Gun Shows and background checks

I was just reading an article about Gabby Gifford and her husbands anti-gun organization and they are at a New York Gun show to discuss the fact that there are no back ground checks at Gun Shows.  Now I don't know about all folks here but I for one have never purchased a gun at a show that I did not have a back ground check done on me prior to receiving the gun. Where do they get their information from that Gun Shows don't do back ground checks. Are they talking about parking lot sales at gun shows maybe? I have never bought a parking lot gun but I do see some transactions take place that way. But with that said a transaction between two individuals would be hard to do a back ground check on that to begin with plus they are not illegal I don't think but I could be wrong about that?.......... :stunned: :stunned:

But make sure to be clear; that is completely different from "Registration".

They like to say that just because they want to know who has what gun at any given moment, that they would never endorse "Registration". And we don't EVER need to worry about "Confiscation".

They know using those words is still political poison - for now. At least until they can convince enough uninformed voters and non gun owners that it's for our own good.

I was just reading an article about Gabby Gifford and her husbands anti-gun organization and they are at a New York Gun show to discuss the fact that there are no back ground checks at Gun Shows.

Private sales at gun shows are already illegal in state of New York. Private sales of handguns are illegal everywhere in the state. Of course, I'm sure these two wouldn't research actual laws before spouting off.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

They just want to do something... anything against gun ownership. 

Well if I am not mistaken doesn't Diane Frankenstein and Gabby Giffords husband and about 90% of all the other Anti-Gunners at one time or another admitted that they own guns themselves. I have read where many of them are gun owners. I guess this falls under the category of    "Do as I say, Not as I do."     huh????  I would be willing to bet that most of the Justices on the Supreme Court carry on along with most of the people in Congress when not in Washington with the body guards.....jmho

• Like 1

Well if I am not mistaken doesn't Diane Frankenstein and Gabby Giffords husband and about 90% of all the other Anti-Gunners at one time or another admitted that they own guns themselves. I have read where many of them are gun owners. I guess this falls under the category of    "Do as I say, Not as I do."     huh????  I would be willing to bet that most of the Justices on the Supreme Court carry on along with most of the people in Congress when not in Washington with the body guards.....jmho

I disagree, I don't think they have the balls to even protect themselves.

• Like 1

I disagree, I don't think they have the balls to even protect themselves.

Oh I think they do have them. At least the male justices and that last ??Kagan?? Obama appointed. I think she may have some also....jmho

Edited by bersaguy

According to this site: http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map.html

Only 16 states actually require a background check for purchase from a private individual at a gun show. Most states do not. I am not making any political statements, just simply setting the record straight: most states do not require the check. Thus it is not a "non-issue" as some have posted. It most certainly going to be a bone of contention in the gun control "wars" for some time to come.

According to this site: http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map.html

Only 16 states actually require a background check for purchase from a private individual at a gun show. Most states do not. I am not making any political statements, just simply setting the record straight: most states do not require the check. Thus it is not a "non-issue" as some have posted. It most certainly going to be a bone of contention in the gun control "wars" for some time to come.

A bit misleading the way they put it, as most of those states ban either handguns or all guns from private sales period, not just at gun shows. Here's another to cross reference from opencarry.org:

privatetransfermap.png

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Just one question, how could they possibly know if I sold a pre-private sales ban handgun to someone else? They can't know when I sold it and if I did someone would have to tattle, or the gun was used in a crime and they traced it back but they couldn't prove when I sold it. Like many laws, it would only be a "feel good" law to anti's with no real affect.

I saw another fart from the gifford's about how they think by the end of next year they will rival the NRA's political clout.  More proof that her brain damage is much, much worse than they let on.

Yea, I think they said they had like 130,000 members and last count the NRA has somewhere in the millions of members. If they think they will be able to stand against the NRA they better hurry by the end of the year...........jmho

Just one question, how could they possibly know if I sold a pre-private sales ban handgun to someone else? They can't know when I sold it and if I did someone would have to tattle, or the gun was used in a crime and they traced it back but they couldn't prove when I sold it. Like many laws, it would only be a "feel good" law to anti's with no real affect.

