Why can't I like a 45acp

Patton

John Browning had a vision, a design,a desire, and a big crowd of buyers. it lives 100 years later.If the ammo price haunts ya, buy an airsoft for fun, and save the big daddy for everyone else..if you owned everything out there and still arent happy happy happy, buy a desert eagle .50 !then ya can down the next caliber up!

Guest TNSovereignty

Actually, velocity is your friend and not mass when trying to penetrate body armor.
Jesse Mathews, a Chattanooga cop killer, told police after his capture that he couldn't feel the 45acp's bouncing off his body armor on April 2nd. The other service calibers would not have made a difference most likely. A .223 literally shot his genitals off.

It would be wrong of me to say that .45 is a great armor piercing round.  It would also be wrong to always assume that any potential bad guy intent on combat will forego body armor.  All I'm trying to say is that if my opponent is in body armor & all I've got is my G30, a hot 230 gr round will massively bruise & quite possibly take the guy out of the fight.

.45 ACPs bouncing off body armor?  Mr Mathews must've been strung out on some hellacious dope.  

.45s make bigger holes. That is the extent of my reasoning. Bigger holes means better chances of hitting stuff that it vital. My 1911 holds 8 +1 and is a nice slim grip.

Hopefully I never get into a machinegun toting juggernaut wearing level 27 body armor. I guess if I do I'll be screwed, but I'm sure I'll be okay.

.45 ACPs bouncing off body armor? Mr Mathews must've been strung out on some hellacious dope.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixnTDXg9eLs

FFW to 14:50

In all fairness the 40 is no better, 357 mag has a slight hand over the 45 though.

Read this article, particularly the paragraphs listed below.
http://m.policemag.com/article/1397/30-things-you-need-to-know-about-body-armor

4 All Guns Are Deadly

14 What is a Trauma Rating?

15 If You Are Shot in Your Armor, You Will be Able to Fight Back Edited by Patton

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixnTDXg9eLs
FFW to 14:50
In all fairness the 40 is no better, 357 mag has a slight hand over the 45 though.
Read this article, particularly the paragraphs listed below.http://m.policemag.com/article/1397/30-things-you-need-to-know-about-body-armor
4 All Guns Are Deadly
14 What is a Trauma Rating?
15 If You Are Shot in Your Armor, You Will be Able to Fight Back

Bullets don't "bounce" off body armor.
Guest Brutnus

The old adage that 'a 9mm might expand, but a .45 won't shrink' not withstanding, there's just something comforting about about 230 gr. round ball. Makes me warm inside. 

Bullets have changed dramatically and there isn't much difference ballistically between 9, 40 or 45. Pick which one you shoot the best and stick with it.  

Bullets don't "bounce" off body armor.

They either slice through or stop them like a tennis net stops a tennis ball. We shot some old vest, probably shot each one 17 rounds or more, I don't think we recovered a single bullet. None of them(9mm fmj) penetrated and ironically couldn't shatter a window placed behind the panels. A 12ga with buckshot at 10yards destroyed the vest. Edited by Patton

John Browning had a vision, a design,a desire, and a big crowd of buyers. it lives 100 years later.If the ammo price haunts ya, buy an airsoft for fun, and save the big daddy for everyone else..if you owned everything out there and still arent happy happy happy, buy a desert eagle .50 !then ya can down the next caliber up!

John's vision was a 9mm. The military pushed him into the .45

John's vision was a 9mm. The military pushed him into the .45

JMB thought the Browning Hi Power was his best gun ever and he didn't even finish it. I can't find the quote but JMB even stated the military ruined the 1911 by requiring the grip safety.

They either slice through or stop them like a tennis net stops a tennis ball. We shot some old vest, probably shot each one 17 rounds or more, I don't think we recovered a single bullet. None of them(9mm fmj) penetrated and ironically couldn't shatter a window placed behind the panels. A 12ga with buckshot at 10yards destroyed the vest.

Are you talking about soft armor or ceramic plates. Body armor is different than a soft vest that cops wear. Ceramic plates don't cause bullets to bounce off. Heck, only steel plates would possibly do that, but the bullets aren't bouncing. They are breaking apart, sending schrapnel from the jacketing and bullet fragments flying.

I have owned, or borrowed for an extended period, about every 45acp in production. I finally found one that I shoot well, could carry well, but I can't get away from the fact that it is a 45acp. For years I have stated that every 45acp had too thick of a grip, too low of a capacity, or cost too much. The XDS is none of these, but the fact that it is a 45acp is killing me. In all fairness the fact that I do not reload 45acp is one reason I am having a hard time justifying owning one. I decided to go buy a box of 45acp since I shot all the old ammo I had laying around, at $25 a box I decided not to buy.

Is anyone else not a fan of these fat, slow bullets that cost a lot?

3.2" compact with 13 rounds...  not sure how you could not like something like this.

DSCF0008_zpsab064440.jpg

That was because back then they , The army ,needed the same pistol to shoot buffalo and the nine just couldn't do it right??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Back then, they were convinced that big bore was the solution. They tried the 30ish caliber route first. Not saying they were wrong. Just saying that John was headed for a 9mm pistol under his own steam. The military changed that