Remington R-51

Peace

Misfires (FTFs) have been a growing problem with my Remington Model 51 in .380  - but I forgive it. It's nearly 100 years old and I suspect its pin is about tuckered out. The trigger action, grip safety and all other mechanics work beautifully. Regarding the grip safety, if the R51 follows the original design, you can hear it click if you squeeze r e a l l y slowly, otherwise, it's so smooth, you'd never notice it at all. It's pretty intuitive. The trigger action on the original Rem Model 51, if offered today, would be scare manufacturer lawyers. Like many old pistols, it's a short action with maybe 3 pounds of pull (if that). Like the grip safety, just think about firing, and it does. I haven't held an R51, but I seriously doubt it's anywhere near the original pistol that was one heck of a gun.

I have yet to see one, but it's looking less and less like a winner for Remington.

It's also starting to be less and less winners for Remington overall. 700 and 870 are about all they make with a solid rep anymore, and even the 700 has a tainted past.

It's also starting to be less and less winners for Remington overall. 700 and 870 are about all they make with a solid rep anymore, and even the 700 has a tainted past.

Both the 700 and the 870 arent as good as they used to be unless you get one from RemingtonLE
I know, I was being over dramatic. :drama:

There does seem to be a decline in overall QC with some of Remington's stuff though. Some lines don't really seem effected, but I hate to see a brand like Remington take a turn for the worst.

Misfires (FTFs) have been a growing problem with my Remington Model 51 in .380  - but I forgive it. It's nearly 100 years old and I suspect its pin is about tuckered out. The trigger action, grip safety and all other mechanics work beautifully. Regarding the grip safety, if the R51 follows the original design, you can hear it click if you squeeze r e a l l y slowly, otherwise, it's so smooth, you'd never notice it at all. It's pretty intuitive. The trigger action on the original Rem Model 51, if offered today, would be scare manufacturer lawyers. Like many old pistols, it's a short action with maybe 3 pounds of pull (if that). Like the grip safety, just think about firing, and it does. I haven't held an R51, but I seriously doubt it's anywhere near the original pistol that was one heck of a gun.

Probably just needs new springs.

Rush to market with what you advertise as a "game changer" with a great price point which means lower margins...

While not a good comparison, Jeep advertised release of the new Cherokee for late 2013; didn't appear until 2014. Problems with the 9spd auto, but since they wanted to make a statement and introduce a "game changer" in that segment, they waited in order to refine and perfect.

Now Remington will be overloaded with warranty work, phone calls from irate customers and severely damage the desireability of the R51 specifically and Remington ownership in general...incurring additional expenses and loss of sales revenue on a product with already has a pretty slim margin based on it's price point. I almost forgot about the tooling, training, packaging and marketing costs to bring it to market. Yikes. Didn't anyone think to torture test a few dozen of these things from different lots to see what would happen? Wasn't anyone remotely curious? You make guns, I'm sure you could have found at least one employee who would have volunteered to shot for free if you provided the ammo...I'll bet a dozen or so TGO-ers would have round tripped if Remington posted "looking for proficient shooters to blaze through a few thousand rounds, we provide guns, ammo and targets."

Epic Fail on so many levels for a what I think could still be a great compact platform.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I am not much at writeing but here goes. On 9/19/14 I bought a r-51 from L&R firearms. Had to use acetone to clean the metal parts.That stuff was like mule hide glue. Used gun-butter and brownells gun grease.(light coate) Worked the action on and off for two days. Fired it in my backyard and had a couple hangups ; cleaned mags acetone and adjusted. I now have about 400 to 500 rounds through it. (reloads far the most part. It has agood triger and is more accurate than I am.

Ernie :up: