Staples says yes to staple guns, no to TGO .

meh.. I turn off wifi outside of the house.  Those stores ping your wifi connections constantly to record behaviors throughout the place.  Even if you don't connect to the wifi, some of their systems will constantly ping it to record your movements (how long you stay in certain areas, which paths you walk etc) - WalMart even goes to the extent of matching movements up with items purchased at checkout and I think there were plans in the future to start focusing mailed/emailed advertisements to people based on all of that data.

• Like 1
[quote name="Sam1" post="1160580" timestamp="1403217389"]meh.. I turn off wifi outside of the house. Those stores ping your wifi connections constantly to record behaviors throughout the place. Even if you don't connect to the wifi, some of their systems will constantly ping it to record your movements (how long you stay in certain areas, which paths you walk etc) - WalMart even goes to the extent of matching movements up with items purchased at checkout and I think there were plans in the future to start focusing mailed/emailed advertisements to people based on all of that data.[/quote] I must have a poor walmart. They don't even have a public wifi. Don't forget to wrap your phone in tin foil when at the mall, they are real sneaky. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

I must have a poor walmart. They don't even have a public wifi....

Same here. My local WM doesn't have it either. There are only two places in my county that have free wifi (McDonald's & the library) & both have blockers on all forums. When I moved into the house I'm in now we had to wait a couple weeks to get our internet hooked up so I used local wifi & the pubic library to get online. Both blocked any & all forum style sites so I couldn't get on any of my favorite gun forums for a couple weeks. Talk about having withdrawl. :ugh:

It may not even be intentional.  A lot of wireless offering places buy their security as a package without looking too deeply at the details.  Blocks nekkid women and hate sites etc?  Ok, sure, we will take it, sounds like you know what you are doing blah blah...

as the message says: ask management if its intentional.

and yea, a lot of em block all forums because a lot of forum based sites are questionable.

Edited by Jonnin

To add to Sam1's comment, WIFI is getting where they track you through the store and when you get in front of something that you have a history of buying they send you an automatic coupon for said item, or they can send you a coupon for something that they want you to try as you near it.

• Moderators

meh.. I turn off wifi outside of the house.  Those stores ping your wifi connections constantly to record behaviors throughout the place.  Even if you don't connect to the wifi, some of their systems will constantly ping it to record your movements (how long you stay in certain areas, which paths you walk etc) - WalMart even goes to the extent of matching movements up with items purchased at checkout and I think there were plans in the future to start focusing mailed/emailed advertisements to people based on all of that data.

iOS 8 offers Automatic MAC Address spoofing for this purpose. Now, if you connect to a network (like free public WiFi), this feature will not help you because at that point it stops spoofing addresses to the connected network.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/9/5792970/ios-8-strikes-an-unexpected-blow-against-location-tracking

To add to Sam1's comment, WIFI is getting where they track you through the store and when you get in front of something that you have a history of buying they send you an automatic coupon for said item, or they can send you a coupon for something that they want you to try as you near it.

How do they track you using WIFI? WIFI doesn't include GPS capabilities, and it certainly doesn't include all of your personally identifiable information. So how do they know that a particular MAC address belongs to you? Sounds like bunk to me. 

• Like 1

How do they track you using WIFI? WIFI doesn't include GPS capabilities, and it certainly doesn't include all of your personally identifiable information. So how do they know that a particular MAC address belongs to you? Sounds like bunk to me. 

Check into Meridian that was just purchased by Aruba Networks.

• Moderators

It is 100% true. How does GPS work? a minimum of three satellites send signals to your device. Based on the time that it takes for the signals to travel, you can triangulate a position. Throw up three WiFi routers in known locations in a store, and you can do the same. A WiFi router in corners A, B, and C of a store can figure out exactly where you are in the store. Heck, it'd be fairly accurate with only 1 or two routers. Since your phone typically responds to these types of SSID broadcasts, they have your MAC address. You are mostly correct about them not being able to specifically identify you via your MAC address, but what it does is allow them to observe patterns and behavior in the store. Perhaps they find out that someone that comes in and goes straight to the battery isle spends <2 minutes in the store, but also that a battery spender is 2400% more likely to pickup a bag of Cheetos so they now know to put Cheetos next to the batteries.

If you "cooperate" and join their network, install their app, and sign in, then they can really dive deep into patterns and the like. It's all marketing and behavior.

Personally, I'm not worried about statistics and behavior of this sort. Anyone that has ever operated a website understands how web traffic is tracked between sites with links and cookies. Tracking store shopping is just now hitting "primetime". It's the same premise of rewards programs (you didn't think they gave you 1% in rewards because they love you, did you?). Now they can just track in real time to see how long you stay in a certain area of the store, path traveled, etc.

Also, as posted above, it is now becoming a thing to send "real time coupons" to people when they are in a certain isle of the store.

Nobody on he would complain if they were sending coupons for ammo.... This type of market research can drastically improve your shopping experience. And do it without invading your privacy. What's the difference if they are tracking your wifi signal or watching you on camera? And btw the scanner systems in walmart and other retailers could give a crap less about your phone. They barely work with the .:/?$& scanner! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

I was familiar with triangulation because I used to do it in the Army. But I didn't know they had adapted it to WIFI. So yea, I guess it could easily be used to track a particular signal via WIFI. 

same principle, just a different application

iOS 8 offers Automatic MAC Address spoofing for this purpose. Now, if you connect to a network (like free public WiFi), this feature will not help you because at that point it stops spoofing addresses to the connected network.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/9/5792970/ios-8-strikes-an-unexpected-blow-against-location-tracking

I'd like to get the whitepaper on this, sounds very interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

AIUI, they can still track where you go and how long you're there even with MAC spoofing. The catch is that on your next visit to that store, or another of that chain's locations, or any other store with customers being tracked by the same tracking service, you'll appear as a brand new customer. The MAC spoofing will prevent a store (or chain of stores) from building a long-term profile on a customer based on the MAC address.

I'm not super-duper up to speed on this tech, so I could be mistaken.

Edited by monkeylizard

So if I turn mine on there's a chance the DVDs and Ammo shelves will move to the front of the store?

Late to the convo here (it seems to have shifted). I doubt TGO was specifically blocked...It's probably just the category "firearms" or "weapons"... then anything that fits that mold would be blocked, provided that's how the site has been categorized. There's a ton of buckets. Hell you can even filter out entire countries. We specifically block all of China, Russia, Iran, etc.

Here's an example:

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/en/products/Network_Security_Content_Filtering_Categories.html

***Edit*** I'd like to point out that i'll have no part of a Sonicwall device. Fricking Dell.... ;)

Edited by NoBanStan

Late to the convo here (it seems to have shifted). I doubt TGO was specifically blocked...It's probably just the category "firearms" or "weapons"... then anything that fits that mold would be blocked, provided that's how the site has been categorized. There's a ton of buckets. Hell you can even filter out entire countries. We specifically block all of China, Russia, Iran, etc.

Here's an example:

http://www.sonicwall.com/us/en/products/Network_Security_Content_Filtering_Categories.html

***Edit*** I'd like to point out that i'll have no part of a Sonicwall device. Fricking Dell.... ;)

Hey! :rant: