a guy I work with was frisked by police in knoxville for expired tags

vontar

a guy I work with was  frisked by police in Knoxville.

Of course I don't have the full story.   He was stopped for expired tags and they Frisk him after stopping him.

This was after he answered yes to do you have any weapons in the car.  He answered yes, he had a baton.

It is my understanding they had him get out of his car so they could frisk him.  Seems a bit over kill.

I have been pulled over by police 5 times in my adult life.   5 times I was the driver, 2 times as passenger(I believe).  Never was i ask to step out of the vehicle except the one time I was the passenger Lafollette .(the driver had out of state tags and they ask me if I knew him).  (at that time i thought, what a dumb question) ( I will swear on a bible it was a trumped up stop to this day. based on what I know to this day.  This was over 10 years ago)

(one time as a driver the cop didn't even get out of his car, pulled up beside me talked me, ask me a few question and told me I wasn't who he was looking for,  I said that is a good thing.)

He only got basically a fix it ticket but seems a bit over kill to have a person get out and Frisk them for expired tag.  I believe were less then a month over due as they expired the end of Aug. .  he says he actually forgot to get the updated and fully admits that is his mistake.

He thinks they had him get out and frisk him because he was nervous about being stopped.

*(my jar is empty) 

Edit, corrected a number.

Edited by vontar

a guy I work with was frisked by police in Knoxville.

I have been pulled over by police 3 times in my adult life. 4 times I was the driver, 2 times as passenger(I believe). .

*(my jar is empty)

Are you a product of this core curriculum I keep hearing about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 8

If he was nervous about being stopped and then admitted to a crime (carrying a club), why do you think it was overkill to check him out? They could have arrested him.

Unless he is certified to carry a baton.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 1

I don't know if he is certified for that or not.  (I am)

I guess since they didn't arrest him for that, or charge him for having it he must have been.

I guess my thought is, if I am get puleld over and advise the officer I have my HCP and I am carrying, not like he needs to frisk me to locate it.

I guess I feel if I admit I have something, it probably isn't hid from the officer at that point.

Edited by vontar

I have been pulled over by police 3 times in my adult life.   4 times I was the driver, 2 times as passenger(I believe). 

*(my jar is empty)

Are you a product of this core curriculum I keep hearing about?

'scuse me while I get a paper towel.......I have coffee all over my new ipad.
  • Like 2

Yea, I got my numbers a bit wrong last night  I was drinking some of the strong stuff.  I probably shouldn't have been posting.  :D

BTW

'scuse me while I get a paper towel.......I have coffee all over my new ipad.

This forum is hard on personal electronic devices/monitors of all types.

Edited by vontar
Got pulled over for the same thing a few months ago. Except I had renewed the tags and forgot to put the sticker on. As she approached the window, I had my license and the sticker in my hand. She merely said "go put it on". I got out and stuck the sticker in my plate while she sat in her car and watched. No other questions, no frisk, no problem.

Got pulled over for the same thing a few months ago. Except I had renewed the tags and forgot to put the sticker on. As she approached the window, I had my license and the sticker in my hand. She merely said "go put it on". I got out and stuck the sticker in my plate while she sat in her car and watched. No other questions, no frisk, no problem.

I'm so bad about this. My wife puts the registration with the sticker in my truck and tells me to out it on. Then it sits in my glove box for several months until I dig something out of there and see the sticker staring at me.

I've done the same. Been pulled over, looked and found it. Cop and I both had a laugh or two, more than once. I searched for

my insurance card for ten minutes(seemed that long, anyway), looked towards the passenger seat, and there it was the whole

time. Another laugh.

a guy I work with was  frisked by police in Knoxville.

Of course I don't have the full story.   He was stopped for expired tags and they Frisk him after stopping him.

This was after he answered yes to do you have any weapons in the car.  He answered yes, he had a baton.

It is my understanding they had him get out of his car so they could frisk him.  Seems a bit over kill.

I have been pulled over by police 5 times in my adult life.   5 times I was the driver, 2 times as passenger(I believe).  Never was i ask to step out of the vehicle except the one time I was the passenger Lafollette .(the driver had out of state tags and they ask me if I knew him).  (at that time i thought, what a dumb question) ( I will swear on a bible it was a trumped up stop to this day. based on what I know to this day.  This was over 10 years ago)

(one time as a driver the cop didn't even get out of his car, pulled up beside me talked me, ask me a few question and told me I wasn't who he was looking for,  I said that is a good thing.)

