Cold Temp Effect on Autos

HvBikeWlTravel

Has anyone ever experienced malfunction of an Auto-loader due to subfreezing temps? I suspect the 16* I trudged thru last night would not be a factor. But what about the -20s and below in the Northern regions?  Does the recoil spring rate change in extreme Cold? Could that thin little coat of oil on the rails hinder full cycle?

I usually carry a 9 or 40 on my walks mainly for the benefit of having more ammo conveniently packed in the extra clip/s.  But if it gets much colder I may start carrying a revolver. 

I use engine oil on my guns and I have never had a problem with mine at all in cold temps. I carry a Glock 21 and/or a 1911 when I go deer hunting and I have never had any malfunction with either of them . I have shoot them in 20 degrees and no problems . I always use engine oil because I think "gun oil" is a rip off . The engine oil does just fine and is cheaper on your wallet too. 

• Like 1
It was 28 deg outside for the shooting portion of my permit class. The girl that shot next to me had her Sig go bang, bang, click repeatedly. The instructor that stripped it said it was massively over lubricated and the oil had gelled in the cold.

The instructors made several comments about how all the high dollar pistols quit working in the cold while the cheap ones ran fine. The tight fits and tolerances are great until it gets cold. Add in way too much lubricant and you have a very expensive hammer.
  • Like 1

It was 28 deg outside for the shooting portion of my permit class. The girl that shot next to me had her Sig go bang, bang, click repeatedly. The instructor that stripped it said it was massively over lubricated and the oil had gelled in the cold.

The instructors made several comments about how all the high dollar pistols quit working in the cold while the cheap ones ran fine. The tight fits and tolerances are great until it gets cold. Add in way too much lubricant and you have a very expensive hammer.

That is when Glock comes in handy . Loose tolerences and small amount of oil will do just fine . 

The only point I would make is that if one is outside in extremely cold weather, teens and lower, there may be a noticeable decrease in recoil and velocity.  Especially if one is using 'lite' loads.  I have not seen it with pistols, but have seen it plenty of times with shotguns, esp. autoloaders to the point of malfunctions both from gun squib type ammo malfunction.  Again with shotguns, ballisticians recommend NOT loading shotgun ammo with a lup under 9000 for cold weather use.  Would imagine some similar thoughts with pistol ammo.  However, I would bet most factory SAMMI spec ammo there is no need to worry, but don't expect factory spec results in cold weather.

Well, I just thought about something. I used some of my Mil Pro 7 to lubricate the locks on my truck box. I went out one morning to get in the box and it had frozen, I couldn't beat the key in and a match wouldn't thaw the lock. I guess it is possible that a gun gets so cold the oil freezes. It probably would never get cold enough being under your clothing and against your body to happen.

The girl that shot next to me had her Sig go bang, bang, click repeatedly. The instructor that stripped it said it was massively over lubricated and the oil had gelled in the cold.

Well crap!  I gotta couple of Sigs to trade for .........................................a Taurus wheel-gun?  :squint:

Guess I can just store the Autos until more normal temps return.

My sidearm is carried outside several layers of insulation with only one layer covering weapon. It comes back in the house pretty darn chilly. I will shoot up the ammo  in the Spring just in case some condensation  effects the powder.  After several tests with primers I have little doubt they'll perform.

There for a minute I thought this was gonna turn into an "Oil Thread"!

On a side note , my Toyota "Auto" transmission is doing pretty good since I separated it's cooling system  from my engine. It is running it's own cooling from a separate transmission cooler and it is no more prone to the Toyota "pink milkshake" anymore Thank God !!!! . And it still shifts pretty good in the low temps contrary to what others believe . Ha ha I could not resist ! I guess only a mechanic or Toyota guy would understand  :cool:...................Opps , I forgot we are talking about Firearm Autos and not automobile autos , ha ha Seriously though , everytime I see the title of this thread I think of Automatic transmissions  :wave:

Edited by tercel89