Traffic dangers/complaints

tercel89

Well I had a great "kid free" date with my wife of 16 yrs this last  Saturday MINUS the crazy IDIOTIC traffic. We left the kids with Grandma and we had our date. We went to Nashville and it was great except for MORONS who rode my ass and followed too closely ! I swear there were times that people were behind me and I could not even see their headlights ! Oh what I would give to have this happen when I were at work  :cool: . Then everywhere we went in the parking lots there were at least 5 people that we saw that were parked over two spaces . We just about got "T-Boned" twice from red light runners . Man , I swear about 20 yrs ago this was never as severe as it is now . I guess I cant complain , Clarksville is worse ! We were in Nashville for our little outing.  I always try to leave some good distance from the car in front of me in case he has to stop in an emergency but some MORON always seems to jump into that area ! That seems to happen in every town . Why are people in so much of a hurry ? I am only 40 and I still leave my house one hour in advance of an appointment or such . OOOHHHHH CURSE WORD !!!!!

Edited by tercel89

I thought everyone knew the car length for every 10 mph rule.  Its a simple rule, if you are going 50, and someone is less than 5 car lengths close to you, one of 2 things has to happen -- they back off, or you have to adjust your speed to match their distance.  Since you are only in control of the second option, the ONLY solution is to slow down until the problem resolves itself.  It works very well though!  They usually honk or wave howdy or something friendly but in the end they always either pass you or back off!

• Like 1

I thought everyone knew the car length for every 10 mph rule.  Its a simple rule, if you are going 50, and someone is less than 5 car lengths close to you, one of 2 things has to happen -- they back off, or you have to adjust your speed to match their distance.  Since you are only in control of the second option, the ONLY solution is to slow down until the problem resolves itself.  It works very well though!  They usually honk or wave howdy or something friendly but in the end they always either pass you or back off!

Unfortunately only TCA laws here are  good  when the judge approves  :shake:

Edited by tercel89

I thought everyone knew the car length for every 10 mph rule. Its a simple rule, if you are going 50, and someone is less than 5 car lengths close to you, one of 2 things has to happen -- they back off, or you have to adjust your speed to match their distance. Since you are only in control of the second option, the ONLY solution is to slow down until the problem resolves itself. It works very well though! They usually honk or wave howdy or something friendly but in the end they always either pass you or back off!

This is exactly what I do. It seems people drive like maniacs all over Clarksville now. Used to be that was only on 41A. Now I got some Vin Diesel wannabe up my rear every where I go. One of these days one of them is going to be buying me a shiny new bumper.
  • Like 1

This is exactly what I do. It seems people drive like maniacs all over Clarksville now. Used to be that was only on 41A. Now I got some Vin Diesel wannabe up my rear every where I go. One of these days one of them is going to be buying me a shiny new bumper.

I brake for wildlife , LOL hint hint Squrills , oposums, racoons, ..... LOL . You need to hit the brakes 

I brake for wildlife , LOL hint hint Squrills , oposums, racoons, ..... LOL . You need to hit the brakes

Yeah, it seems like I always have my kids in the truck though. I had one tailgating me hard on Kraft St one day when I was driving by myself (in a line of traffic behind the gravel trucks, so im not sure what this guy wanted me to do... gravitate or something?) and I came close to letting him eat my bumper, but there was so much traffic behind him I was worried about starting a chain reaction.

as devil's advocate, I would like to state that all of the people who want to just sit in the left lane (the fast, or passing lane), make the rest of us nuts. I think that is where 80% of the road rage comes from. All of those KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS or SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs need to be in flashing neon. 
I am not condoning nor encouraging "ass riding" though. thats just stupid.

Heck , my wife and me even love the chances of getting to go through detours and exploring new roads and areas . IT gives us time together and chances to see new areas . Time is not that important , at least when you leave ON TIME ! LOL 

Leave on time? What a novel concept.

• Like 1

well, as I have gotten older my driving has also gotten slower. If I am on a two lane highway I will drive what ever the speed limit is but no faster. If I get a guy riding my bumper I just slow down a little and if he remains there I slow down more and in most cases they get the message to back off or I will be diving at school zone speeds soon. I get dirty looks when they finally get a stretch of road they can pass me in. Sometimes that never happens and they just have to follow me. but once I do speed back up and they are still behind me they remain back far enough for me to see their headlights. On 4 lane divided highways I will always drive in right lane and most times drive 5 to 10 miles under the speed limit and get passed by everything on that highway. I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere any more and I just enjoy riding and driving around. I buddy of mine went and had a bumper sticker made in the mall that read "I stop for all animals crossing the road. Be prepared to stop Quick" He had it on the back of his car 1 week and he had to get a new one when a turtle was crossing the road and he stopped. They guy behind him didn't. They guy climbed out from behind his deflated air bag raising all kinds of hell about the guy stopping because for the turtle. All my buddy did was get the turtle and move it the rest of the way into the direction it was headed and put it off in the weeds on the shoulder and while doing that he was on his cell phone calling the police to report the accident. This guy that did the hitting was still raising hell when the cops got there. Finally the guy got on the police officers last nerve. The police officer told the guy in plain English that he didn't care if the guy stopped to watch a UFO land in a field you cannot hit them in the a$$ so just shut up about it and handed him his ticket for causing the accident. My buddy had to go have another bumper sticker made. It was on a small two lane side street so neither person was going very fast. Speed limit is 35 on that street. But I loved the police officers statement to the guy........ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I get cutoff at least five or six times a day going down Madison Street.
Someone with a damned cellphone glued to their head is usually the
culprit, or a soccer mom, with kids in tow, heading down the last straight stretch toward town past Moore School, where I live. Tercel knows, and
that nice two lane to one lane bottleneck is always entertaining.

