How do ya lefties carry automatic knives...

Dear brother and sister opiners....

Since the TN legislators decided that us delightful rustics are responsible enough to carry a knife over 4 inches long and can also posess and operate an "automatic knife" for various purposes; i'm thinkin about celebrating this new-found "right" by roundin up me a big automatic knife...

The problem is that i'm left handed and it looks like most all plunge lock knives (....Protec, for example...) are a right handed proposition...

The question is; how to ya lefties in the crowd carry and operate your "right handed" knives...?  Please dont tell me to operate them "right handed"; ive already done that for my glock... I need to be able to do this one left handed....

Thanks a bunch...

lefty leroy

Dear brother and sister opiners....

Since the TN legislators decided that us delightful rustics are responsible enough to carry a knife over 4 inches long and can also posess and operate an "automatic knife" for various purposes; i'm thinkin about celebrating this new-found "right" by roundin up me a big automatic knife...

The problem is that i'm left handed and it looks like most all plunge lock knives (....Protec, for example...) are a right handed proposition...

The question is; how to ya lefties in the crowd carry and operate your "right handed" knives...?  Please dont tell me to operate them "right handed"; ive already done that for my glock... I need to be able to do this one left handed....

Thanks a bunch...

lefty leroy

I'm not  left handed but carry my knife on the left. I hold the knife with the button down pinched between my left thumb and index finger. My other three fingers wrap around the handle with the tips of my nails just touching the blade. I press the button with the end of my left index finger and the blade slips past the tips of  the other three. It's easy to operate with ether hand just practice a bit. HTH

Joe W.

• Like 2

Shop around for knives made differently? I'm a lefty and carry a Benchmade assisted knife in my left back pocket without issue. The Benchmade allowed the belt clip to go on ether side and that made the difference for me. My thumb naturally finds the assist button without issue...

• Like 1

I'm not  left handed but carry my knife on the left. I hold the knife with the button down pinched between my left thumb and index finger. My other three fingers wrap around the handle with the tips of my nails just touching the blade. I press the button with the end of my left index finger and the blade slips past the tips of  the other three. It's easy to operate with ether hand just practice a bit. HTH

Joe W.

I'm right handed but have practiced using a Pro Tech with my left hand untill I became comfortable with it.

I can't comfortably or reliably open my auto with my left hand. It about wants to fly out of my grip when opening it,  I just can't get a good grip on it with my left hand.

But like most of us lefty's I am somewhat ambidextrous so the auto is for right handed use, 

Sooner or later I will find one in lefty.

I carry a Kershaw Speedsafe for left handed use,  It is every bit as fast opening as the auto.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

One would think that in today's CNC world that it wouldn't be too much problem with the design being flipped for a southpaw. :shrug:

Still a right hand world, demand would not be that high. I was born left handed but my Dad considered it a handicap, as did some teachers in the 50's. I was trained to be right handed from the time I started learning to feed myself. Except for real tedious things I do about as well right or left.

Joe W.

Still a right hand world, demand would not be that high. I was born left handed but my Dad considered it a handicap, as did some teachers in the 50's. I was trained to be right handed from the time I started learning to feed myself. Except for real tedious things I do about as well right or left.

Joe W.

Trust me I know: my dad was a lefty too.

Market share would be roughly 10%, and that's a pretty significant percentage. My point is that reversing a CAD design for CNC machining wouldn't seem to be that big of a deal to throw away 10% market share.

I am correct handed, carry my pistol on the left side, so my auto knife in in my right back pants pocket, I use my right hand to use it.

I am a bit ambidextrous, shoot pistol with both hands, better correct handed.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have taken the time to give advice... I appreciate it... I think Bronc, Mike, and mike have given me my answer(s)... I've looked at the Benchmade axis stuff and I like it... Looks like the auto axis stuff is ambidextrous; but has two buttons... One a safety, and one a "trigger"... That would work; but i hate the extra safety...

The problem is that I really like the Protec stuff the best... One button; nothin else... Bronc gave me the answer i wuz thinkin about, along with mike... Learn to use it "wrong handed"... I probably need to play a bit with something a bit less expensive to see if i can do that; but i like the idea... That's how us "lefties" do most everything anyway...

The third solution is Mike's solution... Get a flipper of some kind (...which i really like...)... Like Mike (...and mike...); I'm a Kershaw junkie... My Kershaw and ZT flippers  work like a charm; and I already know how to work them... More than that; they are sharper than a razor...

kinda feel like Wembley the Fraggle (...remember watchin Fraggle Rock with the kids...?...)... He sat all the time and "wembled" back and forth tryin to make up his mind when there wuz a big decision to make... I really like the big Protec knives; i also like the ZT flippers...

Whadda think i should do..? Celebrate the auto knife thing and learn to do this stuff wrong-handed, or get out my big flipper...?

leroy

I saw it mentioned above, but I use my index finger as opposed to my thumb.

I suppose that I am a fairweather southpaw. I learned at an early age that this world just wasn't made for me, and I adjusted. Being right eye dominant helped.

As such, now at this age, I don't really have a weak side and I am pretty much ambidextrous.

still carrying the Boker auto.  It has loosened up some and I am getting much better at opening it by using my left index finger.   

I guess practice does make perfect,  or at least made this knife more usable.

still carrying the Boker auto.  It has loosened up some and I am getting much better at opening it by using my left index finger.   

I guess practice does make perfect,  or at least made this knife more usable.

Mike... Wanted ta let ya know; i took your advice and dug out a ZT flipper (...ZT 350...)... That's the way ta do it (...for me, anyway...)... 

Thanks again for re-reminding me that just because ya can do a "new thing"  it aint necessarily the best way ta do it...

leroy

Mike... Wanted ta let ya know; i took your advice and dug out a ZT flipper (...ZT 350...)... That's the way ta do it (...for me, anyway...)... 

PS-- i tried a Boker myself and fooled a bit; flipper is better for me left handed...

Thanks again for re-reminding me that just because ya can do a "new thing"  it aint necessarily the best way ta do it...

leroy

Dammm... Operator error....

sorry...

leroy

Edited by leroy

leroy

Time to come clean, I guess. I haven't stopped carrying my ZT 550. These autos are fun and all, but...

• Like 1

leroy

while I am better with the Boker I really think I prefer the Kershaw SpeedSafe.    I think what you wrote about "new thing" very much applies.  I am sure it is a matter of time before I just go back to it and have the Boker as a novelty.  Aside from anything the blade on the Kershaw is better, holds an edge.