Ultralight knives for 2014?

My Spyderco knives are pretty light. Military, Paramilitary, Endura, and Delica. The Milli and Para are US made. Needless to say, there is a gazillion choices. The CRKT ripple is real light, especially the aluminum version. I even have some pics...

Endura and Delica

IMG_0915a_zps1036372d.jpg

Military

IMG_0904a_zps3490711c.jpg

Ripple Stainless Frame Lock

IMG_0909a_zps44f345e4.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

What kind of budget?

I really don’t have one. I would like to keep it under $50 if I could; it’s just for an everyday carry knife. I could go higher if there was something spectacular that caught my eye.

I’ve never been a knife person; I’ve always carried a gun. But as I get older I see why old guys carry knives… to open up stuff you can just rip open with your teeth anymore. I could shoot most of those packages open but then I would need hearing aids. biggrin.gif

Some good suggestions have been posted... thanks.

Thing is, within 3-4" folders, there just isn't gonna be a huge diff in weight for the most part.

I mentioned the Skyline because at 2.5 oz, it is one of the lightest and thinnest quality 3.25" knives out there, due to thin blade and one sided liner, but heck, even the much bigger and brawny CS 4" Voyager I carry daily is only 4.8 oz, it's not like the weight diff is likely to cause back probs or anything I wouldn't think. :)

CS29TLC.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thing is, in knives within 3-4" there just isn't gonna be a huge diff in weight for the most part.

I mentioned the Skyline because at 2.5 oz, it is one of the lightest and thinnest quality 3.25" knives out there, due to thin blade and one sided liner, but heck, even the much bigger and brawny CS 4" Voyager I carry daily is only 4.8 oz, it's not like the weight diff is likely to cause back probs or anything I wouldn't think. :)

- OS

Yep. That's one of the reasons I threw up the Endura with the full flat grind blade. It's pretty light for such a big knife.

• Like 1

Yep. That's one of the reasons I threw up the Endura with the full flat grind blade. It's pretty light for such a big knife.

Yeah,  Spydercos I know are quite light for their size.  My Military shows 4.4.

Zero Tolerance stuff is probably among the heaviest for length, the 0350 is just over 6 oz, and it's only 3.25" blade.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah,  Spydercos I know are quite light for their size.  My Military shows 4.4.

Zero Tolerance stuff is probably among the heaviest for length, the 0350 is just over 6 oz, and it's only 3.25" blade.

- OS

It's real hard to hurt a ZT. I carry a ZT0550 most of the time. 5.8 oz with a 3.5" blade. One slab is titanium...

IMG_0901a_zps51f25b18.jpg

I once had a CRKT Ken Onion Eros, and that thing was super light. I don't recall how light, but I'm pretty sure it was less than 2 oz.

Great knife. Pricey too. Same basic attitude as the ripple, only titanium. Same blade steel as the Ripple stainless (Acuto +).

Forgot about perhaps the lightest 3" knife in my archives, the Kabar Dozier, 1.5 ounces. I have the thumb hole one, takes great edge, rock solid back lockup.

- OS

Crap I didn't think about the same knife either. I had one and gifted it to my nephew. Darn good knife for the $12 I paid for it back in the day.

• 1 month later...
image_zps52310bb4.jpg

image_zps49787f9a.jpg

image_zps9deb3964.jpg

Dimensions
Open Overall Length 7.125 inches
Closed Length 4 inches
Weight 2.4 ounces

Blade
Length 3.125 inches
Thickness 0.08 inches
Material AUS 8
Blade-HRC 58-59
Finish Satin
Grind Hollow
Style Spear Point
Edge Plain

Handle
Material Titanium
Liner 420J2

Lock
Type Locking Liner
Safety System AutoLAWKS

Carry
Carry System 1 Position Clip

Features
Flipper Yes
Patent U.S. Patents 5,596,808 7,437,822

This locks up like a fixed blade. I picked this one up for $60. Edited by DAdams