Coke's America the Beautiful - Give me your thoughts

Shug

My vote is English. They can call me whatever they like. Way too much PC & butt kissing as it is. 90% of the

people that sing the National Anthem, do their best to screw it up & do, so now they do the same to America

The Beautiful.

Sing it as written or sit down.

JMHO

• Like 1
Guest theconstitutionrocks

FWIW several languages are common in many other countries. As the United States IS an ethnic melting pot and remains one of the most sought after places on the planet for people to live I think that we should embrace multi-culturalism. Not implying that we HAVE to accept/agree with it but we should not restrict those who practice it (within the limits of the law). That said English IS our official language, so, IMO if the activity in question has a legal requirement or is multi ethnic, then I think English is appropriate. A common language is one of the things that binds all of us together as a nation. If it is primarily a group that uses English as a second language and there is not a legal requirement that English be spoken, then sure, use whatever language you wish.

• Admin Team

In my opinion, this ad represents exactly why America is beautiful. 

This noble experiment that is our country does one thing that no other nation in world has ever managed to do.  We can take the world's tired, poor and huddled masses and turn them into Americans.  Wander the streets of New York and watch the immigrant Sihk cab driver working 20 hours a day.  Go to the fields on the west coast at harvest time and watch the immigrants who have come here illegally - with no small amount of personal risk to better their families.  Stay in any hotel in America and try and count more than one hand worth of non-immigrants working past the front desk.  Go put your boots on the soil of any third world country and talk to the common man on the street, who regardless of their leaders' rhetoric would give everything they own right now to come to America.

This is what makes America great, and it's something we're in danger of losing.  Our political parties love nothing more than to divide us into factions, and nothing makes that easier than spreading distrust of people who aren't like us.  Our "pundits" are getting rich off of selling a message of fear and hate.  It's cancerous, and it will affect us as a country.  Don't believe it?  Watch an hour of Fox News and keep a running tally of the stories that are based in something other than fear.

If we're going to find our way forward as a country and make the next two and a half centuries better than the last, we're going to have to find a way to embrace each other - even when they don't look like us. 

• Like 5
  • Admin Team
As a side note, the white, heterosexual, 'Merica loving pundits who are feigning outrage over Coke taking liberties with this commercial ought to Google Katharine Lee Bates, the author of the lyrics to America the Beautiful. Though she identified as a Republican most of her life, she wouldn't be welcome in today's GOP.

She "lived" with one of her fellow Wellesley professors, Katharine Coman for more than 25 years.

How's that for a historical fun fact?
  • Like 6

According to USA.gov America has no official language. Several states have adopted English as the official language, but there is no national language. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

According to the USA gov, you gotta pass an English test to become a citizen...

http://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/study-test/study-materials-english-test

I recon the ones pressing 2 haven't taken the test yet

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 3

As a side note, the white, heterosexual, 'Merica loving pundits who are feigning outrage over Coke taking liberties with this commercial ought to Google Katharine Lee Bates, the author of the lyrics to America the Beautiful.  Though she was identified as a Republican most of her life, she wouldn't be welcome in today's GOP. 

She "lived" with one of her fellow Wellesley professors, Katharine Coman for more than 25 years.

How's that for a historical fun fact?

There you go... turning a Merica thread into a gay thread  :rofl:   

In my opinion, this ad represents exactly why America is beautiful. 

This noble experiment that is our country does one thing that no other nation in world has ever managed to do.  We can take the world's tired, poor and huddled masses and turn them into Americans.  Wander the streets of New York and watch the immigrant Sihk cab driver working 20 hours a day.  Go to the fields on the west coast at harvest time and watch the immigrants who have come here illegally - with no small amount of personal risk to better their families.  Stay in any hotel in America and try and count more than one hand worth of non-immigrants working past the front desk.  Go put your boots on the soil of any third world country and talk to the common man on the street, who regardless of their leaders' rhetoric would give everything they own right now to come to America.

This is what makes America great, and it's something we're in danger of losing.  Our political parties love nothing more than to divide us into factions, and nothing makes that easier than spreading distrust of people who aren't like us.  Our "pundits" are getting rich off of selling a message of fear and hate.  It's cancerous, and it will affect us as a country.  Don't believe it?  Watch an hour of Fox News and keep a running tally of the stories that are based in something other than fear.

If we're going to find our way forward as a country and make the next two and a half centuries better than the last, we're going to have to find a way to embrace each other - even when they don't look like us. 

