2014 Off Season Support Group Deer Season Thread

Since we all are having a hard time coping with our loss (the 2013 deer season) I am updating the thread to help us support each other in this off season! Page 22 starts the 2014 talk. If you find this weird, it's Dave's, Ruger's and Luke's fault. :-)

Well we had the Bow Season thread, we have the Muzzleloader thread and now its time for arguably the most highly anticipated day of the entire year, GUN SEASON!

So to those who have had to put up with all of us archers and muzzleloaders for the last few months, this is your time!

The Rut is on, the smokeless powder is coming out and there will be back straps in the freezers. Share your plans, your successes, your failures and ask your questions. For on Saturday...we hunt.

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 1
Guest jrbaker90
I plan on hunting sat morning at lower hatchie nwr it be my first time by my self so I'm nervous and excited at the sametime. Ill be happy to just get a chance at thanks

I plan on hunting sat morning at lower hatchie nwr it be my first time by my self so I'm nervous and excited at the sametime. Ill be happy to just get a chance at thanks

Good deal JR.  You are doing great by getting out there.  The more time you spend in the woods, the better at it you will be.  Wear your Orange and get there early.  Let us know if you see anything!

Anyone have any leads on areas around east TN? I don't know of many places...:(

I don't know how you do it, but if you can get on the list for a quota hunt at ORNL there are a metric butt ton of those things out here. There are coyote out here, but the deer get bothered so little by anything that I routinely get within 50ish yards of them when walking around. They all get surveyed out before you can take them home, so you don't have to worry about eating a radioactive deer.

Sent from the blue lagoon.

Timthetoolman and I cleared out a couple more trails on one side of the property today and when we got done we decided to make a set for coyote. I have an electronic call that I got from DaveS and got in the woods and got the call set up and sat down. After getting settled I hit the button to fire up the call when my decision to not check the batteries came back to bite me. Between calls I would have to hold the remote under the camo net and rub them around in my hands to warm them up enough to wring the last bit of juice out of them. Even when I did get it to work it was intermittent and staticy so when it got close to being dark we started packing up. Evidently we were being watched because as soon as we started moved around I heard a deer about 20yds behind us stomping and blowing at us. It is about 200yds through the woulds from where my "safe haven" feeding and watering hole is so i'm sure that's where she was headed. I try to leave that spot alone unless i'm getting close to the end of the season and need more meat in the freezer. It is kind of a fail safe spot because there is at least one group in there once and a lot of the time twice a day during the winter so I try to not put pressure on them right there. Good luck on opening gun day fellas.

It's going to be hard for me to switch to Rifle but I guess I will.

I've been skunking out on Bow...Hunting from the ground with a Recurve.  IT'S HARD.

I've gotten close though.

Going to squeeze in a few more attempts this week but I'm already thinking about laying off some  of my areas until Saturday to keep them unpressured.

It's going to be hard for me to switch to Rifle but I guess I will.

I've been skunking out on Bow...Hunting from the ground with a Recurve.  IT'S HARD.

I've gotten close though.

Going to squeeze in a few more attempts this week but I'm already thinking about laying off some  of my areas until Saturday to keep them unpressured.

What yardage are you comfortable shooting a recurve out to?  I just know nothing about recurves.  

Got my new to me Savage 7mm08 and my 7mm RM all sighted in and I'll be hunting a place I hunt in Smith County Sat and Sun.
Then leaving for my in-laws in FL on Sun night and won't be back til next Sun. Missing the best week of hunting here, again.
Their rifle season opens Thursday. Crossbow season is open but with 2 little kids i doubt I have room to carry that big ol clunky thing, all the kid accessories, plus the guns I'll probably take just fer shootin'. Guess I'll do a little night time hog hunting and fishing til Thurs. Stopped and bought a solar security light on the way home tonight.
I'll be out there hanganing in a tree with my trusty 1903 '06 (sporterized). It "sees" the woods through a 3-9x40 Nikon Monarch. I plan to start with that. As the season progresses, I may hunt some with my Winchester 94 30WCF and/or Ruger SBH 44mag (scoped). Forecast for my area on Saturday is High52, Low26 and 60% rain showers. If it's raining, I'll probably take the SBH because I can keep it dry up under my rain gear.

I saw a nice buck this afternoon from my stand. Too risky of a shot with my ML though.

Hooray for Opening Day!

Well I am going to start the season with my '03 sporter also in '06, and the Ruger BH in .41 Mag. in a shoulder holster just in case he comes by close. Also want to get another with my scoped SBH .44 Mag. I'm currently waiting on a new to me rifle to arrive, a hot rod 44 so to speak, probably first of next. (Marlin 444) Then it will get a chance to bloody something, really want to see what this can do.

Anyone have any leads on areas around east TN? I don't know of many places...:(

From my perspective, there's not a lot of public land other than the WMA's and quota hunts. Most guys I know either own land or have permission or lease private property. I'd like to get in on that but it's hard to justify the expense, especially given how little time I have. Yet again, I'll say maybe next year.

It looks like we might be having some rain Saturday morning here in middle TN.  Hopefully it will not be to wet.  If the weather is bad, I think I will start out with my Browning BAR in 30-06.  I don't like taking my 1895 out in the rain.  It is harder to make sure everything is dry on it.

It looks like we might be having some rain Saturday morning here in middle TN.  Hopefully it will not be to wet.  If the weather is bad, I think I will start out with my Browning BAR in 30-06.  I don't like taking my 1895 out in the rain.  It is harder to make sure everything is dry on it.

I shoot a Browning Bar 30-06 also. I love it one if the best shooting rifles.
Guest Bonedaddy

SInce I was feelin' good 'nuff, I went out and set up my ground blind near where I saw a nice buck playin' tag with a couple does after a recent cold spell. Cleared me a good path to it but fo'got to take my ground cover and bucket out there. Oh well....I'm hopin' I'm up to gettin' out there Mon. mornin' after this next cold snap for a little while. Got to sight in the shotty, now and just figgered out that I only have 14 slugs. I hope I hit on zero purdy quick, I do.

I'm missing opening day, I had the opportunity to photograph a wedding on Saturday, it sucks but I have to pay the bills.  Hopefully heading west and hunting middle and west TN some this season, also have a plan to go after big bucks on public land here in East TN, so secrets there just a lot of hard work.  I'd like to take a deer with my 1911 if I get the chance.