Flitz as a media polish?

Guest BCR#1

Guest Lester Weevils
I put a capful of flitz in each tumble and it makes the brass noticeably shinier than before I started using it. Before, it would get clean but not bright/shiny.

Dunno how many flavors of flitz. Maybe some are formulated too strong for tumbling? Dunno. The flitz I use, it says on the bottle "Flitz Tumbler/Media Additive" and it was sold at a gun store, so seems designed for the purpose.

Says on the bottle-- "Cleans, Polishes & Protects Brass & Nickel. Suitable for corn cob, walnut or other media. Ammonia free. No build-up."

The stuff looks like thick, opaque green slime.

On the back of the bottle they also recommend Flitz metal polish for firearms metal parts polishing and also Flitz rifle/gun/knife wax. Edited by Lester Weevils

If I ever run out of the 20 or so free bottles of Black Magic car wax I got when I worked at AutoZone, I may give Flitz a try... as it stands, I pour maybe a tablespoon's worth of the car wax into the media and let it run without any brass in it for a few minutes about every 5th load.  (I'm on my second bottle, after 4 years)

I tried the dryer sheet thing once, and I must be the only dummy whom it didn't impress. :shrug:   It just kinda' got in the way, imho.  I think adding the car wax in helps to keep dust down for me anyways, as it's never really an issue.

I use a mix of about 70% corn cob, 30% walnut, and let it run about all day sometimes!  My brass always comes out SUPER shiny and slick.  I feel like a leprechaun with me very own pot o' gold!  I deprime/resize after polishing, and the finish the car wax gives the brass helps them run through the brass like buttah!

Harbor freight

Their tumblers are cheap but the bowls look on the flimsy side. They do have the best price on walnut media though, $20.97 for 25 lbs. if you have the 20% off coupon.

Bill

Their tumblers are cheap but the bowls look on the flimsy side. They do have the best price on walnut media though, $20.97 for 25 lbs. if you have the 20% off coupon.

Bill

I've got one of the Harbor Freight tumblers and it is great. It has had countless thousands of pieces of brass run through it and does a much better/quicker job than the Frankfort Arsenal that runs beside it. It has a heavier counter weight than most tumblers but the bowl is a big part of the speed, rather than just moving the media and brass around in circles, it also rolls it from the outside in as it goes in a circle. The only issue with the Harbor Freight model that I have run into is, the long threaded bolt that stick up to tighten down the lid will eventually strip. Now I probably 8,000+ pieces of brass through it before it got to bad to use but I replaced it and kept on rolling. I've not used every brand of tumbler but I can tell you, mine does an impressive job and for half the price of most others, it's a winner.

As for additives, I've not used any yet but I have been using the Lyman rouge/nutshell media on my finished rounds and it leaves them looking like brand new rounds. It can leave rouge residue but I dump the rounds out on a towel, lift up each end so that they are sitting in there like a hammock and raise each end up the back down letting the roll back and forth, let them roll back and forth 3-4 times and your done! I don't recommend this media for smaller bottleneck empty brass because it can be very tough to get all the media out of the brass.

I use it. It's awesome. Much better than Nu Finish. More expensive too. Check the reviews...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1544122273/flitz-brass-case-polish

I use this as well and it is amazing stuff.

Something else I have done before is added airsoft BB's to the mixture. I initially did it because I didn't have enough media and wanted to bulk it up some. It seemed to work really well but be forwarned the BB's will fit inside the cases of certain calibers and render them useless. I used them on 45ACP and 9mm. I don't use them anymore because they eventually began to make their way onto the floor. If you had shooes on you slipped if you didn't it hurt like hell when you stepped on them.

The cleanest result I have had was (I think dolomite suggested it?) the lizard litter.  Its horribly dusty, but it gets the brass cleaner faster than anything else (admittedly only a few tried) that I have tried.   Even dryer sheets only help so much with the dust.  Its not a problem when it is active, its just an issue when you pour the brass & media out that it makes a big cloud.  

The only other thing I do is I put my brass trimmings in there.  Sharp brass on brass shavings seem to help polish the cases.  I do not trim enough stuff to have a lot of shavings, so this is a small amount, less than 5% of the media volume is brass cuttings.  They tend to embed in the dryer sheets after a while so the % of shavings stays kinda low.

The cleanest result I have had was (I think dolomite suggested it?) the lizard litter.  Its horribly dusty, but it gets the brass cleaner faster than anything else (admittedly only a few tried) that I have tried.   Even dryer sheets only help so much with the dust.  Its not a problem when it is active, its just an issue when you pour the brass & media out that it makes a big cloud.  

The only other thing I do is I put my brass trimmings in there.  Sharp brass on brass shavings seem to help polish the cases.  I do not trim enough stuff to have a lot of shavings, so this is a small amount, less than 5% of the media volume is brass cuttings.  They tend to embed in the dryer sheets after a while so the % of shavings stays kinda low.

I use lizard litter with Flitz. The dust isn't so bad with that combination. I also use a Hornady tumbler with a solid lid. I'm sure that helps with dust.

You can also probably do this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-coupon912-aff-17560.html?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=wts-coupons&hftref=cj

Sweet, thanks, I had a 25% that I used several times but the cashier was a stickler and had to keep it. I'd had it for some time and used it on 15-20 purchases so I had grown attached. Almost she'd a tear over it.

I do use a squirt of Brasso or some junk like that in my walnut media and it helps quite a bit  but 

im not a shiny brass junky,2 hours in the tumbler and im fine with it - keep in mind chemicals do shorten the life

of the media..Drier sheets didnt do much IMO

I use one of these for 3 years now,works great but wish it was larger

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Edited by SonnyCrockett