They cannot.   But in 25 years, most transactions will be on guns that were new after this law, and it starts to "work".  Then, if someone has a gun from "somewhere" and commits a crime, they trace it back and found out that you bought it from a store 10 years back.  At which point you look shocked and surprised, go open your sock drawer, nope its not there, someone stole it in the last 5 years.... I dunno when that happened officer.... 

Its always, always about the money.  Everything is always about the money.  NYs new laws tax ammo per round.  The new transfer rules make it pass thru a costly transaction every time it is bought/sold.   The new 7 round rule means having to buy new mags  that are probably taxed (at least a sales tax). 

With guns, there is a punative element to attack their political enemies with the laws, but the main reason is always money.

The same way they prove anything else; witnesses, undercover buys, or they have you on a felony transfer and you opt to plead out to a misdemeanor instead of taking your chances at trial.

You couldn’t advertise it or transfer it to someone you don’t know; so they will have achieved the desired effect.

The same way they prove anything else; witnesses, undercover buys, or they have you on a felony transfer and you opt to plead out to a misdemeanor instead of taking your chances at trial.

You couldn’t advertise it or transfer it to someone you don’t know; so they will have achieved the desired effect.

There's thousands of illegal gun transactions between felony gang bangers every week all over the country, they catch a "FEW" but that doesn't have any affect over the whole issue of criminal gun transactions. Even transferring to someone you don't know, it's highly probable that it's not an undercover fed, but some dude who wants a good deal on a firearm. They can catch a "FEW", but they can't even put a dent in private transactions of guns.

There's thousands of illegal gun transactions between felony gang bangers every week all over the country, they catch a "FEW" but that doesn't have any affect over the whole issue of criminal gun transactions. Even transferring to someone you don't know, it's highly probable that it's not an undercover fed, but some dude who wants a good deal on a firearm. They can catch a "FEW", but they can't even put a dent in private transactions of guns.

I’m against it. But they will put a hell of a dent in gun transactions without background checks if they make it a crime. I doubt many of us here would commit a crime to buy/sell a gun; not worth it.

Background checks won’t stop criminals from getting guns. If they can’t buy one they will break into your home and take yours; or find someone who will for a bag of dope.

• Like 1

I’m against it. But they will put a hell of a dent in gun transactions without background checks if they make it a crime. I doubt many of us here would commit a crime to buy/sell a gun; not worth it.

Background checks won’t stop criminals from getting guns. If they can’t buy one they will break into your home and take yours; or find someone who will for a bag of dope.

Well I have plans for mine, the ones I own now if I ever get sick or something happens to me and they damn sure are not going to any government scrap pile. 

Well I have plans for mine, the ones I own now if I ever get sick or something happens to me and they damn sure are not going to any government scrap pile. 

Ironically, the Manchin-Toomey background check bill would have made private transfers between relatives much more expansive, something like down to cousins and even in-laws and even across state lines too (while still alive).

- OS

Ironically, the Manchin-Toomey background check bill would have made private transfers between relatives much more expansive, something like down to cousins and even in-laws and even across state lines too (while still alive).

- OS

They couldn't possibly know if a transfer happened with a firearm bought before such a law might be inacted, unless someone squeeled. I guess if anyone decides to transfer a pre-law firearm to a friend or family member after such a law was inacted, be sure you trust who you're transfering it to.

I think the difference is they would do more informant and undercover ops and parade marching in front of cameras showing examples of how they "got illegal guns off the streets." While it seems "they" hardly give a damn, are afraid to, or don't see any positive reason to possibly disenfranchise their potential supporting voter's if they make a wide scale assualt into their neighborhoods to disarm gang bangers.
So as gang bangers kill gang bangers with just normal investigations after the fact, ordinary law abiding citizens become a safer target to go after with (the way elections have been going) less political consequences. JMO.