I need a backpack recommendation

jgradyc

I need a recommendation for a backpack for day hiking. It is very important that it be comfortable with up to 35 pounds total weight. 

I am short (5' 5") and skinny (139 lbs) so a big pack just does fit right. I probably need a kid's back or a womens' backpack.  Or, maybe I just don't know how to wear a backpack. 

It does NOT have to be a big volume pack or be able to carry a sleeping bag or tent.. I will be carrying sand or rocks mostly. I just want the extra weight to get a good workout while hiking. 

I have the LA Police Gear 3-day pack. It's okay, but it feels a bit big on me. I've carried 18 pounds for 3 hours and it was beginning to cut into my shoulders. I'm pretty sure it's not going to cut it when I up the weight or when I'm not wearing a jacket.

I'd prefer a pack that has a hip belt so I can support some of the weight on my hips and not have to carry it all on my shoulders.

Price is a bit of an issue. I'd prefer not to pay $200 for a pack just to carry rocks. :)

As much as I love me some Maxped backpacks, the cheapest one with a waist strap is gonna run you over $150 and it won't even have an internal frame.

Since you're looking for one on the small size and cost matters, maybe something like this High Sierra backpack would work for you? http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Internal-Charcoal-21-5x12-75x9/dp/B004EBRG3K/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1396276624&sr=1-5

For a little more they make one specifically designed for people with a trim build. http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Series-59404-Internal/dp/B004EBJLXS/ref=pd_sim_sg_or_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WW2XPRHKAN1N4YRRWJQ

Both get excellent reviews on Amazon.

Edited by BigK

Packs do come in "torso" sizes.  Visit a local outfitter type place and they should be able to fit you.  Most hiking packs say what range torso they fit.

http://www.backpacker.com/videos_pick_the_perfect_pack_measure_your_torso_length/videos/10

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-torso-hip-size.html

How you have the straps adjusted and how you pack the weight inside it can also make a huge difference in how a pack fits and how well it carries the load.

That said, I'm a little bigger than you at 5'7" & 160 and I've got a medium Camelbak similar to this.  Having the hip belt makes a big difference as weight increases...  http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82696

• Admin Team

If you're looking to carry weight for fitness, and you're here in Nashville, I'd really recommend getting fitted for a pack as opposed to trying to order one.  REI in Brentwood can do a pretty good job of this, and have plenty of packs for all body types.  Yeah, it sounds like you might be looking at a youth sized pack.

I don't know how your sewing skills are, but you really ought to consider sewing up some 5-10 lbs. sandbags if you're going to be carrying them on a regular basis.  If you get fitted for a pack, you'll see what I mean, as you cannot be fit for a pack appropriately without adding weight to it.  The weight ought to sit close to your back, and then you can add some filler material (pillows) to the outside are to keep it in place.  Between pack fit and appropriate weight distribution, these are the two main areas that make a pack uncomfortable.  Get it right and you'll have a good experience.

Just to be clear, when you get a pack that fits you and get it loaded appropriately, the majority of the weight should be as close to your back as you can get it.  This puts it more naturally in line with your body and is much better for balance.  Second, those shoulder straps are just there for stability.  If that pack is going to ride comfortably, the weight should be carried on your hips, distributed evenly by the hip belt.  If the pack is digging into your shoulders because the hip belt is sub par or isn't doing its job, you're going to fatigue a lot more quickly.

I'd definitely suggest getting fit for one professionally.  Packs aren't cheap.  You're a lot more likely to stick with one that actually fits you.

• Like 3

I bought a Jack Wolfskin a few years ago for a day pack. It has a light frame and is small and comfortable enough to carry all day with chow, water and an AK pistol. I don't remember it costing much, maybe around $60? I still use it and it has stood up to relative abuse. It has been around the world and to at least a dozen state/federal parks. I have larger, 3-day assault packs with frames which probably cost in the $300 range, yet I only use my little Jack Wolfskin for day hiking. 2u4udety.jpgdaqazybu.jpg

Edited by TMF

+1 to REI. They have sandbags and pillows to stuff into them in the store to find the pack that's made for you. Someone there will help you find the right sizes, make necessary adjustments, and help you find the right one. The employees are all outdoors enthusiasts who know their stuff.

Edited by monkeylizard
+1 on REI to have a pack fitted.

As far as adding weight to your pack for a workout, buy water bladders to fill.

That way you can empty them for your downhill trek. Your knees will thank you for years to come.
[quote name="BBill_TN" post="1132813" timestamp="1396374927"]+1 on REI to have a pack fitted. As far as adding weight to your pack for a workout, buy water bladders to fill. That way you can empty them for your downhill trek. Your knees will thank you for years to come.[/quote] I'll add that using a bladder for weight would be better for a pack if you can keep the weight high. Big mistake I see with people humping weight is putting it in the bottom of their ruck. You want the heaviest stuff to the top. Having it low is bad for your back. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a touch smaller than you (5'4", 105lbs), and daily wear an REI standard-size daypack-style backpack, as I ride a motorcycle. It has a sternum strap (which is great), as well as a non-padded hip belt (that I normally leave stowed unless I really need it). It also has a sheet of molded plastic (similar to Kydex) that inserts in the lower-back area that helps keep pressure off the lower spine. I've had mine since 2005, and it's still going strong 9 years later. I've loaded mine with tools, a laptop, clothing & water to 20 or 30 pounds before, and it's as comfortable as a regular pack will get with that much weight. The pack I had before this one was also an REI pack, and it was around 10-15 years old and going strong. I don't think I paid over $100 for either one. They make some good stuff.

As others have said, mosey on down to the REI in Brentwood, and take an afternoon or evening trying on different packs. Have the staff load them with weight, then wear them around the store for a while. It'll take a few minutes, but pressure spots or packs that don't fit your body will start to make themselves known.  :)