ok need some input!!!

bersaguy

I am looking at moving up a little to 9MM. I have been looking at several different models and i am now needing any input folks may have on a Taurus PT92. Have never owned a Taurus so can some folks here give me some input into this gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Compared to most polymer framed guns it's a heavey gun. Very little recoil and nice to shoot but not as nice to carry. Upside is that it is a Berretta 92FS clone. IMO it is a little better due to having the safety mounted on the frame instead of the slide like the Beretta. Very nice guns for the money if you are looking for a full size frame, heavy, DA/SA gun.

• Like 2

Compared to most polymer framed guns it's a heavey gun. Very little recoil and nice to shoot but not as nice to carry. Upside is that it is a Berretta 92FS clone. IMO it is a little better due to having the safety mounted on the frame instead of the slide like the Beretta. Very nice guns for the money if you are looking for a full size frame, heavy, DA/SA gun.

yea i know it weighs in at a hefty 34 oz. I just can't get turned on to the fat squared off Glock looking firearms. They just all look bulky. I am actually doing this as much for my grandson as for myself as he is also looking and he also said he does not want anything remotely Glock looking. Are there any suggestions of other brands of firearms I might look at. He is going to be back in town for a few days and I am going to let him pop some caps from my Bersa Thunder 380 to see if he likes it. He first said he wanted a 32 caliber because that is what his wife carries and he would only have to buy one caliper of ammo but he does not like his wifes gun because it is a smaller framed ladies gun. I told him he was not going to find a larger framed 32 caliper any longer. At least to the best of my knowledge no one is making a 32 caliper big frame semi auto?????? He said a 380 or a 9mm would be fine. He is an Army Ranger in training and they carry 9mm sidearms so he is relatively familiar with 9mm's

Very nice guns. And yes, they are a clone of the 92F Beretta. That said mags and other parts are NOT INTERCHANGABLE.

The one I am looking at comes with a  17+1 and a 19+1 mags so should be enough to cover that issue. If a guy can't hit his target with 38 rounds throw the gun at them and run like hell the other way..........jmho

yea i know it weighs in at a hefty 34 oz. I just can't get turned on to the fat squared off Glock looking firearms. They just all look bulky. I am actually doing this as much for my grandson as for myself as he is also looking and he also said he does not want anything remotely Glock looking. Are there any suggestions of other brands of firearms I might look at. He is going to be back in town for a few days and I am going to let him pop some caps from my Bersa Thunder 380 to see if he likes it. He first said he wanted a 32 caliber because that is what his wife carries and he would only have to buy one caliper of ammo but he does not like his wifes gun because it is a smaller framed ladies gun. I told him he was not going to find a larger framed 32 caliper any longer. At least to the best of my knowledge no one is making a 32 caliper big frame semi auto?????? He said a 380 or a 9mm would be fine. He is an Army Ranger in training and they carry 9mm sidearms so he is relatively familiar with 9mm's

I would take him to a store and let him handle a few. It's hard to tell from opinion or the internet what he might like best. At a certain price-point the difference in guns is all about fit in the shooters hand and features HE wants.

I would also steer him away from 32 ACP. It is at best a dying caliber and very hard to find especially when there are ammo shortages. It had it's day and then the .380 took it away.

Being a Bersa guy you might want to look at the Thunder 9's or even the single stack Bersa Carry Nine's. Very nice guns for the money.

[quote name="10-Ring" post="1098481" timestamp="1390270628"]Do a search and see how many TGO members have bough Tauruses and had to send them back to the factory for some reason. If you are on a budget I would take a S&W Sigma, or even a Hi Point over a Taurus. [/quote]I'd choose my hi point over a Taurus. Had to send mine (Taurus) back. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

I'd choose my hi point over a Taurus. Had to send mine (Taurus) back. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

I really am not trying to :stir:  here, but...I had to send my HiPoint back. I've never had to send a Taurus back. 

I will say that Taurus has had problems, but so have most everyone else. And yes, I do own several Taurus pistols. Autoloaders as well as several revolvers. I even shoot them. 

Favorite Taurus auto...my PT145. Fav revolver would be the Tracker 44Mag. Least favorite Taurus...a Tracker 22/22mag combo. Reason...it's just too heavy for that caliber.

[quote name="hipower" post="1098495" timestamp="1390271479"]I really am not trying to :stir: here, but...I had to send my HiPoint back. I've never had to send a Taurus back. I will say that Taurus has had problems, but so have most everyone else. And yes, I do own several Taurus pistols. Autoloaders as well as several revolvers. I even shoot them. Favorite Taurus auto...my PT145. Fav revolver would be the Tracker 44Mag. Least favorite Taurus...a Tracker 22/22mag combo. Reason...it's just too heavy for that caliber.[/quote]good point. Buy a glock and be done with it. :) Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee Edited by UncleJak
  • Like 1

Do a search and see how many TGO members have bough Tauruses and had to send them back to the factory for some reason.  If you are on a budget I would take a S&W Sigma, or even a Hi Point over a Taurus.

I'm likely one of the few that have never had a single problem with any Taurus. Loved the crap out of my PT92 AFS and kick myself every day for selling it. Slide and action were like butter. Was heavy no doubt, but loved that gun.

My reason for it over the Baretta was 1 simple thing. The decock / safety and the fact it returns to neutral on the Taurus where the Baretta stays in decock.

I'm probably even more narrowed out when i say I love my TCP 380 too!

I would take him to a store and let him handle a few. It's hard to tell from opinion or the internet what he might like best. At a certain price-point the difference in guns is all about fit in the shooters hand and features HE wants.

I would also steer him away from 32 ACP. It is at best a dying caliber and very hard to find especially when there are ammo shortages. It had it's day and then the .380 took it away.

Being a Bersa guy you might want to look at the Thunder 9's or even the single stack Bersa Carry Nine's. Very nice guns for the money.

I do plan on taking him to the range up here at Sumner Gun and Supply when we shoot my Bersa's as I have two of them. Liked them so well when i bought them I bought a pair. With that said, I know the 32 is dying breed and I have told him I was doubtful I would even be able to find a large frame in a 32 caliper any more. The one I bought for his wife to carry while he was out of town on tours of duty was not new but almost new and came with 3 boxes of ammo and had a great price on it but like I said it is a ladies guy and pretty pink......lol.  I can't even remember what brand of gun it was but they went to the range and it performed well for her so I guess that is what counts there. Since they broke in their apartment this weekend he wants to have a back up gun in a mans size. For when he is at home on leave or for when he gets out, if he gets out. Right now he is on injured reserve from a night jump accident about 2 months ago.

I'm likely one of the few that have never had a single problem with any Taurus. Loved the crap out of my PT92 AFS and kick myself every day for selling it. Slide and action were like butter. Was heavy no doubt, but loved that gun.

My reason for it over the Baretta was 1 simple thing. The decock / safety and the fact it returns to neutral on the Taurus where the Baretta stays in decock.

I'm probably even more narrowed out when i say I love my TCP 380 too!

Now your talking. I had a TCP 380 and a buddy talked me into selling it to him and I have kicked myself a dozen times for ever selling it. That was one of the things I was looking at with the PT92 was the fact it says it's a double action which is what my Bersa's are and I love that fact about them. Was also one of the main reasons I bought 2 of them at once. I cannot believe the Bersa Thunder 380's were about $219.00 when i bought them and now they are closer to $300.00 just a few years later.  I love my greanson a lot but he will never get to see my pride of the 380 line. I have a Llama 380 ESpecial  lemon squeezer that everyone that sees it falls in love with it so it will not be fore his eyes............. :rofl:  :rock: 

Some of you had to send a Taurus back? Every brand occasionally has to go back. I had to send a new $800 Sig back for some "adjustment". No harm, no foul; they are mechanical devices after all. That being said I really have my eye on a Taurus Judge magnum!
  • Like 1
Doug,
You need to bring him to a store and let him feel and possibly shoot different guns. For me s&w m&p or with less capacity a s&w shield, or Springfield xd or xdm. For less capacity xds. For metal frame guns Sig da/sa anything. If it is for home protection a 1911 in either 45 or 9mm would work or a commander size 1911.