Like all things, it can be taken too far. When American traditions can't be celebrated for fear of offending immigrants, especially illegal ones, we have gone too far. There is nothing wrong with expecting them to become Americans. "Press 1 for English" pisses me off. That anger isn't directed at immigrants. 

Actually the coke ad had a gay couple in it - if you blinked you missed it http://www.advocate.com/sports/2014/02/02/watch-coca-cola-includes-gay-dads-super-bowl-ad PS: i'm just chuckling over what the advocate will think about all these hits from a gun forum! Not that theres anything wrong with that!

I'm hoping they will have a complete loss of bladder control

I am more amazed at all the idiots who think America the beautiful is the national anthem. This country is going down the gutter and blame who you want, but its true and you cant fault just a single group of people. 

• Like 1

Two things come to mind...

The first, America the Beautiful is NOT our national anthem. It's just a f*cking song.

The second, America, along with our English speaking cousins in the UK, Canada (for the most part.) and Australia, are the only assholes in the westernized world that are monolingual. It should NOT be a f*cking point of pride. Especially when the majority of people that speak English in the world don't even speak it as a first language. (Nor do they live in the US. Literally EVERYONE EVER speaks the language.) So maybe exposure to languages OTHER THAN English ISN'T a bad thing, maybe it's not a terrorist act, and it more than likely won't degrade the patrotic fibers which are apparently the only thing holding this country together.

• Like 4

I never heard of no native American's speaking English as a native tongue before the white man came...

My ancestors didn't all speak English when they came here. Some of them spoke English, some of them spoke German, some of them spoke Hebrew.

I don't mean this as inflammatory, derogatory or as an attack on anyone:

I find it small minded and bigoted to think that an American is not accepting of fellow Americans, regardless of language.

The United States has no 'official language.'

Taken from answers.usa.gov:

"There is no "official" language for the United States, although some individual states list English as their official language. If you would like the United States or your state to adopt an official language, you should contact your elected officials.

The federal government is currently required to provide access to federal programs and federally assisted programs for people with limited English proficiency. To access more information about this topic, please visit the Limited English Proficiency website."

To answer the question, I liked the commercial and I found it beautiful how the melody remained the same, regardless of the language, and that is what I believe we were all meant to take away from it.

• Like 2

The first, America the Beautiful is NOT our national anthem. It's just a f*cking song.

The second, America, along with our English speaking cousins in the UK, Canada (for the most part.) and Australia, are the only assholes in the westernized world that are monolingual. It should NOT be a f*cking point of pride. Especially when the majority of people that speak English in the world don't even speak it as a first language. (Nor do they live in the US. Literally EVERYONE EVER speaks the language.) So maybe exposure to languages OTHER THAN English ISN'T a bad thing, maybe it's not a terrorist act, and it more than likely won't degrade the patrotic fibers which are apparently the only thing holding this country together.

:bow:

Exactly what I expect from this forum. The same old bigoted geezers whining about how their feelings got hurt.

Y'all act all tough and dream about killing people that wrong you but cry more than my 8 month old niece when she hits her head on something.

GROW UP!!!!
  • Like 3

Chocho  :x:

• Like 1

I never heard of no native American's speaking English as a native tongue before the white man came...

My ancestors didn't all speak English when they came here. Some of them spoke English, some of them spoke German, some of them spoke Hebrew.

I don't mean this as inflammatory, derogatory or as an attack on anyone:

I find it small minded and bigoted to think that an American is not accepting of fellow Americans, regardless of language.

The United States has no 'official language.'

I love when people deflame immigrants. EVERY SINGLE person in this country aside from the natives is an immigrant. Wanna get rid of immigrants? Then return the land to the natives and leave the country. You are a 100% pure american? Unless you spawned your self, you are no better than anyone else. And while I do agree some people should not be here due to their actions, we are all from the same species. 

Exactly what I expect from this forum. The same old bigoted geezers whining about how their feelings got hurt.

Y'all act all tough and dream about killing people that wrong you but cry more than my 8 month old niece when she hits her head on something.

GROW UP!!!!

Lighten up Frances. I'm seeing a discussion here. I have probably done as much off topic bitching as anybody. Has nothing to do with the Coke commercial. I'm fine with that. It has to do with naturalized citizens being required to learn English, and the fact that laws don't matter. This old geezer grew up around immigrants that spoke English, broken as it was.

• Like 1