Sarah Palin (R-AK), VICE-PREZ?

Guest Bronker

Guest GUTTERbOY

More:

I was just reading some commentary on some random left-leaning blog, and the course of the discussion led me to an interesting revelation. The Obama campaign is, right off the bat, trying to paint Palin as an inexperienced lightweight. However, I think that in the minds of the public, any serious examination of comparative experience between Palin and Obama will, at worst, lead to the conclusion that they're approximately equally qualified.

Even barring that, by attacking Palin on the experience front could, in and of itself, lend credence to the experience questions that have been directed at Obama since day one. By making a big deal out of Palin's lack of experience, the Dems verify that Obama's lack of experience is an issue as well.

Here's the killer: Let's suppose that, in the mind of a voter, Palin and Obama are perceived as both having experience problems. There's a major difference here: Palin is a VP candidate, whereas Obama proceeds directly to the Oval Office. Now, which position is a better one for an inexperienced person to be in?

This might just be the chess move of the entire campaign right here.

Edited by GUTTERbOY
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

BTW, I finally got around to watching the Dayton introduction of Palin on Youtube. I think it's notable that that video has only 5,000 fewer views than Obama's storied convention speech. There has been some serious thunder theft here.

The fact that the Dem talking heads keep going on and on that she isn't a good pick, that she is terrible, is a perfect indicator that she is a good pick.

The experience factor is what they want to hit on because they want people to pound the idea that is now off the table. It's a good move, but I don't think it will work. They are concerned and they are showing by harping on these things. This is the mantra they want to put out there, otherwise they would blow it off. This is classic stuff, but never discount the public's ability to buy into lies or mantras when told to them enough.

Ok so according to Glen Beck last night she has experience from 1992.

Now the thing that I dont get is how everyone is now on board with McCain simply because of this un-known.The only thing I know her for is an appearance on Glen Beck a couple of months ago.How people can fall in love with someone they know little about beats me :D

think that in the minds of the public, any serious examination of comparative experience between Palin and Obama will, at worst, lead to the conclusion that they're approximately equally qualified.

The key words here are "serous examination",and "public"

Here's an interesting bit from her Wikipedia entry:

Palin's first veto was used to block legislation that would have barred the state from granting benefits to the partners of gay state employees. In effect, her veto granted State of Alaska benefits to same-sex couples. The veto occurred after Palin consulted with Alaska's attorney general on the constitutionality of the legislation.

So she had the (if you'll pardon the term) balls to veto a politically popular measure because she knew it was unconstitutional. Good for her. I doubt any of the other three in this race could say the same.

Guest mikedwood

My mom is loving Palin and mom was one of those Hillary supporters who is mad as Heck (heck minus the ck and add ll after HE)

I'm liking Palin as well. She looks like a great choice to me. I was afraid McCain was going to play it safe but looks like he went for broke and I think it might work.

She is all in the news everywhere, good or bad, even the Huffington Post is full of stories on her. Absolutely stolen Obama's thunder. I'm loving it.

Why has everyone gone ape over this? Because she brings life to the campaign now and it has raised the bar. I have been looking at her since I heard about her and like her stance on many of the issues and some of the things both Dems and Reps have gotten mad about.

I also like her values and appreciate some of the decisions she has had to make.

The Alaskans (sp) seem to think highly of her, not always a easy bunch to impress.

Why has everyone gone ape over this? Because she brings life to the campaign now and it has raised the bar. I have been looking at her since I heard about her and like her stance on many of the issues and some of the things both Dems and Reps have gotten mad about.

I also like her values and appreciate some of the decisions she has had to make.

The Alaskans (sp) seem to think highly of her, not always a easy bunch to impress.

So true. I also feel that this was an excellent move.

Guest unreconstructed1
.How people can fall in love with someone they know little about beats me :koolaid:

because we research the voting record and the political positions of candidates.

I think McCain hit one out of the park with this choice.Actually she has more experience than Obama in an executive role since he has only been in office 3 years and has spent the last two running for POTUS.

Maybe the campaign banners should read Palin/McCain! I think it is great that people are more excited about the VP than the Pres candidate.

I also absolutely love that McCain finally showed he has some campaign smarts and stomped all over the toes of the Dem machine with the timing of the announcement and the choice. Totally squashed the messianic love fest in Denver. BTW I expected all the love in Denver, but are these people for real?

Also I really think Obama is making a huge mistake attacking her "experience". He does realize not only does she have more than him, she also governs a state that deals heavily in military matters (domestic and foreign) with Russia, N. Korea, China, and Canada on a regular basis?

Edited by Smith
Maybe the campaign banners should read Palin/McCain! I think it is great that people are more excited about the VP than the Pres candidate.
I am...
I also absolutely love that McCain finally showed he has some campaign smarts and stomped all over the toes of the Dem machine with the timing of the announcement and the choice. Totally squashed the messianic love fest in Denver. BTW I expected all the love in Denver, but are these people for real?

Sadly,...Yes...:koolaid:

Yeah, that is odd. Actually, I've agreed with McCain on a bunch of stuff over the years that most of you don't like. I've disagreed with him over issues, but I've agreed a bunch more. I think Palin is FOS over abortion, but I really like her veto about gay stuff based on Constitutional grounds. She does have at least some intelligence, as opposed to most fundamentalist folks.

I'd really like to see an actual constitutionalist in the Executive Branch. She looks like the best possibility at this point.

Yeah, that is odd. Actually, I've agreed with McCain on a bunch of stuff over the years that most of you don't like. I've disagreed with him over issues, but I've agreed a bunch more. I think Palin is FOS over abortion, but I really like her veto about gay stuff based on Constitutional grounds. She does have at least some intelligence, as opposed to most fundamentalist folks.

I'd really like to see an actual constitutionalist in the Executive Branch. She looks like the best possibility at this point.

You sure have been grouchy lately!:koolaid: Maybe we'll get another rainstorm so you can sit on the porch and relax.:2cents:

Guest unreconstructed1
I'd suggest less "cleverness"

and more facts?

well, I did say it was biased...

but it does highlight essential facts. Obama's voting record isn't well known. hell, besides his affiliations with his "church", and what he is claiming in order to win POTUS, what else is really even known about him?