Carry question

RC3

[quote name="RC3" post="1101109" timestamp="1390693797"]Whats the punishment for carrying a pistol without a HCP? Googling this up gives me mostly what and what not to do. But not the punishment part of it. [/quote] 39-17-1307 Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

39-17-1307 Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

(e)  It is an exception to the application of this section that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, the person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to §  39-11-611 or §  39-11-612.

So, If am going somewhere sketchy, I am allowed to carry? In the vehicle at least? I got all the other parts down and a misdemeanor along with a fine (and probation like franklin is doing for everything) is not worth it. 

On a side note, when I put it in i brought up the calculator. Threw me off.

Edited by RC3
[quote name="RC3" post="1101123" timestamp="1390695319"](e) It is an exception to the application of this section that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, the person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to § 39-11-611 or § 39-11-612. So, If am going somewhere sketchy, I am allowed to carry? In the vehicle at least? I got all the other parts down and a misdemeanor along with a fine (and probation like franklin is doing for everything) is not worth it. [/quote] 1351 is the HCP holder section. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Never mind. Just dont carry a loaded weapon in the car. I just need to go in and get a carry permit. Dunno why I keep putting it off. 

We wont have that answer ether.

I will tell ya this, it aint hard to get the paper to carry.

• Like 1

Whats the punishment for carrying a pistol without a HCP? Googling this up gives me mostly what and what not to do. But not the punishment part of it. 

Specifically, the max penalty is 11/29 in jail and/or $2500 fine, Class A misdemeanor.

- OS

This. The usual penalty around here is about $250.00 in fines and court costs and the loss of your gun.

NOPE, definitely not worth it. Dont care about the fine nor the court costs. The last part is a plain nope.

Whats the punishment for carrying a pistol without a HCP?

Depends on your record and how much money you have for a defense.

NOPE, definitely not worth it. Dont care about the fine nor the court costs. The last part is a plain nope.

The price to replace a gun will probably pale in comparison to your attorneys fess or time in jail.

The price to replace a gun will probably pale in comparison to your attorneys fess or time in jail.

I know, I know. But its a last slap on the face before the penal system shoves itself up your ass.

If given probation along with a fine, you will not be able to buy a replacement for awhile.

Cuffed, stuffed, night in jail, bail money, lawyer fees, day in court, court costs, and you WILL not get your gun back.

If you get a good judge, probation or retirement of charges, $130.00 to get records expunged. 

Been there, done that, got the shirt.

Because I let mine expire. Got it renewed ASAP.

Get a HCP and carry on. 

If given probation along with a fine, you will not be able to buy a replacement for awhile.

Its not even that, a friend of mine is a car dealer and a franklin cop pulled him over, ignored his papers and everything. He went to court and the judge was giving everyone a probation. Granted it wasnt judge Al Nations, but thats just a bit crazy. Im glad brentwood doesnt have a court. BWPD will try to get you for anything. Long gone is the days of cool and understanding police officers. They are becoming a rare breed.

Its not even that, a friend of mine is a car dealer and a franklin cop pulled him over, ignored his papers and everything. He went to court and the judge was giving everyone a probation. Granted it wasnt judge Al Nations, but thats just a bit crazy. Im glad brentwood doesnt have a court. BWPD will try to get you for anything. Long gone is the days of cool and understanding police officers. They are becoming a rare breed.

Pulled over for what? Ignored his papers for what? Charged for what? Probation for what? Too much missing from this story....

While I'm not in TN yet I've traveled and worked in a lot of states over the last 30 plus years and rarely has the popo ever given me grief that I had not asked for....

Take the time to get a HCP. It's not worth the trouble you'll have if you have a car accident, go through a road block and have your piece exposed, etc. My ornery old neighbor is one that carries a gun all the time spouting off that the 2nd Amendment is his carry permit. I just change the subject every time he starts that garbage. Try that defense in court and see how far you get. There are a lot of things wrong with our gun laws but requiring a HCP isn't one of them.

