Truckers to shut down DC for 3 days starting October 11th?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Thats the claim right now on Youtube and Facebook. Or was, Facebook keeps removing their page links. Hard to tell if its true or not other than this Youtube video and this one photo.

EDIT: Its up and so is their website. And its not November 5th, some people told me it was the 5th, October 11th. And there is a n article on The Blaze. They are hgoping for enough truckers will execute a general strike shutting down commerce as well as the Capital. 

https://www.facebook.com/ridefortheconstitution

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/18/why-are-truckers-threatening-to-shut-down-washington-d-c-for-three-days-straight/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4hzre3rjoQ

Edited by TankerHC

Like many others, the trucking industry — which I am part of — has long been going to hell in a handbasket. I would love nothing more than to get out of this business, but finding a job paying similar wages isn't likely going to be an easy task. Anyone willing to train, hit me up.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I was in England when the truckers decided to blockade the refineries. The shelves were stripped in minutes. It only lasted a few days but...

This may be a bit less likely to cause issues but if you think it might, probably get some extra stuff in asap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_protests_in_the_United_Kingdom

Edit: Oh wait, this is DC? LOL. Nevermind.

Edited by tnguy

Yes. This is pretty much why I was against Gitmo and junk like the Patriot act from the beginning. It all seems to start out pretty reasonably with dealing with "Those bad guys who are so obviously bad that they obviously need dealing with in the harshest and most direct way possible" but pretty soon you see that circle widening in your direction.

Meanwhile, genuine acts of terrorism are "work related incidents".

Edited by tnguy

Very few really independent truckers these days in the sense of load by load wildcatters operating under their own authority. Probably 90% or more of owner operator are leased to a company.

Meaning, no way to boycott anything, unless they want to be fired/lose contract. About the only real strike that could mean anything would have to be by those still in the Teamsters, and that's a vast minority anymore, numerically UPS drivers make up most of them.

Point is, I don't see how a trucker "shutdown" is really possible these days.

- OS

Very few really independent truckers these days in the sense of load by load wildcatters operating under their own authority. Probably 90% or more of owner operator are leased to a company.

Meaning, no way to boycott anything, unless they want to be fired/lose contract. About the only real strike that could mean anything would have to be by those still in the Teamsters, and that's a vast minority anymore, numerically UPS drivers make up most of them.

Point is, I don't see how a trucker "shutdown" is really possible these days.

- OS

Company drivers could "strike", but when it comes down to it, so few are willing to risk much of anything to make a point. It's all about numbers. If enough drivers were willing to take the risk, there would be very little risk. Very few companies, if any, could afford to fire a large portion of their drivers at one time.

[quote name="bersaguy" post="1040053" timestamp="1380297346"] They will probably all be declared Terrorists by this administration. Isn't that how they think in Washington? If your not for them and their beliefs your a terrorist???? :rant: :rant:[/quote] According to some people on the forums here, this would be called domestic terrorism as well. [url="http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68193-#Block4Trayvon---Friday,-July-26"]http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68193-#Block4Trayvon---Friday,-July-26[/url] If you think the actions discussed in the link above would have constituted domestic terrorism, then that same logic should apply to a bunch of truckers shutting down the freeways in Washington DC. I, think, as I did in the posted thread, that this is a simple act of civil disobedience as a form of protest. However, if we do not get a grip on how we use the term "terrorism" then this type of peaceful protest might quickly be tagged as domestic terrorism in an effort for the government to be able to shut it down. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by jcluff

seems I remember as a kid, truckers did something like that in Canada.  They interviewed an American truck who was pulled over with the group and he said something about he was told they would not guarantee his safety if he didn't pull his over too.

If I remember correctly they parked their trucks in a line, only leaving 1 lane for traffic forcing a slow down.  Don't know what it was over or exactly when (80's).

I remember a big Truck Caravan type protest to Washington sometime in the late 70's I believe it was, forget exactly what the protest was exactly, maybe fuel prices/taxes.

I remember standing on viaduct here in Knoxville watching it pass, maybe couple thousand rigs, was impressive. Can't seem to find web reference right off.

Here's some convoy protest to Washington scheduled for Oct. 11-13, is this the same thing as topic?:

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/convoy-to-d-c-truckers-to-shut-down-america-in-october_09172013

- OS

Guest TankerHC

Just got a text that the truckers have shut down I-40 east @ MM 225. The end is near!!!

What? Must be some sort of accident. They have been posting to their FB page not going to happen until October.