school to ban "bullying trigger"

BigK

And honestly, I really doubt that 'Tons of grown men' like My Little Pony....

Oh yeah, it's a thing. Bronies they call them and they take all kinds. Brother in law is a veteran, works on an oil field, eats raw meat and drinks beer and lives boobies. Also loves MLP.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1126452" timestamp="1395165702"]Oh yeah, it's a thing. Bronies they call them and they take all kinds. Brother in law is a veteran, works on an oil field, eats raw meat and drinks beer and lives boobies. Also loves MLP.[/quote] Like I said, it's a great show!
@TMF,

I get where you are coming from 100% but I still disagree to a point. I liked weird things at that age that caught me a line of crap daily at school. Kids are cruel and they said and did things that made me feel bad, sometimes I cried. Sometimes I got in fights. Tears and bloody knuckles are a part of childhood. If I never learned to tell a schoolyard bully to pound sand, how would I be coping now as an adult?
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="1126463" timestamp="1395167446"]@TMF, I get where you are coming from 100% but I still disagree to a point. I liked weird things at that age that caught me a line of crap daily at school. Kids are cruel and they said and did things that made me feel bad, sometimes I cried. Sometimes I got in fights. Tears and bloody knuckles are a part of childhood. If I never learned to tell a schoolyard bully to pound sand, how would I be coping now as an adult?[/quote] I think all kids get picked on at some point. It's what kids do. When I was that age if I wasn't getting picked on it meant I was probably picking on someone else. It's the pecking order of young boys, and it does teach us stuff about what we'll put up with and what we will fight over. Thing is, when you have a kid who is a complete social outcast, it rises to another category. That is the kind of stuff that is damaging to a kid, I think. And while we want our kids to grow up unafraid to defy social norms, ya gotta keep that within reason. Just because it fits with you doesn't mean it fits in society. I wouldn't mind dressing up in flip flops and shorts to work, smoke pot on the weekends and get a Mike Tyson tattoo on my face, but I won't be able to keep my job or find a new one. Sure, I'd be keeping true to who I am, but society is gonna kick me in the jimmy. Kids need to understand that lesson just as much as they need to understand how to handle bullies. In my opinion, this isn't about being bullied at little bit the way we were; this is about standing out and being a total social outcast. Sorry, but I don't want that kind of childhood for my kid. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe its my backwards redneck coming out but a 9 year old boy who carries a my little pony backpack ought get his ass whooped.  â€¦and in a proper world, it woulda been his father doing first.

I loved He-Man when I was 9.  Eyeballed She-Ra a time or ten :dirty:  but NEVER woulda bought any of it and damn sure wouldn't have come to school with it.  

No I hear you, I just think "total social outcast" might be making more of this than there is. I'm sure there are other MLP kids there for him to hang with and I'm sure if you asked the little boy he would tell you he likes his backpack and to hell with the other kids. I really see this as sensationalism, slow news day so we put the kid with the pink backpack on.

Either way this is self correcting behavior. He'll either say to hell with the bag or to hell with the haters.

I hope for the later.

Maybe its my backwards redneck coming out but a 9 year old boy who carries a my little pony backpack ought get his ass whooped.  â€¦and in a proper world, it woulda been his father doing first.
I loved He-Man when I was 9.  Eyeballed She-Ra a time or ten :dirty:  but NEVER woulda bought any of it and damn sure wouldn't have come to school with it.

Hey, She-Ra was hot! :lol:

What kills me about all this bullying is they don't even realize or care that they are turning their kids into pussies.  I'm not advocating bullying, I'm advocating kids being kids.

I was bullied heavy in school.  I know why too, it's no mystery.  My ass wasn't big enough to back up my mouth.  Eventually I learned though.  Shut up OR level the playing field.  

By hiding them under the skirt and tit of all these rules, they are not going to be prepared for what awaits them.  One day this little boy may find himself face to face with a thug who don't give a rats behind about what rules say.  Get out of the car, gimme your wallet or I'll stab you in the throat.  At best the kid will watch helplessly as Mr thuggy drives away in his Prius sipping on the McCafe chocolate covered strawberry latte he just bought.  Worst case he'll wonder why the system didn't save him as he bleeds out from his carotid.  

Our school system is raising feeder herds.  Perfect food for the wolves.  

• Like 1

What kills me about all this bullying is they don't even realize or care that they are turning their kids into pussies.  I'm not advocating bullying, I'm advocating kids being kids.

I was bullied heavy in school.  I know why too, it's no mystery.  My ass wasn't big enough to back up my mouth.  Eventually I learned though.  Shut up OR level the playing field.  

By hiding them under the skirt and tit of all these rules, they are not going to be prepared for what awaits them.  One day this little boy may find himself face to face with a thug who don't give a rats behind about what rules say.  Get out of the car, gimme your wallet or I'll stab you in the throat.  At best the kid will watch helplessly as Mr thuggy drives away in his Prius sipping on the McCafe chocolate covered strawberry latte he just bought.  Worst case he'll wonder why the system didn't save him as he bleeds out from his carotid.  

Our school system is raising feeder herds.  Perfect food for the wolves.  

Or he is going to be the gentle giant type that no one expects and he is going to kill that mugger with a single punch.  Gross generalizations don't work well.  And saying that kids need to be bullied to be productive members of society is a huge problem. 

