Pentagon freezes death benefits for fallen soldiers' families

I'll say it for you: To deny combat vets families benefits congress is a bunch of no good ####ing redacted hat need to be redacted ####ed in the xxx into next year. Redacted redacted redacted. Amen Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
Guest 6.8 AR
That's how they get the marching orders out to the troops. They
send out mass voice commands. Busy signals probably block
2/3 of the messages, though.

The Fisher House beat Donald to the punch but was nice of Donald to step up and offer. Fisher House works with Wounded warriors and other Veterans on affairs and issues they need help with. The White House has promised them an IOU until the Government fires back up and then will repay Fisher House. So they say!!!! We know you can trust Obama to tell the truth........... :squint: :squint: :squint:

Guest TankerHC

The Fisher House beat Donald to the punch but was nice of Donald to step up and offer. Fisher House works with Wounded warriors and other Veterans on affairs and issues they need help with. The White House has promised them an IOU until the Government fires back up and then will repay Fisher House. So they say!!!! We know you can trust Obama to tell the truth........... :squint: :squint: :squint:

Not quite right. Fisher house is paying for the funerals. Trump is giving (note giving not loaning) each family the $100,000 death gratuity right now with the help of Vietnam Vet and Marine Chuck Woolery.  Plus there are a lot of other organizations stepping up.  I think no one should care who steps up, plenty of people are going to. What Americans should care about is who didnt. he's sitting at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. 

These Vets families are going to end up with a lot more than they would have gotten (Which will never make up for their loss, regardless of how much it is), when I retired, it was 250,000 and double indemnity if KIA. So I am sure its more now. 

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

I do not get how they can even touch those funds..

Certain things should be off limits..

Like soldiers pay/benefits

Social Security

WIC

VA benefits..

I agree, how can they touch that "gratuity" when its actually SGLI when its administered and paid out by Prudential Life Insurance who makes a profit on the proceeds. The VA only Supervises the accounts. Prudential administers the accounts. 

That money doesnt even come from the Government, never has, its Insurance. Even when you retire you can keep it under VGLI for 2 years, then move over to a regular Insurance account. 

Prudential is paid out of every soldiers paycheck. (Used to be you could opt out, no one I knew ever did).

Edited by TankerHC

I agree, how can they touch that "gratuity" when its actually SGLI when its administered and paid out by Prudential Life Insurance who makes a profit on the proceeds. The VA only Supervises the accounts. Prudential administers the accounts.

That money doesnt even come from the Government, never has, its Insurance. Even when you retire you can keep it under VGLI for 2 years, then move over to a regular Insurance account.

Prudential is paid out of every soldiers paycheck. (Used to be you could opt out, no one I knew ever did).

The death gratuity and SGLI are two different things. You get the gratuity in addition to SGLI. So SGLI should not be affected by this, just the death gratuity. I can't remember what it was when I was in. I want to say it was 50K. Could be more though. I think it was only 10K when I joined and 100K for SGLI, which you actually pay into. By the time I got out we were paying into a 400K SGLI policy, which is similar to the 400K VGLI policy I pay into now. Feds can't touch it. It ain't theirs.

And where has our illustrious new Secretary of Defense been through all this, not a peep from Sergeant Hagel.

- OS

He is a lousy excuse for SecDef. Even a lot of Republicans can't stand him. Must be why he got the job.

Guest TankerHC

The death gratuity and SGLI are two different things. You get the gratuity in addition to SGLI. So SGLI should not be affected by this, just the death gratuity. I can't remember what it was when I was in. I want to say it was 50K. Could be more though. I think it was only 10K when I joined and 100K for SGLI, which you actually pay into. By the time I got out we were paying into a 400K SGLI policy, which is similar to the 400K VGLI policy I pay into now. Feds can't touch it. It ain't theirs.

Had to look that up. And yes they changed it. Last time I had CNO (CNCO) it was for a dui death. The Captain gave the mother her check. At the time it was 10000. The initial payment came from the first part of SGLI. Now I see that payment comes from the budget of the soldier's last major command. Since the defense spending bill was approved back in July by the Senate I wonder. Why the hopdu........wait. .never mind. .almost forgot. ......Low life scum

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2