Why are Glocks so high?

jeff43

Why are they so expensive? It's not like there is a shortage of them. It's hard to find a used one for under $450, most of them I see are $500 to $550.Thats a Price of a brand new one.Also most any used guns nowadays people are selling are either priced above the price of a new one or within $25 of one.

ive wondered the same thing.granted most people that sell them have night sights and addons that adds a little right there.i do know that if your military,law enforcement,paramedic anything like that you can buy the brand new for 400.00 you just have to wait on a list for awhile.if your a member of gssf you can get them for 425.00 plus a little wait.so yeah seems price is high but everyone pays it kinda like the 22 ammo situation.

I have collected guns for over 30 years.  One thing I have learned, men will loose thousands on buying a new car, and then selling/trading it later, but will not be willing to lose a dime on a used gun.  Go figure! 

• Like 3

That's the truth, buddy! It is rare that I sell something a make a "profit" on it. I shoot, sorry bad pun, for as close as possible to what I have in something.

Sometimes it works...sometimes not. But I do put a limit on myself. 25 loss is pretty much it, Unless I'm desperate.

And I ain't desperate.

• Like 1

You can find G22 Glock pistols at or below $400 pretty regularly. Most of which are police trade-ins.

As for the rest keeping their value. They just do.  Why, I don't know. Maybe it's their price to start with, which is relatively cheap compared to other pistols.

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1

I have collected guns for over 30 years.  One thing I have learned, men will loose thousands on buying a new car, and then selling/trading it later, but will not be willing to lose a dime on a used gun.  Go figure! 

I think it's because the gun doesn't cost any thing to own. And you can stick in in the safe and not have to look at it every day.

As for the car. It cost gas, insurance, registration and in some cases taxes such as wheel tax ect.

Not to mention once you don't want a car you still have to look at it every day. and it's way to big to just hide it some where.

Also, for a lot of people it's hard to come up with the extra cash to buy another car like you can a gun.

So you have to sell the car to get another one.

Edited by TnShooter83
I think a lot of people overpay for a gun at some of these overpriced gun shops , or from "dealer " at a gun show.Then when they want to sell it they are trying to get their money back.Also there a so many people trading guns these days , trying to make a dollar.

You can find G22 Glock pistols at or below $400 pretty regularly. Most of which are police trade-ins.

As for the rest keeping their value. They just do. Why, I don't know. Maybe it's their price to start with, which is relatively cheap compared to other pistols.

Yep, price some of the HKs, SIGs, full size Beretta, etc.

Glock seems to have the knack for keeping supply/demand pretty well balanced , even including all the LEA trade-in's in the picture. Never really a serious shortage but also never so much of a glut that Glock drops the price much to dealers.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I'm taking a $145 beating on a SIG in the classifieds, and STILL none of you want it. I got an offer of $400!! WTH?

This site used to have good folks that would pick up a decent deal, and not try to gouge when selling. Now, it's dang near as bad as a gun show.

• Like 3
[quote name="Steelharp" post="1149851" timestamp="1400383974"]I'm taking a $145 beating on a SIG in the classifieds, and STILL none of you want it. I got an offer of $400!! WTH? This site used to have good folks that would pick up a decent deal, and not try to gouge when selling. Now, it's dang near as bad as a gun show.[/quote] Hate to hear that, but I guess I can understand where he or she is coming from. That's why (especially on this site) if it's not already priced close to what I'd pay for it, I just pass. I'm not much of a haggler and I like to make both sides feel decent about a deal. It's a shortcoming of mine, but I'm ok with it. On the Glock subject, not sure I have an answer. I think one reason is they have a strong following. I'm not really a "kool aid drinker" but I am a Glock fan
  • Like 1

A gun sitting in a safe doesn't drop in value. A car sitting in the driveway depreciates every year.

Paid 480 for brand new G26 gen3 2 weeks ago at my LGS 

buddy paid 525 for brand new G26Gen4 yesterday,same LGS

Glocks hold resale value better than any other polymer gun out there

XDs,Berettas  and M&Ps etc drop like stones and why I wont own one anymore.

I see used guns for as much as new for sale alot,sucker born every day I guess

Edited by SonnyCrockett

It was not that long ago that $400 was the upper end of what Sig 225's were selling for. I have seen one recently at a shop that is normally fair on pricing and theirs was $599.

There's one.. a P6, actually.. at a local shop here with NOTHING but one mag, and it's $505 plus tax and tics...

Or there is another theory, the seller would like to take advantage of the low informed, gun ignorant person, aka not the sharpest tool in the shed buyers.  Us gun nut people who hang out on gun forums 24/7 are likely NOT the targeted potential gun buyer pools these sellers were after anyway with our vast resources and shear gun value knowledge. 

