached the door, carefree and looking forward to buying three or four of each and then going home for the WVU kickoff I was stopped dead in my tracks as I was denied service, as well as entry to the East Town Mall.

I have not been there I suppose in forever and only once that I can think of. It was nearly abandoned this morning, but there at the door I was barred entry.

I felt offended. I should not perhaps but I did. I felt violated. I was not bothering anyone, but going through my life.

I was stopped by a small red sticker that told me that entry into the premises was relegated to those that forgo their rights to self defense by carrying a legal weapon.

I have heard all the arguments, but let me state if it is a business that is open to the public they should not have the ability without proving intent to harm to charge someone with a felony. Signs should have no force of law.

I was scared. I could have walked by it and been a felon in the same stride as Dahlmer or Hassan and just because I was caught up in enjoying my morning.

Some day those that say well its business they have rights are going to realize that can no longer carry their weapon in a park for a afternoon stroll, into a restaurant for a great meal, or into a store to purchase clothes. It is coming. Seattle is trying to get all business to do it as the council won't pass a law banning weapons.

On that day I will not tell you I mentioned this. Instead I will merely shrug and wish that we had found a better way to convince people that we are not bad people and that we are among then daily - and that criminals do not respect the laws that we do.
  • Like 1

Fallguy, as I understand it in Tennessee that the sign carries with it the force of law and that it is not a misdemeanor. If I am in error I apologize, nearly sure it is though. 

Per TCA 39-17-1359  "(2) Possession of a weapon on posted property in violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of five hundred dollars ($500)."

And, of course, you'll likely lose your carry permit.

Hrm... Thanks, I was wrong. Either way, criminal record which is not something I want - and as you say looking your right to carry. 

And yes, it is posted now on the main entry next to Belk. I did call and tell the store manager that they had denied me service and that I had intended to purchase some clothing. 

Edited by Paladin132

Please do sir. I think that we should be respectfully vocal about the fact that if lawful gun owners are not welcome, that we get the message. 

Anyone have any suggestions around Morristown or Knoxville to buy decent mens business clothing?

Kholes has some nice clothes and sometimes great deals on the clearance rack.

I know I am in the minority, but its rare that I make a purchase at any brick and mortar stores for any merchandise due to issues like above and plus I don't want the hassle.  If it wasn't for perishable groceries, I would buy them online too.  Only internet retailers, local restaurants, gas stations and on an occasion Armslist/Craigslist gets my money.  Maybe society doesn't want me or my money anymore.  When the UPS man says that he can't deliver unless my door has a gun buster sticker, then I know the SHTF has truly happened in my world. :rofl:

• Like 4
Guest nra37922

Not saying to break the law but if you go through Sears and carry well concealed who's to know?  Course with the East Town area you're outgunned anyhow unless you carry like Voldemort,and even then.....