Pink Floyd to Release a New Album

Just heard today that Pink Floyd will release "Endless River" in October. It's their first studio album since Division Bell 20 years ago. (Dang I feel old). It's supposed to be a continuation of some stuff they were working on during DB, but it's all new stuff. Of course Roger Waters will not be on it.

I wasn't a huge fan of Division Bell, but Floyd is my all-time favorite group. Just the thought of getting some new Pink Floyd material has me all excited. It may suck, but I don't care, it will be Floyd.

To me "The Wall" is a masterpiece that will never be topped. I could listen to that album on a continuous loop. I've listened to it thousands of times and still hear some new nuance in it somewhere.

• Like 4
Growing up as a teen in the 90's I was quite fan of The Wall. Recently I have discovered that The Dark Sude of The Moon may be one of the best masterpieces of all time. I look forward to seeing what the new album will be.
Waters was ok for a brief period until he believed it was all about him. The band def advanced without Sid Barrett but waters stagnated things after the wall...just my op

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
Might give DB another listen. I never cared much for it either but enjoyed David Gilmour's Live In Gdansk performance so much I dug it out and it became a new favorite. Edited by kieefer

I love The Floyd....Gilmore is a great guitarist in my book. If you are a PF lover, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zzBOFjrF8Q    

It's a demo version of Young Lust. first time I heard it I just kept playing it over and over for about an hour.  YouTube has several of PF demos you can listen to. It makes you wonder how many times a song changed before it made it to vinyl.

If they hadn't lost their way as a group and let their individual ego's overpower them, I can't begin to imagine what they could have produced in the way of music.

New album to be titled "Endless River" and based on sessions during the recording of DB, all unreleased songs.  Interesting to say the least. I'm excited about this news.

Edited by Randall53

I haven't bought a new CD in a long time.  That's about to change.  A bad Pink Floyd album would still be better than anything on the charts today.

get with it,  no one buys CD's anymore.

It is all about MP3's nowdays.

"Wish You Were Here" is one of my favorite songs ever, period.  "The Wall", "Dark Side of the Moon" were both great but I think my favorite Floyd album is "The Final Cut".  It was technically a Floyd album but in reality was danged near a Roger Waters solo album.  Waters wrote and arranged everything on it and did the majority of the vocals.  To me, it is almost like "The Wall" was a warm up to do "The Final Cut" as "Cut" has a lot of the same feel and spirit of "The Wall" but seems even more emotionally honest and is less melodramatic.  The song "The Gunner's Dream" from that album often gives me chills when I listen to it, especially after not hearing it for a while.

After Waters left, I tended to like his solo stuff more than what Floyd was doing.  I liked "A Momentary Lapse of Reason' okay and really liked the song "On the Turning Away" from that album.  I wasn't just blown away by "Division Bell".  It will be interesting to see what they sound like, now.

Edited by JAB

heh... I still do.  No other way to listen in the car.  If you buy a CD from Amazon, you usually get to download the mp3's free.  Not that making them from the disc requires any real effort. 

"Wish You Were Here" is probably my favorite album by Pink Floyd...although "Dark Side of the Moon" is a close second.

I saw them during the "Animals" tour at the Empire Pool, Wembly in 1977. They played a couple of songs from "Wish" and their encore was "Us and Them" iirc.

Pretty darn awesome concert for a (then) young fella. :pleased:

I'll certainly give any of their works a listen to... And Yes No_One...like me, they are in fact still alive LOL

My daughter gave me a Kindle but I still prefer paper pages.  I still have a nice vinyl collection as well.  Vinyl beats CD and CD beats MP3.  I'm just old school.  Whatever It's all about today, I probably liked yesterday better.  My kids and grandkids tell me that I need to get with it as well.  That's just more reason not to.

I will agree that vinyl trumps CD's but mp3's got it all over CD's.    I have over 2500 songs on my laptop, in the cloud and on a thumbdrive in the truck.  I don't miss the clutter of CD's at all.

Books are over rated too.  The become boat anchors.  People are freaked out by having to get rid of them.  As a blanket statement I'd take E books over paper.

I really have to fight to modernize.  The old ways are hard to dump sometimes.

First off, the best Pink Floyd album of all time is Wish You Were Here. B)

Secondly, I simply cannot get excited about the Floyd releasing tapes from the vault from sessions when they were already on the decline as this seems to be.  I'm sure there will be one or two tolerable tunes but nothing like their past work.  There's a reason none of it was released before. ;)

• Like 2