Lowes/Home Depot flooring

gomer pyle

has anyone used lowes or home depot for flooring. my wife and i are building a house(long story, going to court with builder). the local flooring place(where we had everything picked out and ready to go)  will not sell to us due to not wanting to upset builder. i was curious about the quality of material from these two and quality of work if i were to get them to install.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had carpet installed by lowes. they subcontract out. I was satisfied with the service I got from lowes. I think now I would look for someone to contract with myself and cut out the middle guy. when I see someone getting work done I stop get names for services I may need in the future. I did this with some drywall work I needed and it worked out great.

But the installers (sub-contractors) have to be approved by lowes or Home Depot before they can do the install. It is up to you whether or not you get the store to set up the install or you contract it out yourself. I used to work for lowe's, I remember selling installs of Water heaters, tubs and toilets. All our installers had to be certified by Lowe's. So it won't be just your average joe doing any install.

If It were me, I'd ask who the installers are for the flooring and their work history. Talk with someone who has had installations from either home depot or Lowe's and go from there.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

has anyone used lowes or home depot for flooring. my wife and i are building a house(long story, going to court with builder). the local flooring place(where we had everything picked out and ready to go) will not sell to us due to not wanting to upset builder. i was curious about the quality of material from these two and quality of work if i were to get them to install.

Never used Lowes or home depot. If in the crossville area I recommend you use Eddie Brown he has a Shaw flooring store, does excellent work, is super nice, and does it affordably. His store is called My Little Store and he is on Lantana Road.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

I've never used Lowes for flooring, but have had good and "meh" experiences with doors and cabinets.

Recently, after much comparison shopping, I used End Of The Roll for wood flooring and carpet. I could not be more pleased. The fact that they are a Christian company was an added plus.

they try to keep the sales and installation separate. This way you can't come after the store for installation issues.

Lowe's doesn't seem to work that way in my case. I had Lowe's do some carpet several years ago. The installers damaged a folding closet door when they put it back up but we didn't notice it until after they left. We contacted Lowe's, they talked to the installer, which said they didn't do the damage. Lowe's handled it and paid a different installer to replace the door.

As someone mentioned, like almost any store you buy flooring from, they contract the installation. While the store may hook you up with one or more installers to choose from, they try to keep the sales and installation separate. This way you can't come after the store for installation issues.

I need guttering replaced and trim work done. Lowes has a thing on their website where you can contact them for quotes on home repairs. I’m sure they use sub-contractors, but by going that way I assumed I would be dealing with Lowes if something went wrong?

has anyone used lowes or home depot for flooring. my wife and i are building a house(long story, going to court with builder). the local flooring place(where we had everything picked out and ready to go)  will not sell to us due to not wanting to upset builder. i was curious about the quality of material from these two and quality of work if i were to get them to install.

If the store wants to work only with the builder, you should never go back to them. Some stores will do that for all the repeat,

discount business the builder provides, but when they throw the retail consumer away, they can go the way many builders

do: out of business. You will most likely never get the breaks the builder gets, so don't expect it, but you can still negotiate

if you keep it all from one place. If they don't want to play, look elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that. Lowe's isn't my first

choice, but that doesn't mean much. They are probably fine.

unfortunately not one vendor of his will work with us. they tell us they will and then call back to say they can't or they never return my phone call. i know that i am just one customer but that is poor business. i have no problem and actually prefer to use outside people but after the reaming he has given us we are skeptical of who to trust and assumed(i know, assume) that one of the big box stores would do better. i guess i will get a list of their subs and try to find some reviews. 

also, if anyone has any people they would recommend, send me a pm

no i'm not obligated but i was trying to do what i felt was the right thing and pay the ones who had worked on it and let them finish the job they had started. the flooring was already picked out, so i would have been simpler to just let them do it. i will have to have new subs for everything, which is fine by me, but aggravating having to make all new selections plus not knowing who to trust

I'm in the vinyl siding business, in the past month I've talked two separate customers. And both told me of some sloppy and improper window installers. Took a very long time to get it straigthened out, causing delays in brick work and such. So like was said earlier, you may want to talk to some of their previous customers before you make a decision. jmho

Guest Lowbuster
Lowes wanted me to do installations years back. The contractor has to do the job cheaper than others so lowes can make money on them. The contractors get a lot of work from lowes, more than they can handle a lot of times so they are rushed. The contractors have to be licensed and insured but more work, less time, and less pay does not work well for customer.

We had carpet and vinyl installed through Lowes a few years ago when we bought our house.  The experience was decidedly "meh".  The only reason I went with Lowes was I had several hundred $$ worth of gift cards. 

The carpet guys did an ok job, but I've had to deal with a few frayed edges, more of an annoyance than anything. 

The vinyl guys did an ok job as well, except that one of the toilets leaked afterwards.  I called to report the leak and apparently the crew foreman/supervisor came out to fix it (most likely because he was the only one who spoke English)... he was a serious prick.  He spent more time arguing with me about it than it took to just replace the seal and move on.   After I told him as much and went to another room, he started in on my Mom who happened to be there at the time....   :mad:    I said, "look m-f-er... either shut your mouth and fix it or get the F out!"  :bat:   He fixed it an got the F out.  After he left, Mom said.. "Wow, I've never seen you get pissed off like that before."  She never mentioned the F-bombs in her presence, which would've gotten me a major butt whooppin' 10 years prior. 

I called Lowes to complain and they told me I wasn't he first to complain about his attitude.  She apologized profusely and said he's sooo fired.  They sent me another $100 gift card by way of an apology. 

I'll speak up for Home Depot in Maryville.  Their sub-contractors laid our laminate flooring a few years ago and did a great job.  I pulled up the old carpeting, prepped the floor and installed the quarter-round myself, thus saving a few hundred bucks.