Brass

Guest ddmoit

Guest ddmoit

I try to save my brass when I shoot.  I have no intention of ever doing my own reloading.  It there really a market for the stuff I save (9mm, .380acp, .38spcl)?  How to I connect to it?

There is a market and it varies widely.  If you know for sure it is all once fired only (most desirable), then it comes down to how much you have and if it has been processed (cleaned , deprimed, etc) at all.  If it is just dirty brass, there is still a market, but it won't bring a whole lot.  How much are we talking about?

Guest ddmoit

Not much yet - maybe a gallon bucket full.  It's all in the condition it was in when it left my guns.  How does one know how many times it has been fired?  I'm not looking for a new income stream.  I might even donate it just to earn some good will.

Well you have to become a "Benefactor" on the forum to sell anything.

There is a "Pay it forward" thread where you can give it away.

You can do a google search for what to ask for price.

Pistol brass like 9mm or 45acp, IMO doesn't matter how many times it has been fired. 20++ loadings is not uncommon.
There is certainly a market for once fired brass of pretty much any caliber. Post it here (preferred!) or another forum, or there are reloading groups on Facebook if you are there.

Scrap price for brass is $1.65 per pound. It's worth something. As others have said, you can purchase a membership to this forum and sell it here. Most people don't want to buy a handful, unless it is a scarce chambering, so it would be better to save it up until you have a lot of it. I buy used brass, and personally, I prefer to get it the way it hit the ground, rather than polished or otherwise processed.

• Like 1
Last time I bought 9mm brass I paid $45 for 1k unprocessed, once fired, mixed headstamp, shipped. There's definitely a market. You can't tell once fired from 2+ times fired by looking at it. It's mostly a trust thing. Do you shoot store bought reloads, or only factory ammo? Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Your on crack. No way would I pay those prices. Lol.

I had an add on GOC for months wanting to buy 9mm brass paying up to that amount and never got more than about 300 pieces.I was basing those prices on what I could buy range pickup from some of the ranges. Edited by Patton
I've sold 223 brass on here several times. I don't even bother picking up 9mm anymore. I've found that in pistol calibers it takes a large quantity to make it worth it, which means picking up a lot more. The time I wasted picking it up wasn't worth the return. I do well with rifle brass though
If I had brass to get rid of, and I wasn't necessarily trying to set up an income stream, I'd try to trade/barter for other stuff I wanted. Maybe a reloader out there is willing to swap 100rds of factory 9mm for 500-1,000 9mm brass cases. Heck, I'D swap a 100rd box of WWB for 1k 9mm brass! That's a newer caliber in my reloading arsenal and I'm always wanting to beef up the brass inventory.

Pistol brass like 9mm or 45acp, IMO doesn't matter how many times it has been fired. 20++ loadings is not uncommon.

NO!  NO!  NO!!!!!

Even low-pressure pistol loads like .38 S&W wear out before that.  With 9mm, by the sixth or seventh reloads, I'm starting to see split necks in a batch of brass.  I can usually get 10 reloads from good .45 brass.  That is why seeing the description 'once-fired' is important if you are buying brass.  Semi-auto pistols are usually rougher on brass than revolvers.  Glocks are positively brutal on brass.  I don't believe I've gotten more than four reloads from 9mm used in Glocks.  The case will bulge near the base where it's unsupported.

Once I see  a split neck in a batch of brass, the entire batch goes in the recycle bucket.  It's not worth taking the risk of a case failure damaging your firearm.

At the range, I only reload brass that I know has been fired once.  I'll pick up the other brass (even .22), but it goes in the recycle bucket.  A 5-gal bucket weighs 40-50lbs.  At today's prices for brass, that's about $70.

I am amazed at the dedication and time some folks have to keep brass in "batches." In my world, the stuff gets, shot, picked up and tossed in a bucket where it will sit until it's full, at which point it will be sorted. Then, as time permits, it will be polished, deprimed, primed, and eventually loaded. I have no idea how many times a round has been loaded. I guesstimate some are nearing the dozen mark based on how many bullets I've loaded and how much brass I have for a given caliber.

If a case is suspect, I toss it. Pretty much all there is to it. I rarely have to chuck brass, but when I do it's usually 357 splitting at the mouth.
  • Like 2

NO!  NO!  NO!!!!!

Even low-pressure pistol loads like .38 S&W wear out before that.  With 9mm, by the sixth or seventh reloads, I'm starting to see split necks in a batch of brass.  I can usually get 10 reloads from good .45 brass.  That is why seeing the description 'once-fired' is important if you are buying brass.  Semi-auto pistols are usually rougher on brass than revolvers.  Glocks are positively brutal on brass.  I don't believe I've gotten more than four reloads from 9mm used in Glocks.  The case will bulge near the base where it's unsupported.

Once I see  a split neck in a batch of brass, the entire batch goes in the recycle bucket.  It's not worth taking the risk of a case failure damaging your firearm.

At the range, I only reload brass that I know has been fired once.  I'll pick up the other brass (even .22), but it goes in the recycle bucket.  A 5-gal bucket weighs 40-50lbs.  At today's prices for brass, that's about $70.

I disagree. I do much better that 6 or 7 loads.

Edited by Raoul
  • Like 1