How can I check if Glock is Stolen

I have a guy interested in trading me a G19. Red flag went up when he said that all he had was the gun and one mag. I tried to search, but couldn't find anything. Is there any website or something I can type the serial number in to see if this gun is stolen? Thanks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the serial number call the local PD and ask them to run it. MPD has some pretty good officers who are fairly gun friendly in my experience.

If you seriously think it's stolen and don't want to call the cops and ask then just walk away from the deal.

Why is that a red flag? Lots of people don't save the factory stuff, or they lose it, or they buy guns used without it. If you ask to see his TN state ID and sign a bill of sale and he declines, or if you have some other reason to believe he is shady then by all means decline the deal, otherwise you should be good to go. But if you insist on running a check you can call your local PD and ask if they will run it for you. Or you can go to any ffl dealer and ask them to do a TICS transfer for you which includes a check for stolen.
  • Like 7

I have both bought and sold a couple of firearms that didn't have the factory box and all that came with it but I would have to say that if we are talking about a modern firearm; something likely purchased in the last 10 years or so I'd be surprised if the box and factory stuff wasn't included and would be a little suspicious.

Frankly, there are plenty of Glocks out there to buy...if you have any discomfort at all with the deal then just walk away.

NOTE: I'm talking about pistols mostly...I rarely keep the cardboard boxes for rifles, etc (although I have a couple) and don't usually expect to get a rife in the original box!

Any way you go at trying to run the gun numbers either by local PD or FFL dealer, if it comes back stolen the police will take the gun and you will have to answer questions. If FFL runs it and it comes back stolen they will not give it back to you and turn it over to the local police or they can lose their FFL license. If the deal sounds to good I would walk away...................jmho

Edited by bersaguy

For what it's worth, I bought Glocks from dealers that were LE trade ins. They came as pistols with one mag in a padded envelope. There were tons of police trades that didn't have boxes with them. People move. People put stuff in the attic.

Trade based on the character of the man you're dealing with, not his lack of factory boxes.

• Like 7

In TN only one way to do it without You losing gun or money. He has to go with You to nearest Police Office/Sheriff Dept

or most dealers will run free background search and have it run. If it comes up stolen he is the one out gun and gets to explain

where he got it.  If its ok then pay him and get the copy of it run through T.I.C.S  ,this way if someone turns it in stolen a year

later at least You have paper showing You had it ran at purchase. You would still lose it but previous owner would have to

give statement to police.  Always a chance buying a used gun.

[quote name="Glock30" post="1127069" timestamp="1395263731"]For what it's worth, I bought Glocks from dealers that were LE trade ins. They came as pistols with one mag in a padded envelope. There were tons of police trades that didn't have boxes with them. People move. People put stuff in the attic. Trade based on the character of the man you're dealing with, not his lack of factory boxes.[/quote] This. The fact that he doesn't have the box and or other magazine means little to squat

I have a glock and only the mag. I bought it used from a vendor at a gun show. I have sold a rifle without box or paperwork. Was not stolen. I have bought guns without box and meet some pretty cool people. If you are unsure, go for a quick check with the local PD. Worse case, get a bill sale.

I don't know that I'd want you having my Glock case either. Did you see where the 19 went through the house fire and came out just fine because it was in the case?

You know where the fine china and silverware is going now.

If I ever sell my Glock 22, it will be without the original case and paperwork.  Had a break-in several years ago and someone stole (along with many other things) the (empty) factory Glock case with my bill of sale, cleaning rods, and Gen 4 backstraps.  Luckily for me, the gun, mags, mag-loader, and even the original fired casing in the manila envelope were not in the case, and I still have those.

No need to pay dealer $10 anymore they all now have the ability to run it through T.I.C.S for free,most will do it if not busy and

I have seen it come back in a minute or two. If it shows stolen the State has already notified the nearest LEA to go pick it up

and take a report.

I keep all my receipts of every gun I have bought from a dealer, of course I don't have any from private sales. Ask him if he has the original receipt. I actually keep a copy of my receipt for my G21 and SP101 in my wallet because they are the two I carry, just in case i'm ever questioned by a LEO about them. Edited by K191145

The stolen check is on their background check and is free to the as many as they want to check ,they "shouldn't" be

charging for it. Most any FFL can and will do it for free.  I have bought a couple used but had them run for peace of mind.

Have a neighbor that had been a serious collector for the last thirty years in Mid TN and started to thin out his collection.

all bought private sales at local gun shows and ads.  He turned them over to a gun shop to sell on consignment a

mix of longuns&handguns 35 total.  All went through T.I.C.S fine.   He then did 5 more and three came back as stolen,

and he was out them.  Unless You know the person and know they bought it new it is hit or miss.  If You ever had to

use a gun and it came back as stolen have fun with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Walk into the Murfreesboro PD at shift change time with the Glock in your hand and be sure to wave it around while asking them to run it for stolen.

That's funny!!

Just kidding! Better not do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
Southern Lion here is how my Glock deal went down if it will make you feel any better. 3years ago I get a phone call from a friend who knows a guy with a gun for sale. I get minor details and agree to meet them the following day. The wife and I get to meeting place and this dude is a black male and truely the gangsta type, there goes my red flag. We meet and he pulls the pistol out the front of his pants, again all gangsta style. I take the gun clear it and look it over. I ask to break it down he says ok. During this time he is telling us that he "just got out of jail (busted for dope) and that he still sells a hell of a lot of pot and need to sell his pistol". Ok now red flags are beating me in the head. Now I came prepared for the situation. I offered him the opportunity to do transfer, he said no. So now my beautiful wife speaks up and says well your a trouble maker so here is how its going to work. She told him she will pay $225 and he will fill out a bill of sale and she will verify all his info. We had to explain the bill of sa le and he said ok. We took it home and a month later I had my local sherrif run the numbers. Came back clean so they shook my hand and congradulated me on a really good deal and took a gun out the hands of a bad guy. If it were hot they explained.they would take it and I would simply have to provide the sellers info from bill of sale. So as the others have mentioned if its too good a deal walk away, if your not comfortable walk away. I just happen to get lucky with mine. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  • Moderators

:ugh:

Southern Lion here is how my Glock deal went down if it will make you feel any better. 3years ago I get a phone call from a friend who knows a guy with a gun for sale. I get minor details and agree to meet them the following day. The wife and I get to meeting place and this dude is a black male and truely the gangsta type, there goes my red flag. We meet and he pulls the pistol out the front of his pants, again all gangsta style. I take the gun clear it and look it over. I ask to break it down he says ok. During this time he is telling us that he "just got out of jail (busted for dope) and that he still sells a hell of a lot of pot and need to sell his pistol". Ok now red flags are beating me in the head. Now I came prepared for the situation. I offered him the opportunity to do transfer, he said no. So now my beautiful wife speaks up and says well your a trouble maker so here is how its going to work. She told him she will pay $225 and he will fill out a bill of sale and she will verify all his info. We had to explain the bill of sa le and he said ok. We took it home and a month later I had my local sherrif run the numbers. Came back clean so they shook my hand and congradulated me on a really good deal and took a gun out the hands of a bad guy. If it were hot they explained.they would take it and I would simply have to provide the sellers info from bill of sale. So as the others have mentioned if its too good a deal walk away, if your not comfortable walk away. I just happen to get lucky with mine. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by CZ9MM
Z90HD, you got lucky on that one, I bet it was stolen and not reported or stolen by a family member and traded for drugs. In which case family member( victim) do not want to call the police for fear of retaliation or trouble for family member(suspect).

It is rare that his happens and likely not relative to your case, but it reminds me of a story a Chattanooga detective tells: This detective gets called and says go to xxx gunshop to retrieve a recovered stolen firearm. Gun store owner says the gun has been in and out of his shop several times over the last couple of years. He took it in and checked out clean, sold it and it checked out clean. Took it back in on trade, eventually resells the gun and it checks out stolen. Investigation reveled that the gun was stolen on the original sale. The victim had a time frame of the theft spanning more than two years, the gun was reported stolen within 30 days of the last inquiry.

Z90HD, you got lucky on that one, I bet it was stolen and not reported or stolen by a family member and traded for drugs. In which case family member( victim) do not want to call the police for fear of retaliation or trouble for family member(suspect).

It is rare that his happens and likely not relative to your case, but it reminds me of a story a Chattanooga detective tells: This detective gets called and says go to xxx gunshop to retrieve a recovered stolen firearm. Gun store owner says the gun has been in and out of his shop several times over the last couple of years. He took it in and checked out clean, sold it and it checked out clean. Took it back in on trade, eventually resells the gun and it checks out stolen. Investigation reveled that the gun was stolen on the original sale. The victim had a time frame of the theft spanning more than two years, the gun was reported stolen within 30 days of the last inquiry.

Yes Sir your right I got lucky with mine. In fact the officer who ran the numbers even told me that it is possible that it could come back later as reported stolen or something else. Its a chance I took and lucked out. If I had to do it again I would probably think twice.