1911 Kimber vs Sig

KahrMan

I am looking at getting back into 1911's.  I have owned Kimbers in the past and always been happy with them.

Currently I am looking at getting either a used Kimber TLE II or a new Sig.  Both feel great great in my hand.  I just do not know a lot about the Sig 1911's.  For those that have shot both, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks

Edited by KahrMan
Different mostly. I personally dont care for it as it detracts from the appearance, and it wasnt in the original plans but then again neither are alot of things on 1911s now. They do work, no doubt. I beleive S&W said they couldn't get an internal to be reliable enough without hand fitting so they used an external, possibly the same with Sig?

Glocks have external extractors if that says anything.

SIG uses basically the same external extractor in their 1911 line that they have used in the P series for a few decades now, it's pretty bulletproof.  The internal extractor is actually one of the "weak points" in the JMB design, as they require some degree of skill to properly tune.  External extractors work fine in 1911s, provided they are designed and made well.  Ironically, it was Kimber who soured the 1911 world on external extractors... back a few years ago they put a horrible external extractor in many of their guns, and it didn't work worth a damn.  SIG and S&W used a soild, time-tested design (basically the same "see-saw with a spring on one end and a claw on the other" design that 75% or so of auto pistols use), and they seem to run just fine.

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 1

Owned a couple of Kimber 1911 pistols, and can't really say much bad about them. Had many issues with the Kimber branded magazines though. Chucked them and went to Wilsons and CM and solved all the problems.

That being said, I prefer the Sig to the Kimber. Can't give you a definitive reason. I just like the feel of them more, and I seem to shoot them a little better.

I am looking at getting back into 1911's.  I have owned Kimbers in the past and always been happy with them.

Currently I am looking at getting either a used Kimber TLE II or a new Sig.  Both feel great great in my hand.  I just do not know a lot about the Sig 1911's.  For those that have shot both, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks

I've owned several Kimber 1911s in various sizes and in both 10MM and 45ACP; I currently own two Sig's; a Scorpion Carry and a C3.  I've had good and bad Kimber's but both of my Sig's have functioned well (they do need a bit of breaking in). All in all, both brands are good but I give the nod to Sig as I believe they are better firearms for the $$$ spent.

That said, it's really a matter of preference more than anything else.

Hope that helps some!

I've owned several Kimber 1911s in various sizes and in both 10MM and 45ACP; I currently own two Sig's; a Scorpion Carry and a C3.  I've had good and bad Kimber's but both of my Sig's have functioned well (they do need a bit of breaking in). All in all, both brands are good but I give the nod to Sig as I believe they are better firearms for the $$$ spent.

That said, it's really a matter of preference more than anything else.

Hope that helps some!

Thats the exact kind of feedback I was looking for.  Thanks

• Admin Team

Kimber had a rough couple of years a few years back - and that was mostly due to the extractor issue that was mentioned above and sub-par magazines.  That said, they deserve some credit for stepping into the 1911 space when they did.  A lot of the folks making 1911s today probably wouldn't be here had it not been for the tide of Kimber's marketing dollars floating all of their boats - so to speak.

I've owned a couple of Kimbers, including a  Warrior that is my daily workhorse.  I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds through it, and it has never let me down.  I vowed that I would shoot the finish off of the gun, and even that has held up better than I would have expected.

I really only use Wilson 47D magazines, and would frankly replace just about anybody's factory magazines with ones that I know are reliable.

I prefer a sight that will let me rack a slide one handed off my belt if need be.  I've had better luck with the meprolights on the Kimber than on the low profile sights on the Sigs I've shot.  Any sight can be changed to your preference, though.

I'd have no hesitation buying a TLE II - especially the railed variant which I prefer since I run a light.  But, Sig makes some nice variants, too.  I really like the grippiness of the grip panels they're running on the Extreme.

I now have several thousands rounds through my SIG TAC OPS.  Never a problem.., Zero.., None!

D**N Fine Firearm.  :up:

Here is a link to an earlier thread that I did on it....

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/52682-sig-tacops/

Also, SIG now offers the option on their 1911s of their SIG profile and what they call the traditional slide profile that will fit any 1911 holster.

I have Colts, Kimbers, and SAs, all with varying degrees of custom work.  But I Got to tell you - - - If its Serious Social Work I'm taking the SIG.

I have owned/own a few 1911's,which included a few Sigs. The Sigs have nice triggers and are very tight. I don't remember ever having any problems with the Sigs, but I am from the old school and like the standard series 70 style of 1911's. I converted one of my Remingtons from a series 80 to a series 70. Would I buy another SIG ? yes. For the price they are an excellent pistol. Edited by joe45