Tercel, at least you got to escape home base for a while. Hope your
date was fun!

as devil's advocate, I would like to state that all of the people who want to just sit in the left lane (the fast, or passing lane), make the rest of us nuts. I think that is where 80% of the road rage comes from. All of those KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS or SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs need to be in flashing neon. 
I am not condoning nor encouraging "ass riding" though. thats just stupid.

Even in the "fast lane"  or the "passing " lane the speed limit must be kept and not exceeded .

Yall just need to chill, I drive for my job, site to site all day long.

I dont tail gate, just drive the speed you feel good at, take your time.

You will get there in one piece.

Yea I know it is hard to do, but I have been doing this for over 20 years and still

do not have high blood pressure.

It is all in the way ya feel.

Ya cant whoop everybody in one day.

• Like 1

You guys should try it in Memphis every day. Nothing I hate worse than having someone right up on my bumper when I doing 5 miles an hour or better over the speed limit. And most of the drivers that are the worst, you can bet don't have any insurance.

I don't understand why people will risk their lives and others just to feel they get where they are going faster. I always end up back right behind them at the next light. Then there's my all time favorite, the people that will kill someone not to miss their turn off. Get the biggest truck you can and drive slow. Works for me.

Even in the "fast lane" or the "passing " lane the speed limit must be kept and not exceeded .

Unfortunately most of the population does not agree with that statement and it is no one but law enforcements job to enforce it.

If someone wants to pass then let them by, but don't get mad if they ride your tail while you're in the left lane. That's why slower traffic keeps right. I go over the speed limit frequently and sometimes I get caught, but I will be the first to admit I was speeding.

Yall just need to chill, I drive for my job, site to site all day long.

I dont tail gate, just drive the speed you feel good at, take your time.

You will get there in one piece.

Yea I know it is hard to do, but I have been doing this for over 20 years and still

do not have high blood pressure.

It is all in the way ya feel.

Ya cant whoop everybody in one day.

When I used to drive a truck I had to deal with these situations all day, every day. I agree with Red, you have to chill out and be the better man but it requires a constant effort. Defensive driving!

I always tried to take the view that I was a professional in the midst of a bunch of amateurs and I made it a point to try to adapt and overcome and not let it get to me. There was many a time that I stopped for a break when I really did not need it just to get away from the bunch that was running down the road with me. Anyone ever been to Chicago? That can try even the most patient man.

One scenario that comes to mind happened on Alcoa Highway, somehow I could drive all over the country and I would have the most close calls right here close to home. A construction company truck pulled out in the left lane directly in front of someone in a minivan, when the construction guys realized they were about to get hit then they decided to come into my lane. I got the tractor trailer slowed down in time but came within inches of them, and I observed the guys in the truck laughing about what happened. What they did not realize was I had already made a decision to hit them if I did not get it stopped. I was not going to my left and hit the minivan or to might right and off into Ft. Loudon Lake. I think it all boils down to one thing, the people that drive this way have no respect for their own lives, let alone yours. I would say they have never seen some of the traffic accident scenes that I have seen over the years. It makes you think.

Even if you whoop all of them in one day, there will be a new batch of reinforcements arriving to replace them.

Guest Lowbuster
Seems like people risk every ones life to get somewhere 10 seconds faster. I've found if I set cruise control then they sipped up and slow down so much trying to get through I stay within sight of them. Not worth it to me.

I love the guys who charge up behind you and flash their headlights at you, even though you are passing someone, as though they have more right to be on the road than you do. I guess they think they can intimidate you into getting over. I'll get over, but I'll...... do.......it.........verrrrrrrrrrry.............slowwwwwwwwwly.

And why in the heck can't people use their turn signals when they are.... making a turn or changing lanes?

Yeah, it seems like I always have my kids in the truck though. I had one tailgating me hard on Kraft St one day when I was driving by myself (in a line of traffic behind the gravel trucks, so im not sure what this guy wanted me to do... gravitate or something?) and I came close to letting him eat my bumper, but there was so much traffic behind him I was worried about starting a chain reaction.

I think there are some people who just don't have the concept of stopping distance. They're not deliberately tailgating, they're just dumb.