Areas to Stay Out Of...

Guest nra37922

Chattanooga area: stay away from highland park

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Got turned around one day and found myself smack dab in the middle of Highland Park. I was trying desperately to find my way out, but every turn seemed to take me further into the maze. Finally, I saw my escape route. It's a good thing nobody was in my way or they would've been run over.
  • Like 1
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="UncleJak" post="1026164" timestamp="1378212147"] Chattanooga area: stay away from highland park sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee[/quote] I've never had any trouble there. I pass through there on my way to Rossville and Fort Oglethorpe Ga. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

In bigger cities I avoid MLK blvd and any intersections involving MLK blvd as well as 2-3 blocks on either side of MLK blvd. I also avoid any streets with state names or president names, ie Washinton ave, Jefferson ave, Texas ave, Oklahoma ave, etc. These seem to be pretty universal in every big city I have been too.

Also, most areas outside of military installations tends to be kind of rough around the edges.

In Knoxville Magnolia and about two blocks on either side of it are rough areas. I drive down it every time I go to town and never had an issue. We play the "Is she a hooker?" game as we go. I have been caught down there a time or two after dark and it is a very scary place to be.

• Like 4

Had to stay at a Holiday Inn (an OLD one) right smack in the center of downtown Atlanta a few years ago for a work-related class.  Didn't seem too bad until a co-worker and I went for a walk.  Turned a corner and it was like flipping a switch from "seems ok" to "uh-oh, lets GTFO".  Wasn't too far from Underground Atlanta, either, which has a really bad reputation now.  

In Knoxville, just immediately east of the Old City (yes, going toward Magnolia/Cherry area) seems like a place I wouldn't want to be after dark.

Guest TresOsos

Ever spend any time there?  It's no better or worse than other cities I've been in. However you must keep an awareness of your surroundings.

Grew up there for the most part, lived there some as an adult, spent a lot of time there going back to visit parents.

Yes it is worst than a lot of other Cities I've been in, quit kidding yourself, it's a *h*thole and is's going to get nothing but worse.

Edited by TresOsos
Haven't found anywhere I wouldn't go in chatt. Anyone that thinks it is bad here should go visit some real cities. Philadelphia and Indianapolis have been some of the worst I've been to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Haven't found anywhere I wouldn't go in chatt. Anyone that thinks it is bad here should go visit some real cities. Philadelphia and Indianapolis have been some of the worst I've been to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

it's definitely not as bad as some places, but still best to avoid any trouble when possible.

When I was in Memphis I was in trader homes, dixie homes, orange mound. These are not so nice places.
Worst I've ever been to has to ne Cabrini Green in Chicago. THAT is a rough place.

• Moderators
After living and working in some of the areas I have in Memphis, nothing fazes me anymore. I remember when I was in Utah and was told that the area of SLC we were driving through was the "hood" and I laughed thinking that it looked like Bartlett. What living in Memphis (and paying attention to the crime report maps) has really taught me is that it doesn't matter if you think you live in a "safe" area, crime happens everywhere. This goes for where ever you are, not just Memphis. There is no such thing as a "safe" place, crap happens everywhere so be prepared for it but don't let fear of it rule your life.
  • Like 2
Guest Bonedaddy

Right Shoes and with that I'll say anywhere within 100 miles of another person. 101 miles and I'm happy, happy, happy. Can't remember the last time I was 3x happy.

Worst I've ever been to has to ne Cabrini Green in Chicago. THAT is a rough place.

Didn't they tear that down 6 or 8 yrs. ago?

Do you remember back about 1980 when their mayor (Jane Green ?) spent a weekend there to prove it was safe. I'm guessing she had a security detail of at least 50. 

Guest Bonedaddy

When my step dad got the special agent job with the Union Pacific Railroad the first place they sent him, as with all new recruits, was the Canal St. rail yard in Chicago. Had to do 2 years there before you could transfer somewhere else. That was back in 82 IIRC. Your head had better be on ball bearings 'round that place.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="bubbiesdad" post="1026602" timestamp="1378259414"] Oak Ridge, Tulsa Ave. and South, South West of it.[/quote] Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Lived in oak ridge for eight years been through there day or night. Never had any issues. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

it's definitely not as bad as some places, but still best to avoid any trouble when possible.

When I was in Memphis I was in trader homes, dixie homes, orange mound. These are not so nice places.

You lived in those places?

Surprised no one has mentioned pretty much the entire area of Madison.  I worked out there 2008-2009.  Had grown up in the area and it wasn't too bad.  Dad worked in Madison for 30 years and watched it go down hill.  By the time I got out of there in '09 it was crap.  Of course there are decent neighborhoods stuck in here and there, I feel bad for the people that have worked their whole life to have a nice house there.  Not to mention the other neighborhoods I passed through to get to work like Lakewood and Rayon City.  I hated that the cops enforced that 50 MPH speed limit on OHB so much I always felt 50 MPH made me an easy target.

In bigger cities I avoid MLK blvd and any intersections involving MLK blvd as well as 2-3 blocks on either side of MLK blvd. I also avoid any streets with state names or president names, ie Washinton ave, Jefferson ave, Texas ave, Oklahoma ave, etc. These seem to be pretty universal in every big city I have been too.

Also, most areas outside of military installations tends to be kind of rough around the edges.

In Knoxville Magnolia and about two blocks on either side of it are rough areas. I drive down it every time I go to town and never had an issue. We play the "Is she a hooker?" game as we go. I have been caught down there a time or two after dark and it is a very scary place to be.

I see you've been to Clarksville. You named every street we have, and most in the areas I mentioned. Damn your good!

DaveS

• Like 1

Didn't they tear that down 6 or 8 yrs. ago?

Do you remember back about 1980 when their mayor (Jane Green ?) spent a weekend there to prove it was safe. I'm guessing she had a security detail of at least 50.

Yea I heard it got tore down. That's the best idea to ever come out of Chicago.

You lived in those places?

Yes. Except cabrini green; I was just there for a week so I wouldn't say I lived there per se.