Hearing protection

Guest Revelator

Guest Revelator

Those little rubber ear plugs are not good hearing protection when at the range. Especially when shooting 12 gauge and .308, which I was yesterday. It's been about 20 hours now, and the ringing in my ears is down to about what it sounds like when you leave a rock concert.

Makes me wonder what combat soldiers do, especially when it's a pitched battle with grenades and artillery and whatnot. What did WWI and Civil War soldiers do about this? They must have been deaf after a month.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you squeeze them down and allow them to expand in your ear canal?

The foam plugs I use have a range between 29 and 32 NRR. Haven't had any discomfort yet.

Yeah, I have some Smith and Wesson ones, seem okay with my 9mm and .357, even with my 870, but I admit that I added headphones when Bubbiesdad started firing off that big bore howitzer of his at Norris last week. :rolleyes:

I've also added the headphones near somebody shooting 44 mag indoors at Coal Creek.

- OS

Yeah, I have some Smith and Wesson ones, seem okay with my 9mm and .357, even with my 870, but I admit that I added headphones when Bubbiesdad started firing off that big bore howitzer of his at Norris last week. :rolleyes:

I've also added the headphones near somebody shooting 44 mag indoors at Coal Creek.

- OS

How often do you guys go down to Norris...I been meaning to get down there so I could let loose with some cheapo birdshot through the Saiga 12and sight in my .308

How often do you guys go down to Norris...I been meaning to get down there so I could let loose with some cheapo birdshot through the Saiga 12and sight in my .308

Hollar at me if you wanna/can go on a weekday, I'd go widja; probably pretty open then.

I got a new pistola I'd like to shoot more soon anyway...

- OS

Those little rubber ear plugs are not good hearing protection when at the range. Especially when shooting 12 gauge and .308, which I was yesterday. It's been about 20 hours now, and the ringing in my ears is down to about what it sounds like when you leave a rock concert.

Makes me wonder what combat soldiers do, especially when it's a pitched battle with grenades and artillery and whatnot. What did WWI and Civil War soldiers do about this? They must have been deaf after a month.

Had the same question and heres what I got. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2632&highlight=combat+hearing+loss

Guest Todd@CIS
Ive had explosions go off and machine gun / rifle fire. It is bothersome in training but in the real thing I didnt really notice it so much.

My experience is the same. When things were for real, I hardly noticed it. Having said that, my "for real" situations have not been heavy, sustained rifle fire. Mine have consisted of a few pistol shots (both indoor and outdoor).

On the range however, I'm pretty anal about hearing protection...especially since I have sensitive/good hearing ears.

As far as Peltors, I'm issued these at work. I'm on my third pair in less than 2 years. They're nice when they work, but we're having trouble with these things constantly breaking.

Edited by Todd@CIS
  • 2 weeks later...

Been in or around airplanes now for 25 yrs...wow. Started flying when I was 13, never wore earplugs till I was 25 and started working around jets. I just wear the foamy ear plugs due to the comfort. We get our hearing checked every year and so far no loss, even with the little orange foamy deals.

After seeing what canynracer put up, I think I would buy these for the range.

Huh?...What?..thought I heard something?

Been in or around airplanes now for 25 yrs...wow. Started flying when I was 13, never wore earplugs till I was 25 and started working around jets. I just wear the foamy ear plugs due to the comfort. We get our hearing checked every year and so far no loss, even with the little orange foamy deals.

After seeing what canynracer put up, I think I would buy these for the range.

Huh?...What?..thought I heard something?

The weird thing about the electronics, and those for sure (because I have them and have personal experience with them) is the amplification that you get. You can here people across the room talking that normally you wouldn't. It's pretty neat.