Sure, its unlikely that it ever happens but why can't people just be passive?  Not everyone is built to cope with things.  

Never said they NEED to be bullied.  That's just crazy, but people can learn SOME amount of strength.  Others obviously are predisposed to a higher level.  

It's pathetic, shame on parents, administrators and kids alike that they whine like a little b!t¢h cause little jimmy laughed at my shoes!  

Add this one to the never ending list of reasons I'm glad I chose not to propagate.  

I ain't saying it's right, but getting picked on or teased or bullied is part of growing up. I was the kid with cheap ass ghetto sneakers in elementary school. I got teased for it and it sucked, but there was nothing I could do about it. My parents couldn't afford better. I didn't exacerbate the situation by borrowing my little sister's pink socks. 

Was there even actually bullying? As others have suggested, MLP is on a weird journey right now and carrying such a backpack could be considered cool in an ironic way. *shrug*

Depends on what you consider bullying.  The kid claims that he was shoved and punched and ridiculed verbally.  Personally, I'd say it qualifies.  

Others disagree with me and say it isn't bullying until he is bleeding profusely and has broken bones. 

Yep. My dad... "Hit him as hard as you can. You might get your butt kicked, but he'll respect you". It worked too, including me getting my butt kicked a couple of times.

Heh, worked for me too. Though my Dad claimed he'd never told me that after I got in trouble for taking it probably a little too far. Still a trail of bloody noses certainly put over the message "I may seem like a soft target but guess again". But I know not everyone is physically equipped to take that path.

Depends on what you consider bullying.  The kid claims that he was shoved and punched and ridiculed verbally.  Personally, I'd say it qualifies.  

Others disagree with me and say it isn't bullying until he is bleeding profusely and has broken bones.

That counts. Though possibly on the low end of the scale (though I think bullying is probably more about unrelenting misery at whatever level than an incident or two). He probably should have had enough awareness to know that would happen though.

My daughter and I watch MLP:FiM all the time.

Rainbow Dash is our favorite character. It is a running joke among my friends that I only bought a Mustang because I am a Brony.

Now, I have a minor luxury in this department as I have a little girl, and I know that things will change dramatically in a few years. But she dresses up as a Ninja Turtle and Darth Vader for Halloween and has a massive NERF sword collection. It is the exact same situation as this little boy carrying a Rainbow Dash backpack but in reverse. There isn't a single father here that will call foul when I take my daughter to the range where she can outshoot adults with her own gun, cause that is what she likes doing. 

But let a little boy take a Rainbow Dash backpack to school...

IMO this is all part of a dress code, which the reason behind them is no distractions and no bullying. What were the coats a few years back, kids would literally kill one another over them? Or the shoes? I would hate to think that I sent my kid to school with a pair of Jordans and she got killed for them. On the same thought, I would hate to send her to school with the Pro Wings that got me teased when I was a kid. But hey, teasing is what kids do.

I think it is shit that this kid got bullied for his backpack. I think it is shit that the school banned his backpack. But, this is the world we live in, and as long as the majority allows this to happen, it will only get worse.

• Like 2

This story reminds me of Johnny Cash's " A Boy Named Sue." 

And at the end of the song, what did the writer want to name his kid?  That's the thing folks need to think about.

Yeah, I think it's easy for us to look back on our childhood and attribute all the good and bad things that happened to what it made us who we are today.  I think that we forget just how awful some of that can be for a kid though.  Being bullied a little isn't that bad.  It is actually the natural order of things.  You can see it in just about any animal in nature.  The bigger and stronger pick on the weaker of a species so that the strong remain in power and the weak remain weak.  It sucks, but when you're small you deal with it, and hopefully don't perpetuate it when you get bigger. 

But there is a big difference between having the class bully smack you around a bit or make fun and having the entire class make fun of you.  Maybe that isn't the case here, but I have a hard time believing that it isn't.  When I was that age a My Little Pony backpack would result in no one talking to that kid for the rest of the year, other than to remind him what a queer his is.  Seriously, 9 year old boys are aholes.  Yeah, they're all nice and sweet around momma and the grandparents, but when you get a pack of 9 year old boys together they are a den of jackals.  I can remember.  And even if some of those boys might feel sorry for the kid, they sure as hell ain't gonna subject themselves to the same torture by breaking from the pack.  So, I think about it in that context.  If I was the kid's teacher I would be heartbroken to watch a kid have to go through something like that.

But maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe we do live in a magical world where kids are actually not aholes to each other anymore.  Perhaps those kids who are killing themselves because they have no friends and are targeted by the majority of their peers are just blowing it out of proportion? 

Yes, teachers need to address bullying and stop it when they see it.  Teachers don't see everything though.  Think back to when you were kids.  Think about how much you got away with when they weren't looking.  Think about the fights you got into and there were no teachers around.  Think about when you got your ass kicked and there were no adults around to break it up.  Now, consider that every moment outside the view of the teachers this kid is getting tormented, and he has no friends to turn to.  It might not be that bad, but, like I said, a My Little Pony backpack would have been the end of everything when I was that age.

Grayson Bruce said other students picked on him and bullied him because the backpack was “girly.”

That’s about the same as calling him gay. Let’s see what happens when the gay’s unleash their wrath on this school.