I wish I had the ability to do a fraction of this...

Trekbike

FWIW: This amazing human is now a Paraplegic. He suffered a serous spinal injury earlier this fall in a competition. In recovery, he worked with his editors to finish this video... as that was his main goal for 2013. There is much I could learn from such an individual. So when you see his amazing videos, you may send good thoughts/vibes/prayers his way.
[quote name="DaveTN" post="1078234" timestamp="1386937518"]Cool. I would guess a lot of pain and probably some broken bones were involved in learning how to do that.[/quote] Most definitely. And these videos are not generally done in one take but rather many, many shots. So you should google the outtakes. It's brutal what happens when these guys don't "make it"
Guest Bonedaddy

When I was a kid, me and a couple others were the best that we knew of on bikes. I even broke the "then" world record for a bike jump but none of us could get a news team out there to document it for Guiness (oh well) but I had tons of witnesses and the scars, still, from it. I jumped from one driveway to the next completely over a neighbors front yard, crashed on landin' and skint my elbow down to the bone. My old Schwinn 5 speed was so balanced that I could ride a wheelie no handed, like a unicycle, for the length of the block I lived on but we never even thought of doin' tricks like the stuff they do today and my jump was lame compared to current stuff. These guys are amazin' in their abilities. If I was a kid, again, you could bet I'd be breakin' some bones tryin' to do this stuff. Very cool vid!

[quote name="Joseg" post="1078317" timestamp="1386948240"]I was going to say, they must have mountain bike/bmx guys before that, because there's no way in hell I would try some of those things with a road bike.. Surprised they didn't pop a few tires or bend a few rims.[/quote] Yeah. I'm more surprised they didn't taco a few rear wheels more than the actual hopping of the bikes.
[quote name="NoBanStan" post="1078327" timestamp="1386950619"]That's probably around 4k worth of bike he's hopping around on. Typically those road bikes are carbon fiber and don't take well to impact. But, if you have to income or sponsers to support it...... Sad to hear he's paralyzed now.[/quote] Apparently $24,000 Calnago C59 Disc brake. Typically road bikes don't have the braking friction to do this stuff. http://m.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/pro-bike-martyn-ashtons-colnago-c59-disc-from-road-bike-party-2-video-39275/

FWIW: This amazing human is now a Paraplegic. He suffered a serous spinal injury earlier this fall in a competition. In recovery, he worked with his editors to finish this video... as that was his main goal for 2013. There is much I could learn from such an individual. So when you see his amazing videos, you may send good thoughts/vibes/prayers his way.

A note of clarification: Martyn Ashton was the original rider in Road Bike Party 1, who was paralyzed earlier this year. The rider in this film is Danny MacAskill. Check out Danny's "Imaginate" series. Some of you may know his video "Way Back home"

Apparently $24,000 Calnago C59 Disc brake. Typically road bikes don't have the braking friction to do this stuff. http://m.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/pro-bike-martyn-ashtons-colnago-c59-disc-from-road-bike-party-2-video-39275/

Ah,  I just did a quick search for the brand and found one that "looked" like it. I know the lower end carbon road bikes are around 4k and go up to ungodly amounts. 24k isn't very surprising

• Like 1

A note of clarification: Martyn Ashton was the original rider in Road Bike Party 1, who was paralyzed earlier this year. The rider in this film is Danny MacAskill. Check out Danny's "Imaginate" series. Some of you may know his video "Way Back home"

I don't know any of the history but if you go by the names displayed on the screen throughout the video it featured Martyn Ashton, Danny MacAskill, and Chris Akrigg.

[quote name="Trekbike" post="1078406" timestamp="1386959486"]I don't know any of the history but if you go by the names displayed on the screen throughout the video it featured Martyn Ashton, Danny MacAskill, and Chris Akrigg.[/quote] Martyn is the voice at the beginning of the video. He speaks of recruiting friends to help finish his journey....that's because he's paralyzed.