Who knows abut these?

i have a gentleman that we swap back and forth with on things. He knows I have that P238 Sig I bought from TGO'er and he wants it and has a French made 32 caliber semi auto. I didn't even know the French were into building guns. He also has  Kel-Tec 380 and he is going to want to wheel and deal on that Sig I have.  I know the Kel-Tec might be 270.00 at most with 1 extra mag depending on condition but I have no clue about this French gun which he also has extra mag for. Can any one say anything positive about a French gun in 32 caliber to give me any idea at all of what it may be worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated.................... :up: :up:

Make sure it isn't .32 French Long... unless you like having guns you can hardly find brass, let alone loaded ammo for. 

Is that an older gun like maybe no longer made but still a few floating around?

Any chance it's a French MAB D? Here's a link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAB_Model_D_pistol

If so, they usually run in the $150-$200 range. My dad has one in .32. It's a decent shooter for the range (when it's not jamming), but not what I would call a highly reliable pistol for SD.

I don't know what the gun looks like yet. Will get to see it tomorrow evening. That is why I am trying to learn as much about french guns as I can before he shows up. Don't want to be trading my Sig for junk. He wants to trade me a Kel-tech 380 and  a French 32 Caliber and 200.00 for the Sig for his wife to carry. She is packing the Kel-Tec in her purse right now.

This might be a deal. Try to post a pic if you can get one. The French manufacturer Manurhin produced all of the .32 auto PPK's for import into the US. Interarms was the importer. FN produced a lot of .32 autos as well. The FN's are antiquated.      

There needs to be a book written about the French handguns of the 1900's.  It's a complicated and interesting subject.

The French were really leaders in small arms design prior to WWI.  They ignored semi-auto pistols, though.  In WWI, they ended up buying many thousands of Spanish-designed .32 automatics that are generically called 'Ruby' .32s.  Some were actually made by Ruby, but there were many other small manufacturers as well.  Quality is all over the map.

After WWI, the French company 'Unique' continued to manufacture improved versions of these pistols, and theirs are very high quality.  These went by a number pf names including '9 Coups', Corsair, etc.

Also after WWI, the French decided to do something about not having a decent semi-auto pistol.  They were impressed by the cartridge used by the US Pedersen Device (another story all by itself!), and adopted it as the 7.65mm Longue.  It took them another ten years to come up with pistols to use it.  And then, they couldn't make the first choice (called the M1935A) quickly enough when WWII was looming.  So they also made their 2nd choice (called the M1935S).

The M1935A is the fore-runner of the Swiss P210, using the same Petter design but smaller and much lighter.  Both the 1935A and 1935S are excellent pistols, well-made and reliable.  The problem is the cartridge is wimpy by US standards.  It uses an 85gr bullet at 1120fps, for 240 foot pounds of muzzle energy (ME).  For comparison, the .32acp is 71gr at 905fps for 129ME.  The .380acp is 95gr at 955 fps for 192ME.  So, it's about 25% more powerful than a .380acp.

The MAB company also made a small .32acp pistol of their own design called the model 'D' that French police used in large numbers.

As mentioned above, after WWII, Manurhin also made Walther PPk and PP .32 automatics.

So, as you can see, a French .32 could likely mean a Ruby, Unique, M1935A or M1935S, MAB 'D' or a Walther PP or PPk.

Show us a picture and we'll know more. 

Well I thank everyone for their input and as usual always get plenty of help when i ask for it. Now All I need is to see the gun tomorrow evening. The guy is really hot for this Sig I have to give his wife for her purse. Right now she has like I said  kel-tec 380 which is another gun i know very little about except I went and looked at Buds and the 380 Kel-tech they have , none of them are high priced. They are less costly then 380 Bersa's are. The guy is wanting to trade both of his guns and put up 200.00 cash to make the deal. The only thing I am scared of is the French gun??????? Might get him to leave just the French gun with me till Sunday so I can do some research on it before we make the deal. That way I can get some pictures up on here and you folks can help me out with what it is............... :up: :up:

Well now I am convinced the guy does not have a clue what French pistol he has. I just spoke with him and asked him for a model number and he said all it says on the gun is it is a Pistolet imported from France which tells me nothing because when I typed that in google search it put up about 200 or more pictures of French guns but he is on his way over here with it and the Kel-Tec and when I asked him what model the Kel-Tec was he said it was Green 380. Went to buds to see what they had and they have about 5 or 6 green Kel-tec 380's listed so won't know anything about it till the guy gets here. This guy may be leaving here unhappy because I am not going to make a bad deal for my Sig on any junk he may be peddling. I have known him a long time and and we have made some good deals in the past but this one does not sound good right now...........jmho

Well He left here an unhappy guy. He had a French MAB D and an Olive Green Kel-tec each with 2 mags. He said that he has talked with 6 of his buddy's that are local gun store owners and they all told him the MAB D was worth anywhere from 350.00 to 500.00 depending on the buyer and how bad they want it. I said well, it's not that i don't believe you because they may have told you that but a friend of mine that does not have a dog in this hunt at all specifically made it clear that is it was MAB D it was worth from 150.00-200.00 tops and I have a tendency to trust his word over hearsay from someone else. Then I said I would just rather not even discuss a trade of any kind even if your willing to add some cash because I know the amount your going to offer will be an insult and I would rather you didn't do that and he left and while going out the door he said I got a guy right now said he will give 300.00 for the French gun and i told him I hope the guy is not a felon because that is the only person I can think of that would pay that kind of money for junk....................... :up:  :up: Still have my Sig.......... :up:  :up:  :rofl:  

slaute-2.jpg

:)

LOL....that is just funny. I don't care who you are you gotta laugh at that. Here's a great skit of Oliver from the John Boy and Billy Show about the French and war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3fttjTADAA

Guest tangojuliet

make sure it isnt a savage 1907 thats just french marked .....  cause you might have to give it to me cause  ummmm umm its federal law ya thats it federal law 

OK, so you lost out on the deal to trade a Sig 238 for a Kel-Tec and some French pistol, good day for you I'm thinking ...

Well he was suppose to put a little cash in with the deal but he thought both the trade guns were worth gold and my thought was they were more tin can price so he left mad. Will find an owner for the Sig since my daughter loves my Bersa's and thats what she wants so gave her a new one I had in safe that has only been to the Range once to get sighted in and tested. She will practice with it till the class at the end of the month. I will replace it when I sell the Sig.