For a little fair and balanced reporting:

I was over in Brentwood about 6 months ago working on  a remodel.   Went out for lunch with my 2500 HD Chevy loaded to the gills with a bathroom tear-out.  I changed lane at the last minute when I realized I was in the wrong lane to get the desired eatery.   Little did I realize there was one of Brentwood's finest sitting in the turning lane.   He saw my rapid lane change without the use of a signal.   On went his lights as he came after me.  I saw it coming so I immediately pulled over before he ever got to me.   In my mind I'm thinking he thought that I made an evasive move to get away from him, like I had something to hide  (dirty ole construction worker on a mid day drunk,  I don't drink by the way).  

He approaches.  Ask for my license very respectfully.   I hand him both my license and carry permit.   He ask if I am carrying, and if so,  it's location.  I say yes and that it's in my brief case.   He says with a smile, "well just make sure it stays there and we'll be good".   He then goes on to inform me the reason he pulled me over was that my brake light was out.    Gave me a warning and off we went.   

He was very professional,  kind, and respectful.   Kinda young too,  I'd say late 20's.     I was in the wrong for more than the brake light and all he did was give me a warning.      They are not all  ego jerks.     

There are a lot of things wrong with our gun laws but requiring a HCP isn't one of them.

While you are entitled to your opinion I absolutely hate opinions such as this as all this amounts to is brain washing people into believing that we need permission from the government to protect ourselves from the evil found in the streets. While there are only 3 states that allow concealed carry without permit AK, AR, & VT to me those are the 3 states that do not encroach into our 2nd amendment rights.... Beliefs such as this amount to agreeing with gun control.....  

• Like 1
A friend of mine got caught before the current HCP laws were in place. He owns his own business and carried at work under the law at the time it was legal. Forgot to unload on the way home. Got pulled over for speeding with .357 laying in the seat. Cost him $250 and surrendered the gun for 11/29. He eventually got the gun back but it took an act of congress. Plus we got to call him Jaybee for a while. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Pulled over for what? Ignored his papers for what? Charged for what? Probation for what? Too much missing from this story....

While I'm not in TN yet I've traveled and worked in a lot of states over the last 30 plus years and rarely has the popo ever given me grief that I had not asked for....

Alabama dealer tag. Thats it. Wasnt even expired. Not speeding, failure to yield, just alabama dealer tag. Woman judge got him on not having registration for the car since he is in TN and not alabama.

While you are entitled to your opinion I absolutely hate opinions such as this as all this amounts to is brain washing people into believing that we need permission from the government to protect ourselves from the evil found in the streets. While there are only 3 states that allow concealed carry without permit AK, AR, & VT to me those are the 3 states that do not encroach into our 2nd amendment rights.... Beliefs such as this amount to agreeing with gun control.....  

Fair enough.  A lot of people share your opinion.  I'm not going to get into a shouting match over whether a HCP takes away from or extends the rights guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment.  But most people that love to argue "constitutional carry" want to say that all "law abiding" citizens should be able to carry on their person at all times.  What defines "law abiding"?  If I just got out of the joint after doing a dime for aggravated burglary, am I "law abiding" after I paid my debt to society or until I get arrested again?  The HCP system is in place to make sure the people that do carry are "law abiding" and imposes stiff penalties for those that aren't.  It also makes an LEO's job more efficient and comfortable when at the scene of a shooting or dealing with a firearm in a traffic stop.

My point to the OP is, with the current laws that are in place (and aren't likely to change anytime soon), it's best advised to go through the motions and get a HCP, regardless of what you think the 2nd Amendment guarantees.

What defines "law abiding"?  If I just got out of the joint after doing a dime for aggravated burglary, am I "law abiding" after I paid my debt to society or until I get arrested again?

No, you are a convicted felon and can’t carry even in those states that have constitutional carry.

The HCP system is in place to make sure the people that do carry are "law abiding" and imposes stiff penalties for those that aren't.

HCP doesn't make sure people that are carrying are "law abiding".