He only got basically a fix it ticket but seems a bit over kill to have a person get out and Frisk them for expired tag.  I believe were less then a month over due as they expired the end of Aug. .  he says he actually forgot to get the updated and fully admits that is his mistake.

He thinks they had him get out and frisk him because he was nervous about being stopped.

*(my jar is empty) 

Edit, corrected a number.

here is an idea.  Take care of your business!   He is lucky his car was not impounded.  I have no sympathy for people who bring problems upon themselves.

Guest Keal G Seo

Bit much if you ask me as well.

You guys did spark my interest in being certified for a baton though. Is that just for things that classified as a "baton" or is it any club? I used to carry a tire bat in my car and am wondering what the difference in a tire bat and an actual baton would be. When I think baton I don't think old school kinda T shaped ones, I think expandable straight baton and seems any club like object is just as effective.
So what is the deal on being certified for a baton?

NEWS FLASH!!!

Man breaks several laws then complains about law enforcement doing their job.

I wish they had a database of people who complained about cops doing their job and when they call 911 they get a recording "I'm sorry we are unable help you" followed by a click.

Carrying a baton is against the law unless you are a certified. Why carry a baton when carrying a firearm carries the same penalty if you are not certified?

There is some question as to what this guy did was or wasn't against the law...  carrying a baton on your person is against the law with a little bit of paper...  Having one in your car out of reach of the driver, is probably perfectly legal under current state law.

So, we just don't have enough information to say whether this guy was or wasn't breaking the law at this point.

NEWS FLASH!!!

I wish they had a database of people who complained about cops doing their job and when they call 911 they get a recording "I'm sorry we are unable help you" followed by a click.

Carrying a baton is against the law unless you are a certified. Why carry a baton when carrying a firearm carries the same penalty if you are not certified?

If he was nervous about being stopped and then admitted to a crime (carrying a club), why do you think it was overkill to check him out? They could have arrested him.

TGO is educational.  I had no idea that carrying a baton/club is against the law.  Lucky for me, I only carry a .45.

That's just one of gazillion stupid laws.  I can carry a pipe, or a tire iron, or a baseball bat but not a baton?  I can even carry an unloaded rifle without a permit but not a stick.  That would just be too dangerous.

I wish our lawmakers would realize that it's not the device that is dangerous, it's the person.

TGO is educational.  I had no idea that carrying a baton/club is against the law.  Lucky for me, I only carry a .45.

That's just one of gazillion stupid laws.  I can carry a pipe, or a tire iron, or a baseball bat but not a baton?  I can even carry an unloaded rifle without a permit but not a stick.  That would just be too dangerous.

I wish our lawmakers would realize that it's not the device that is dangerous, it's the person.

New one on me too. :shrug:

It's not "baton" in the prohibition statue,  it's "club". Almost anything can be a "club" according to TCA definition,  including a sap (most likely thing I'd consider carrying).

Having one in your vehicle is a matter of interpretation and context, depending on what/where it is -- having an extensible baton is according to statute same as having a loaded firearm and is pretty clear cut, as there's no general reasonable use for it like with a baseball bat or tire thumper. Walking around with a "club" narrows intent down significantly.

The way defense statute is worded, "club or baton",  seems clear that if you have acceptable training certificate, would cover any "club", not just "batons".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

So where / how would one go about getting this certification?

Likely best to post a new thread probably in Tactics/Training forum if you really are looking, unlikely to get much response here with existing thread title.

Various places around the state have been mentioned from time to time when topic has come up before.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

So where / how would one go about getting this certification?

I got mine from the same trainer I got my HCP training though.

the Cert is only good for 2 years and then you are suppose to retrain.  I probably won't.  Didn't enjoy the OC/Pepper spray too much.

NEWS FLASH!!!

having a baton raises more suspicion than having a firearm w HCP or gov ID unless its a legit work tool.A show me whats in your pockets or pat down  is always in order.cheap insurance...no one gets hurt,hopefully...

Guest nra37922

AND where does one go to get Baton certified?  I haven't found a place in Knoxville that offers this to civilians

Guest Keal G Seo

AND where does one go to get Baton certified?  I haven't found a place in Knoxville that offers this to civilians

I was surprised to learn you have to be baton certified. But as for where to get the cert, anywhere that offers "Armed/Unarmed Security" training should be able to accommodate you.