22 shorts

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any 22lr chamber that's not semi-auto. They're too short to feed from most magazines. I've shot them in my 10/22, you just have to feed them one at a time.

Depending on how the bolt action feeds they should work. But if all else fails just use them one at a time. Nice and quite

A 22 revolver is fun with them. And as has been said, a semi-auto 22 of just about any kind will fire them. You just have to load one at a time. Or you can have an Olympic Model High Standard that's chambered in 22 short. That's even better.

Finding these makes me want to buy a henry that handles all the different 22 rounds

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Shot my Henry this morning. Killed 3 squirrels. It shoots great with the shorts too. I had it sighted for the shorts, but changed it back to LR during the ammo shortage because I had just a couple 50 boxes of shorts.

Yup.

I have two old pump 22s and one is chambered for 22 Longs (good luck finding) and the other eats shorts. They are old guns and I haven't fired either since I was a little kid. That said, I have a couple boxes of Remington shorts lying around and figured I shoot them up in a bolt action using an indoor bullet trap (usually use CCI LR low velocity quiets). I figured the shorts would be like the CCI's - pretty quiet and not have much velocity. Wrongo. Those little shells are full of hot pepper. They go bang like the big boys and there was a bit of lead splatter coming back out of the trap. I'll keep the remainder with that old pump for the grandkids. My guess is that whatever powder they put in the shorts has a lot more energy than the stuff they load in full-size rounds. (The Remington boxes go back to the early 70's - w/o indication of powder weight or velocity. Box says range of up to a mile - that's now outdated.)

I have two old pump 22s and one is chambered for 22 Longs (good luck finding) and the other eats shorts. They are old guns and I haven't fired either since I was a little kid. That said, I have a couple boxes of Remington shorts lying around and figured I shoot them up in a bolt action using an indoor bullet trap (usually use CCI LR low velocity quiets). I figured the shorts would be like the CCI's - pretty quiet and not have much velocity. Wrongo. Those little shells are full of hot pepper. They go bang like the big boys and there was a bit of lead splatter coming back out of the trap. I'll keep the remainder with that old pump for the grandkids. My guess is that whatever powder they put in the shorts has a lot more energy than the stuff they load in full-size rounds. (The Remington boxes go back to the early 70's - w/o indication of powder weight or velocity. Box says range of up to a mile - that's now outdated.)

I had never heard of longs until recently. My local shop has longs for sale. I thought they were LR but they were not.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I had never heard of longs until recently. My local shop has longs for sale. I thought they were LR but they were not.

Before the panic, BendMeOverGanderMountain here always had CB shorts, regular shorts ("high power")  and longs, in addition to regular .22LR.

I have one box each of CCI CB shorts and HP shorts -- may never see them again for all I know.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Before the panic, BendMeOverGanderMountain here always had CB shorts, regular shorts ("high power")  and longs, in addition to regular .22LR.

I have one box each of CCI CB shorts and HP shorts -- may never see them again for all I know.

- OS

I started using CCI shorts (Quiet / Low Velocity) in a Ruger 10/22 loading one round on top of a partially filled magazine with traditional LRs below. This aligned cartridge so slide bolt would load shell on release. Ejecting spent round is manual. This was my backporch tree rat control for about a year. Then Midway started selling the same CCI low noise, low velocity round in a LR size. This has been much easier to handle using the same method with only quiet LRs in magazine so manual second or third shoot was possible. In the Ruger, the CCI "quiet" shorts and longs are pretty deadly on tree rats to about 50 feet. Both shorts and LRs still show up from time to time, but now they cost ridiculous money. I've just started experimenting with the quiet LRs in a 22 x-change barrel on my Sig 226. This is not so quiet and requires IDPA-type setup through open kitchen window and firing indoors from over the sink to avoid disturbing close neighbors. Don't worry, I'm in the county. Biggest worry is wifey who isn't real keen on gunsmoke flavored coffee.

Edited by Vistar