Edited by Runco

Glocks hold resale value better than any other polymer gun out there
XDs,Berettas  and M&Ps etc drop like stones and why I wont own one anymore.

M&P is one of the most popular guns on this forum. I’m sure some members would appreciate letting us know where these cheap M&P’s are being sold.

I see used guns for as much as new for sale alot,sucker born every day I guess

I don’t expect to pay new price for a used gun, so lately I have just been buying new.
I don’t want a gun that has been dry fired for thousands of rounds or one that has been shooting steel case ammo; a few bucks isn’t worth the risk.
Even an abused Glock is still a good gun. You can take a police trade in that looks rough as a cob, change out the springs for $50 and have a like new gun.

To answer the OPs question, Glocks are not expensive, $450-$550 is a great price for what you are getting.
  • Like 1

You don't have your name attached in any way to a used gun purchased from an individual. That is worth something to a lot of people.

But your name will be attached? With so many people looking to jack someone up on a private sale (underage, out of state, convicted felon), how many legitimate sellers will sell you a gun without you showing an ID? I’m sure there are some, but I would think your purchasing would be pretty limited.
I am not a Glock fan. I'm sure they make a great gun, but I just don't like striker fired pistols. I am a DA/SA SIG P series junkie. They feel good in my hand and I shoot them accurately. Glock has a huge and loyal following and as long as there is demand, they will hold their value. They are worth as much as people are willing to shell out for them. When they quit selling at inflated prices, the resale values will drop accordingly. Michael Noirot Clarksville, Tennessee Life member National Rifle Association Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the book Glock: The Rise of America's Gun, when Gaston Glock first brought the 17 to market in 1985 there was a recommended retail price of $560 (which was less than the competition).  How much is that in today's dollars?  And how is it after nearly 30 years they can sell it for the same price or even less despite inflation and higher fuel costs?  Compare that to a car, or a house, or anything else from 1985.  I mean I'm really wondering how they do it!

I agree that $500 is an excellent value for a new Glock.  And that you don't have to spend the equivalent of another gun just to get a few extra magazines is a real bonus.  Now I did pretty much spend the equivalent of a new one on magazines, but in Glock's case that means I have over 20!  :woohoo:

• Like 2

And how is it after nearly 30 years they can sell it for the same price or even less despite inflation and higher fuel costs?  Compare that to a car, or a house, or anything else from 1985.  I mean I'm really wondering how they do it!

Growth, mass marketing, and competition. My first home PC cost $3500 in 1989 (according to goggle that’s $6800 in today’s money) a comparable PC today would be less than $1000.
I have been watching armslist for a few weeks and most of the prices I see there are more than what the same gun new is worth.

When I sell a gun what I look at is two things.
The first is what I would get for it as a trade and what the store would sell it for. Example, if the store would give me $400.00 and then mark it up $100.00 to me a fair price for me to sell it is about $25.00 to $50.00 more then the store would give me.
The second thing I look at is the reason I want to sell it. Is it because I don't like shooting it or do I just want something else.

When I buy a used gun I take a chance. Most of the time there is no warranty, which means if repairs are required the cost is coming out of my pocket and if I don't like the gun can I at least break even.
When I see something I want used I first check out gun broker as an example to see what that used gun has sold for, than determine if the price is fair, if not I keep looking. If it is I will buy. I do the same thing with new guns. I compare LGS prices with online prices and buy from one or the other depending on out the door price not counting sales tax of course.

As for Glocks I don't understand the logical. I try to like them and I still currently own one, but I just can't shoot them as accurately as my other guns and they just don't feel right in my hands. I currently have a Glock 17 gen4 that I will most likely trade or sell. The extra mags I have if I trade will not bring any value at a LGS, so only with a private sale would they be worth something or I could sell them separately. Yes, but not what I paid for them, it would be more of an enticement for the buyer with a little higher price on the gun sale. Edited by joe45

Glocks hold their value, and they always have. The prices (unless the seller is trying to get over) of used Glocks have always been very close to what a new gun costs. The buyer is saving the tax amount he would pay at a LGS, which is around $50-60 depending. What most people don't realize is that there is just not a lot of room in a Glock, moneywise. I have a receipt from WAY back when the G27 first came out. Price was $440 and that was an LEO price. Todays LEO price for most Glocks is $399-425 depending if it is purchased at a distributor or a dealer. So yes, the price has actually come down form 20 yrs ago and retail Glock pricing itself is pretty much what it was since the importing began. And BTW, Glock folks will very readily rip into a seller that is trying to rip someone off, as witnessed countless times on the Glock forum.