Again take him to the range and let him shoot as many different guns as possible before picking one. It is not only how it feels, but also how he shoots it and how it feels to shoot.
I am not a big Taurus fan other than their revolvers.

I have had two Taurus semi autos and three Taurus revolvers. I had problems with one semi auto and two revolvers. 

But the semi auto I had no problems with was a PT 92. After around 1000 rounds the slide failed to lock back after the last round. One time. 

Other than that it has been perfect.

No FTE, no FTF. 

Having said that I now have a Glock 19 as a house gun. Lighter and I like the trigger better.

And a Bersa Thunder 380 as a carry gun.  

Edited by billyscott

I just love my FNX - 9. Very good shooting pistol, DA/SA with a decocker/safety. Comes with 3 17 round mags. Can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911 or decocked and double action on the first shot which is what I prefer. I haven't shot a S&W M&P but I hear lots of good things about those.

Doug,
You need to bring him to a store and let him feel and possibly shoot different guns. For me s&w m&p or with less capacity a s&w shield, or Springfield xd or xdm. For less capacity xds. For metal frame guns Sig da/sa anything. If it is for home protection a 1911 in either 45 or 9mm would work or a commander size 1911.

Again take him to the range and let him shoot as many different guns as possible before picking one. It is not only how it feels, but also how he shoots it and how it feels to shoot.
I am not a big Taurus fan other than their revolvers.

I do plan on going up to Sumner Gun and Supply with him when he gets back in town and let him shoot my Bersa Thunder 380 to begin with and if Sumner Gun Store has any others he can shoot I will make sure he gets to shoot as many as they have they will let him fire some rounds through. I want him to get what ever he is most comfortable with that fits him. He's an Army Ranger and I'm sure he will be able to find the right one for him since he has shot several 1000 rounds in both combat in Afghanistan and on the range  on base. Thing is he is time limited on how long he will be home so will have to move pretty quick once he gets home.

I have had two Taurus semi autos and three Taurus revolvers. I had problems with one semi auto and two revolvers. 

But the semi auto I had no problems with was a PT 92. After around 1000 rounds the slide failed to lock back after the last round. One time. 

Other than that it has been perfect.

No FTE, no FTF. 

Having said that I now have a Glock 19 as a house gun. Lighter and I like the trigger better.

And a Bersa Thunder 380 as a carry gun.  

I had an issue with both of my Bersa's failing to lock after last round and had Sam look at them and it turned out to be the after market magazines. Sam did a little adjusting on them and problem solved. Now they lock every time on every mag.

You said he doesn't want a Glock looking gun... I'm guessing that includes the Springfield XDs, S&W M&Ps (my pistol of choice), and pretty much all the other poly striker fire guns.  All I'm hearing is 92/clone... what about CZs?  http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-b-sa/  they make the 75 in about any configuration you could want, and they are awesome shooters.  EAA Witness make excellent copies.  Even Academy now sells another clone under the Tristar brand, Turkish made, I believe, for just over 3 bills that seems to be a decent weapon.

There are also a slew of 9mm 1911s out there now, but that is probably going to take you up to the $500-700 range.

How bout a used Smith 3rd gen auto like a 5906, 6906, etc?  Those can be found in fantastic shape around $300-400 pretty easily... less if you can handle some wear and scratching.  I have a 3913 single stack bought from a forum member and it's one of my favorite range toys.  Check CDNNinvestments.com for good deals on police trade-ins.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with! :usa: