Sociology Survey for College

Guest student12

Guest student12

Hi, I'm a student from Columbia University and I have a research assignment for my class.

I was wondering if anybody could take the time to fill out my survey. If you feel uncomfortable replying, you can email me answers at columbia.student@yahoo.com anonymously. After saving the answers to the survey questions I will delete the email.

/////START OF SURVEY/////

This survey is meant to be anonymous. Please do not include any personally identifiable information. This survey is for a sociology college course for a required assignment. The goal of this survey is to answer the research question necessary to complete said assignment. I ask that you complete the survey honestly to the best of your knowledge. There is no right or wrong answer. If you are uncomfortable answering a question you may leave it blank. If for any reason you feel uncomfortable with the survey while filling it out, you do not need to return it.

Circle One.

Do you own a firearm?

Yes

No

Have you ever owned a firearm?

Yes

No

Do you plan on owning a firearm?

Yes

No

Maybe

How much experience do you have with firearms?

None

Little

Moderate

Much

Are you for gun rights or gun control?

Gun

Control

Gun

Rights

Neither

Both

Unsure/

Don’t know

Write out the answers to the following questions.

Please define gun rights.

Please define gun control.

How much do you agree/disagree with the following statements? Circle One.

1. Background checks should be mandatory for anyone who owns or uses firearms.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Neither Agree nor Disagree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

2. High capacity magazines should not be banned.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

3. All firearms should be registered.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

4. Sale of ammunition should not be restricted to purchases done in person.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

5. Any private entity should be allowed to ban firearms at their establishment.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

6. City governments should not be allowed to ban firearms within city limits.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

7. There should be a limit on the number of firearms a person can own at any moment.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

8. Gun control restrictions need not be as stringent in rural areas.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

9. Automatic firearms should be banned.

Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

/////END OF SURVEY/////

Thank You!!!

Edited by student12

What class are you taking and what is the degree you are pursuing? 

Can you expound on why the question of "rural" vs "urban" firearm ownership matters? 

There are also some questions that "we", owners of firearms understand the current laws on that will be difficult to answer with a yes or no.  The question on automatic weapons for one.  Fully auto firearms are already "banned" unless you go through a special background check and the only firearms you can buy are older ones made earlier than May 1986 so no new ones are entering public hands.  An answer to that one to us, gun owners might mean something else to those that don't believe the public should own many styles of weapons.

Flesh out what you are trying to achieve here.  We have had reporters and other folks contact this forum seeking information and open dialoge works very well.  If you just want the data, I'm not as inclined to participate.

Edited by Rightwinger
  • Like 1

I will take your survey as soon as you post you real name, pic of your self and a phone number where you can be reached.

Other than that you are fishing and I aint biting.

I know this sounds like I am an a$$, but in this day and time ya just never know who is who.

• Like 3
Guest student12

The course I am taking is called "The Social World"

I am taking the course as an elective.

I am pursuing a Bachelor's of Science degree.

For this project, I am not interested in what is already banned or not and what the current laws are. I am specifically interested in what form of firearm control people who have any amount of experience with firearms are comfortable with. (Hopefully now that you know the purpose of the survey it won't skew the results)

Guest student12

On the note of rural vs. urban.

I noticed that cities sometimes require special permits/licenses. Plus many times recreational firearms are used for hunting which has limited potential in urban areas. Also because of the population density in urban areas, a firearm mishap can have potentially more casualties. So from briefly surfing the web I got the feeling that laws guiding firearms use tend to be different in urban vs rural areas.

Unfortunately, for the same reasons that you are hesitant to answer my questions I am hesitant to post my picture/phone number/name.

To stay completely anonymous you can email me the answers at columbia.student@yahoo.com using an anonymous email http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/anonymous-email-providers/

Edited by student12
[quote name="student12" post="1145877" timestamp="1399221756"] I am specifically interested in what form of firearm control people who have any amount of experience with firearms are comfortable with.[/quote] I'm not taking your survey, but will be more than happy to answer this. The type of "firearm control" I am comfortable with is absolutely none. My type of "firearm control" is the type where elected officials, both local and in D.C., stick to what was put before them that they swore to uphold. It's a fairly old document, I'm sure you haven't heard of it in college, it's called The Constitution of the United States and it's amendments. There are some particular words they should pay mind to ..."shall not be infringed". No permits, no licenses. That's the only type I'm "comfortable" with

Do you own a firearm? Yes

Have you ever owned a firearm? Yes

Do you plan on owning a firearm? Yes

How much experience do you have with firearms? Moderate

Are you for gun rights or gun control? Gun rights

Q: Please define gun rights. 

A: The Second Amendment

Q: Please define gun control.

A: Anything that contradicts the Second Amendment

Background checks should be mandatory for anyone who owns or uses firearms. Strongly Disagree

High capacity magazines should not be banned. Strongly Agree

All firearms should be registered. Strongly Disagree

Sale of ammunition should not be restricted to purchases done in person. Strongly Agree

Any private entity should be allowed to ban firearms at their establishment. Strongly Agree

City governments should not be allowed to ban firearms within city limits. Strongly Agree

There should be a limit on the number of firearms a person can own at any moment. Strongly Disagree

Gun control restrictions need not be as stringent in rural areas. **Other - The Second Amendment doesn't favor one setting over another

Automatic firearms should be banned. Strongly Disagree

/////END OF SURVEY/////

You're Welcome!!!

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 4

Pretty much a copy and paste of TripleDigitRides, except for the written out questions.

A: An absence of state intervention or regulation with respect to the individual ownership of "guns".

A: State intervention or regulation of individual ownership of "guns"

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 1

Background checks should be mandatory for anyone who owns or uses firearms. Strongly Disagree
Sale of ammunition should not be restricted to purchases done in person. Strongly Agree
Any private entity should be allowed to ban firearms at their establishment. Strongly Agree
City governments should not be allowed to ban firearms within city limits. Strongly Agree
There should be a limit on the number of firearms a person can own at any moment. Strongly Disagree
Gun control restrictions need not be as stringent in rural areas. **Other - The Second Amendment doesn't favor one setting over another

/////END OF SURVEY/////

You're Welcome!!!

Mark me down as same.
  • Like 2

/////END OF SURVEY/////

You're Welcome!!!

Mark me down as same.

Those answers work as well for me.

Damn we are lazy.....

Mostly just uncooperative. Hard to have any trust for a survey coming out of NY. I'm afraid the rhetoric that's been emanating from your elected officials for some time now isn't conducive to a spirit of friendly cooperation.

• Like 2

Mostly just uncooperative. Hard to have any trust for a survey coming out of NY. I'm afraid the rhetoric that's been emanating from your elected officials for some time now isn't conducive to a spirit of friendly cooperation.

Sorta like a cannibal inviting you to a dinner party.
  • Like 2

:tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Didn't mean my comment that way. It was targeted at myself, Murg, and Nicky who all basically copy and pasted TDR's post. Wasn't meant to demonize people chosing not to participate for any reason.

Edited by Ted S.

Pizza.

Pizza=good.

Ted S for president under the pizza party!

I figure it can't hurt confirming what they should already know. If it's someone writing a paper what harm can it do, and if its someone just trolling we'll figure it out. Can't see the point in an NSA sting to get folks on a gun owners board to admit they own guns, seems redundant even by government standards.

Its true what was said above though, give a little get a little. I'd be a lot more inclined to go in depth if I had an idea who I was talking too. The fact that student won't even share his .edu email but went out of his way to set up a yahoo email in the fashion of one gives me a case of the :rolleyes: . The reporter from the Tennessean used his real name and email and got people opening up candidly quickly.
  • Like 2

Even if student12 is here for some nefarious purposes, I refuse to allow my opinions on the subject to be silenced. Based on his/her response in post #6, I get the feeling he's/she's probably slightly liberal-minded, but I'm still going to give him/her the benefit of doubt that he's/she's a college student who's working on an assignment. If he/she were my child, I'd probably appreciate any cooperation from those being surveyed.

• Like 1

Even if student12 is here for some nefarious purposes, I refuse to allow my opinions on the subject to be silenced. Based on his/her response in post #6, I get the feeling he's/she's probably slightly liberal-minded, but I'm still going to give him/her the benefit of doubt that he's/she's a college student who's working on an assignment. If he/she were my child, I'd probably appreciate any cooperation from those being surveyed.

When people become afraid of voicing or publishing their own opinons; they are no longer free. They become servants.

Edited by Ted S.
  • Like 3
[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1145889" timestamp="1399224710"][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] Do you own a firearm? [size=4][center]Yes[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]Have you ever owned a firearm? [/center][/size][size=4][center]Yes[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]Do you plan on owning a firearm? [/center][/size][size=4][center]Yes[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]How much experience do you have with firearms? [/center][/size][size=4][center]Moderate[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]Are you for gun rights or gun control? Gun rights[/center][/size][/font][/color] [color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] Q: Please define gun rights. [/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4]A: The Second Amendment[/size][/font][/color] [color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4]Q: Please define gun control.[/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4]A: Anything that contradicts the Second Amendment[/size][/font][/color] [color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4]Background checks should be mandatory for anyone who owns or uses firearms. [/size][size=4][center]Strongly Disagree[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]High capacity magazines should not be banned. [/center][/size][size=4][center]Strongly Agree[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]All firearms should be registered. [/center][/size][size=4][center]Strongly Disagree[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]Sale of ammunition should not be restricted to purchases done in person. [/center][/size][size=4][center]Strongly Agree[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]Any private entity should be allowed to ban firearms at their establishment. Strongly [/center][/size][size=4][center]Agree[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]City governments should not be allowed to ban firearms within city limits. [/center][/size][size=4][center]Strongly Agree[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4][center]There should be a limit on the number of firearms a person can own at any moment. [/center][/size][size=4][center]Strongly Disagree[/center][/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4]Gun control restrictions need not be as stringent in rural areas. **Other - The Second Amendment doesn't favor one setting over another[/size][/font][/color][color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] [size=4]Automatic firearms should be banned. [/size][size=4][center]Strongly Disagree[/center][/size][/font][/color] [color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] /////END OF SURVEY/////[/font][/color] [color=rgb(40,40,40)][font=helvetica] You're Welcome!!![/font][/color][/quote] Ditto for me Notes: question 8 (rural vs city) is poorly worded. Its not clear what you are asking, thus difficult to answer the question. Also, you do not define hugh capacity magazine- this makes this question vague. Although mu answer would be the same regardless of what number you would choose. Lastly, this is a pointless aurvey since the SCOTUs ruled on the mcDonald case
Guest sigequinox

I will take your survey as soon as you post you real name, pic of your self and a phone number where you can be reached.

Other than that you are fishing and I aint biting.

I know this sounds like I am an a$$, but in this day and time ya just never know who is who.

I agree. I would like to see your .edu email address, not some generic yahoo one. very unprofessional for anyone, let alone an ivy league student.

Guest sigequinox

Also this is no way to conduct a legitimate survey. I know it's for a sociology class, which isn't real science (sorry, nerd dig) but if your goal is to obtain any meaningful data to draw any kind of purposeful conclusions this is awful. If I were your professor you would get a D at best (which would be generous).

(1) Data collection should be random to eliminate statistical noise (bias). Collecting data for a sociology study on firearms from a gun forum is, umm, bias. I really hope this same survey is not on Mayors Against Illegal Guns forum for exactly the same reason. Essentially your data collection method is useless.

(2) Your asking both on internet forums AND allowing for user submissions through email. People can double dip. Triple dip. Quadruple dip even. What amazing miracle quantitative trick do you have to mitigate this problem? Or maybe you are a PhD student in applied mathematics trying to find a solution to said problem?

(3) With no operational definition in the directions defining "strong", "moderate" etc, how can you possibly quantify the subjective answers/interpretations in any useful way?

(4) Is this a state specific demographic survey, national, or do you not even know what your end game is? If this will ultimately be a national survey, and your collecting data from internet forums, what happens if the TN forum gets 300 fewer responses than the NY forum? Now you have introduced geographical bias. 

Again, I can't emphasize enough how important "randomness" is in your sample population. Without it, I have no doubt your ivy league professors will throw this in the garbage. Then again, if you force the data to fit the liberal agenda, you might get an A ;-)

If I were you, I would go back to the drawing board with this survey. Given the prestige of the university of which you are matriculated, you surely have access to some of the best resources available.