WOW , just wow : Has Marlin gotten this bad ?

tercel89

I am a little picky when it comes to using certain terms like CLIP and MAGAZINE but when a gun manufacturer gets it wrong it is pretty bad I think . Doesn't the item in the picture look like a magazine ? I am pretty sure it is. I know that Remington took over Marlin and since then quality control has went down hill but damn ! 

[URL=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/clip_zps3417d025.jpg.html]clip_zps3417d025.jpg[/URL]

I know a lot of people think it's silly to argue over the term magazine vs clip, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I don't correct everyone I hear use the terms incorrectly, but I still expect a gun manufacturer to get it right.

My guess is the doofus approving the marketing isn't a gun guy.

• Like 4

I know a lot of people think it's silly to argue over the term magazine vs clip, but right is right and wrong is wrong. I don't correct everyone I hear use the terms incorrectly, but I still expect a gun manufacturer to get it right.

My guess is the doofus approving the marketing isn't a gun guy.

I agree . Marlin really has went down hill since Remington took over . I was about to buy a short barreled 30-30 but all of the rifles I saw in this model has misaligned tube magzines and crooked sights. So bad that it was really obvious ! Man this sucks ! 

Looks like they're appeasing the masses, not the gun experts like all of us here on TGO :pleased:

I've heard magazines called clips all my life, ...guess its kind of a lazy, one syllable nickname that everyone knows what you're talking about even if its wrong.  Here's the actual definition of a clip, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(ammunition) ... maybe we should send it to Marlin. I do miss the old company, they made some fine lever actions for many, many years.

• Like 2
Meh, the only people I see get the ass over calling it a clip are firearms instructors and anal gun enthusiast. I don't care; I've heard that all my life because that's what every member of my family referred to it as, so it's not nails on a chalkboard to me. Add to that, due to being in the military I'm now conditioned to call them magazines and refer to my firearms as weapons. In the army it isn't a "gun", it's a weapon. I've actually been corrected a few times by gun nazis that "weapon" isn't appropriate.... like it effing matters.

I also pronounce "espresso" as "expresso". I know it's wrong, but I do it just to piss off know it alls that like to correct me.

Looks like they're appeasing the masses, not the gun experts like all of us here on TGO :pleased:

I've heard magazines called clips all my life, ...guess its kind of a lazy, one syllable nickname that everyone knows what you're talking about even if its wrong.  Here's the actual definition of a clip, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(ammunition) ... maybe we should send it to Marlin. I do miss the old company, they made some fine lever actions for many, many years.

I have two old levers from the original Marlin Company  . One from 1953 and one from 1963 . They work like a smooth sewing machine . 

Meh, the only people I see get the ass over calling it a clip are firearms instructors and anal gun enthusiast. I don't care; I've heard that all my life because that's what every member of my family referred to it as, so it's not nails on a chalkboard to me. Add to that, due to being in the military I'm now conditioned to call them magazines and refer to my firearms as weapons. In the army it isn't a "gun", it's a weapon. I've actually been corrected a few times by gun nazis that "weapon" isn't appropriate.... like it effing matters.

I also pronounce "espresso" as "expresso". I know it's wrong, but I do it just to piss off know it alls that like to correct me.

I just tell everyone who says clip instead of magizine that high capacity clips that hold over 10 rounds pretty much don't exist anymore. There were a couple of WW2 Japanese machine guns that used a 50 round clip of sorts but i've only seen a display of one somewhere. Then I call there little Toyota Prias a Honda or something. What difference does it make?

It's a shame about Marlin, I have a 30-30 I bought back in 82, one of my favorite guns to shoot.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

I couldn't care less because it is a term in common usage. How many other words became recognized words because they were in common usage? The word "fax" wasn't a word 40 years ago but it is today. "sexting" is a word and it wasn't used 10 years ago but is in common use. So as long as they are refering to the magazine I don't care because we both know what the meaning is.

I used to argue with people about "irregardless" because it wasn't considered a word up until probably the last 10 years. Now it is considered a word but it means exactly the opposite of the spelling. "regardless" is without regard and by adding "ir" to most words it makes it the opposite of the original word. So "irregardless" is the opposite of without regard so it must mean with regard, the polar opposite of how it is used.

• Like 1

With this point well explained has anyone ever wondered why it is called a magazine. Magazines is mostly relating to reading material so around knowledgeable gun owners they would think your referring to some book. Now we come to the word clip. I all reality that word does refer more to what we call magazines because after all a Magazine does clip into the lock in the gun........ :ugh:  So in all reality which sounds more logical yet is is just the opposite so go figure......... :rofl:  :rofl:  

• Like 1

With this point well explained has anyone ever wondered why it is called a magazine. Magazines is mostly relating to reading material so around knowledgeable gun owners they would think your referring to some book. Now we come to the word clip. I all reality that word does refer more to what we call magazines because after all a Magazine does clip into the lock in the gun........ :ugh:  So in all reality which sounds more logical yet is is just the opposite so go figure......... :rofl:  :rofl:  

Ah, good point ... "Would you mind to fetch me my .45 magazine in my truck?" Does he bring back my clip or my copy of American Handgunner. :rofl: