Why can't I like a 45acp

Patton

I have owned, or borrowed for an extended period, about every 45acp in production. I finally found one that I shoot well, could carry well, but I can't get away from the fact that it is a 45acp. For years I have stated that every 45acp had too thick of a grip, too low of a capacity, or cost too much. The XDS is none of these, but the fact that it is a 45acp is killing me. In all fairness the fact that I do not reload 45acp is one reason I am having a hard time justifying owning one. I decided to go buy a box of 45acp since I shot all the old ammo I had laying around, at $25 a box I decided not to buy.

Is anyone else not a fan of these fat, slow bullets that cost a lot?

They do not have to be fat and slow, you can find or load lighter projectiles and get a reasonable speed instead of a 800 fps flying brick, and modern guns can take a stouter load than the traditional data that is safe to use in 100+ year old antiques.   As for pricing, the question begs "compared to what"??    25 acp and 380 are small rounds that cost nearly as much.   Most rifle rounds are a buck every time you fire.   Reloading almost all calibers is the only thing that makes sense with today's prices.  45 is, unfortunately, on the high end of average priced ammo.

Now, the rest of it, not a fan.  Low capacity, large guns are not a good pick for carry for me, and I will probably never carry a 45 anything.   The grip does not bother me (I have a desert eagle in 44 and can hold it comfortably one handed, same as I can a 1911 in 45).   I can see how small hands would not care for a 45 though, but I would argue that a double stacked 9mm is just as fat so you can't, at the same time, make a logical argument that a highcap 9 is better due to capacity but the 45's grip is too wide, its one or the other (you either need a single stack 9 for a smaller grip, or you just like highcap and dislike the low round count, but both at once is not logical).

So, for me, I love the 45 as a range toy.  I reload it, so its not that expensive, a little more than 9s but not so much that I worry about it.   I like the 45's proven track record as a manstopper.  But like yourself, its just too few rounds in too big a platform for my carry needs, so if I were only buying guns for self defense, I would pass on the 45 nearly every time.

You're right seeing how it's been around for over a 100 years and is still in use by the Marines and other branches of the US so it really 

can't be any good. For those of you who watch the big bang theory the previous sentence is called sarcasm. 

I'd suggest you run out an buy a .380, .40 or some other twiner cartridge that the bullet Company's came up with to give you yet another choice

of gun to do the the .45 ACP already does.  

There are also .357's, .41's and .41 mags, .44's and .44 mag's, .45 LC's, .454's, .460's, 500's in wheel guns and semi-auto's but then again most

of those only carry 5-8 rounds. Not much there.

Lessee,  .32's and .38's could maybe get the job done along with 9mm's. How about 10mm's? Opps, with the 10 there's not much in the clip.  

There was actually a reason the .45 ACP was invented. Go look it up. Isn't that what the net is for?

Hope this helps.

Lp

Guest Lester Weevils

For years I have stated that every 45acp had too thick of a grip, <OR> too low of a capacity, or cost too much.

I guess there are OR conditionals between all the objectionables? A 1911 has (IMO) a relatively slim grip, but some folks might consider 7 or 8 round mags as inadequate capacity?

I like 9mm 1911's better, because I reload 9mm. But the 1911 grip fits my largish hands with short fingers better than ferinstance 9mm glock, beretta 92, beretta cougar, or CZ 75. Not that I plan to carry a 1911 or any of these other full-size guns in the near future.

Edited by Lester Weevils

All are reasonable facts, I am intrigued by the effectiveness of plain old ball 45acp.

And its not difficult to understand.  The hole is the size of an expanded 9/357/etc every time.  Bigger still if you use a 45 JHP or LRN or other expanding design.  And the momentum of the round is impressive, the energy decent.   Its a potent, well designed round.  It also has significant recoil in carry sized guns and many of the small 45s have "issues", and its diameter reduces round count.  Which makes the usual point... all handguns are a compromise.

• Like 1
I love them through a supressor. For a handgun round for that purpose, it can't be beat. With 9mm, its hard to find subsonic ammo...and if your barrel is a little too long, even with subs it will crack. With a 45, all you gotta do is find 230s and not worry about the rest.

I was never much of a 45 acp fan either. Even after getting my first 1911, it was only a range toy.

The turning point for me was the XD-S. I think it's easier to shoot than my full size 1911. I know it's only 5+1 rounds, but the mags are tiny. I can fit 3 spares filled with 45 acp awesomeness in a single back pocket.

Edited by BigK
You're not alone, although, we may be a sparsely populated group.

I've had some really nice 45's and some not so nice. I've never liked a single one of them. I've shot some very high dollar 1911's owned a few XD's, a 4506 and a sack full of different 1911's.
I wouldn't trade them all back for one of my G19's.
I've never been able to get along with any of them, although I could at least put rounds on target with the Smith. That's a far cry better than anything I've ever accomplished with a 1,911lb boat anchor.

Everyone's mileage will undoubtedly vary greatly because truth is truth, there are people who can knock your dick string out yer watch pocket with a 1911. Rob Leatham comes to mind. Remember this though; No matter how much arm chair commando nonsense you read about bigger is better, a 45 stops all jive, it only takes one hit....blah blah blah....what YOU shoot best is what you should be shooting because no matter what, a .25acp that hit its mark beats a 30mm Vulcan that misses. If you're like me and can't hit with a 45 acp, but can keep them 9x19's in there tight, then go for it. Capacity is on our side even if mass is not. The equation will balance.

I struggled with it for years until just a few ago, I dumped the 45 en toto. I've never been happier. My lead goes further when I cast and even in today's market, I'm still loading 9mm for around a nickel a piece.
Guest Brutnus

There isn't anything special about the 45. People watch movies and think "Stopping POWA" then think the person will fall back 5 feet from getting shot. This isn't true, pistol rounds are inherently flawed in that unless you hit the brain or spine it will not stop someone. Every single death from a pistol round is due to bleeding to death which means the person can keep coming. A great example from early this year.

Something like 5 out of 6 people shot with a pistol live. The only thing that matters is shot placement and training. You should carry a caliber that you are accurate with and feel comfortable shooting. Watch the video i linked below, its a doctor explaining to other doctors about the difference between rifle wounds and pistol wounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA fyi this video does have some graphic images.

Edited by Brutnus
Guest TNSovereignty

A slightly different tack ... go get yourself a good reloading book - I have Lymans & Hornady, along w/ a dandy old book - Ken Walter's "Pet Loads."  Then you can see the versatility of the varying calibers.  For my money, a .45ACP 230 gr over Unique powder at 800+fps is a great round ... maybe someone can confirm or correct, but I seem to recall a study that showed one of these hitting a man in body armor will definitely put him out of action, which is the whole point in combat.  

Then you can get into reloading - whatever your favorite caliber - and find yourself wondering why you didn't do it sooner.  

I don't drink diet soda, light beer or anything less filling because it doesn't "taste great"! I man-up and go for the gusto! Let me get the ball rolling and say, "I wish they made a .46"

Let the caliber wars begin all over again! Anyone want a cold non diet beer with their popcorn or extra butter / salt?

popcorn.gif

• Like 3

To each, his own.  I happen to like the caliber and I'm a fan of the 1911 platform.  I've been shooting 1911s for 30 years.  And I am quite comfortable with carrying one, when the need arises.  Capacity is nice, but it's not the be all end all.  My normal carry is a .38 Colt Agent snubbie with a couple of speed loaders. If I need more than 18 rounds, I need to be stayin' home.

• Like 1

For my money, a .45ACP 230 gr over Unique powder at 800+fps is a great round ... maybe someone can confirm or correct, but I seem to recall a study that showed one of these hitting a man in body armor will definitely put him out of action, which is the whole point in combat.

Actually, velocity is your friend and not mass when trying to penetrate body armor.
Jesse Mathews, a Chattanooga cop killer, told police after his capture that he couldn't feel the 45acp's bouncing off his body armor on April 2nd. The other service calibers would not have made a difference most likely. A .223 literally shot his genitals off.

I don't drink diet soda, light beer or anything less filling because it doesn't "taste great"! I man-up and go for the gusto! Let me get the ball rolling and say, "I wish they made a .46"

Let the caliber wars begin all over again! Anyone want a cold non diet beer with their popcorn or extra butter / salt?

popcorn.gif

Exactly! You have 45ACP, and then those other calibers for girlie men   :rofl:

• Like 3