Need a new deer rifle.

94user

I need a new one. I sold my Stag 5H 6.8 upper because that sumbitch wouldn't group better than 2 inches at 100 yards and ammo is expensive and limited. The 6.8 round was expected to catch on back then when I bought it but that didn't work out so well. I'm thinking about a .308 Bolt action. $400 or so budget, I have the scope .What say you ?

I can do better than that with my H&R Springfield Trapdoor Officers Model, .45-70 with aperture sights. 

It will pretty much take down anything you point it at in North America. Light weight, not much kick.

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/IMG_2806_zps8f9db106.jpg.html]IMG_2806_zps8f9db106.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/IMG_2812_zps0957b252.jpg.html]IMG_2812_zps0957b252.jpg[/URL]

I have it for sale here but it's a lil more than you're looking to spend.

You are local to me if you want to shoot it.

Good luck with your search!

Edited by Lowpower

I can do better than that with my H&R Springfield Trapdoor Officers Model, .45-70 with aperture sights. 

It will pretty much take down anything you point it at in North America. Light weight, not much kick.

IMG_2806_zps8f9db106.jpg

IMG_2812_zps0957b252.jpg

I have it for sale here but it's a lil more than you're looking to spend.

You are local to me if you want to shoot it.

Good luck with your search!

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Savage Axis has upgraded with adding an accu trigger, and they are cheap brand new. The stock is flimsy but its a lot of rifle for the $. I've got the version without the trigger and it's is spot on at 250+yds. 

• Like 1
You can pick up a weatherby vanguard s2 in 308 new for about $400. Good guns, factory sub-moa guarantee. I have one that I use for deer hunting and it shoots quite well. Had it out testing it at the 300 yard range yesterday, in fact. 10 shot group inside 3 inches.

Savage hog hunter. I just ordered one for $417 from Buds. Should do anything you need it to and it will make a good woods gun with the 20" barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hozzie

Savage hog hunter. I just ordered one for $417 from Buds. Should do anything you need it to and it will make a good woods gun with the 20" barrel.

I second Hozzie's suggestion! I have handled a few of them and they feel great. They are light but are sturdy and have a good feel to them. All articles and reviews that I have read on them have been great as well. Great bang for the buck IMO.

Is 30/30 as good as 30 WCF? :) 94user... as in Winchester 1894. :)

Cant believe I didnt catch that...

If he still has one, thats what Id use. But if its a vintage one, I can see not wanting to lug it around in the woods. The Marlins or the newer angle eject Winchesters take a scope much better than the old ones.

94user as in Winchester 94 indeed. It's what I had when I joined my first hunting forum. The damn thing Broke on me in less than a year. the link broke and all the shells jammed up trying to all go into the reciever at the same time. Never again.

I plan on picking up a Ruger American 30-06 as my new deer rifle this year. They are a great rifle (NRA rifle of the year, either last year or year before), and can be had on gunbroker all day long in the low 300's WITH shipping.

If you insist on new, $400 is limiting, you can get a good gun for that but the choices are already listed above.

My advice is to get a used one -- you gonna haul it thru the woods anyway, it will get a few "battle scars" most likely.   That opens up a world of options.

Do you load your own ammo?  If so, what calibers do you already support?  If not, what ammo costs the least per shot (or does it matter?) ...  a cheap gun that fires $3 per shot ammo is not a bargain, making some of the older choices less useful.  

Call me crazy, but I've been less than impressed with my sister-in-law's Ruger American in 243. Kinda rough build (burrs on some edges, not a very smooth bolt, noisy action) and a trigger that has what feels like two fine grains of sand right before it finally breaks. OK accuracy, but she has a basic Bushnell 3x9 on it, and I'm not a world class rifle shooter either.

What I do like are the Savages in the same price range, and one that I feel is often overlooked, the Marlin XL7. I got one in 270 for about 3 bills that has been excellent. Smoooooth action, great shooter, excellent build quality. If you see one at your local shop, at least pick it up and see what you think.

I plan on picking up a Ruger American 30-06 as my new deer rifle this year. They are a great rifle (NRA rifle of the year, either last year or year before), and can be had on gunbroker all day long in the low 300's WITH shipping.

Call me a cynic, but I suspect that rifle of the year came with a hefty donation. I am not saying it is a bad rifle, but I wouldn't let that sway me.

• Like 1

Call me a cynic, but I suspect that rifle of the year came with a hefty donation. I am not saying it is a bad rifle, but I wouldn't let that sway me.

that and the fact they are 100% american made probably had something to do with the decision

The Ruger American is an ugly azz rifle IMO. Not so sure I want that. I'm thinking Hozzie is right on two counts. The savage hog hunter looks good and the shorter barrel would be a plus. Do they all come with threaded  barrels? I don't like or need that. The other point is how much $ did the NRA or by that matter any gun mag get for great reviews?  Seems like gun mags love everything out there. I'll trust fellow gun owners before I'll ever trust a magazine.

Musicman, I've looked up that Marlin and I'll look to see if there is one I can get my hands on locally.  Does anyone have any experience with the Mossberg ATR?

Remington 783 $343

Basically its a Savage rifle with Remington stamped on it. Dad has one in 30-06 and we are shooting sub 0.5" groups at 100 yards.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/remington-783-308-syn-bolt-matte-36400

Can't find it right now but Dolomite_supafly made a very informative post about them. If I find it I'll link it below. Edited by z0mbies fear me
I played with the ATR at Academy when shopping for my rifle. It wasn't quite as nice as the Marlin in terms of finish/smoothness, IMHO. I never shot it so I can't speak to accuracy. It WAS a little lighter, so that may be a plus for you.

I played with most of the guns in that price range, except the Remmy 700/770. I decided not to buy a Remmy on principle... that 700 action has SO many horror stories, and it seems the stupid things are ALWAYS the subject of a recall. When members of the military simply laugh off misfires as "Remington Moments", I'll choose something else.

I ended up narrowing it down to the Marlin or Savage, and it simply came down to whichever one I found in 270 first, and at a price I was comfortable with. I'm happy with my choice, but I think I'll probably get a Savage in another caliber to add to the pile sooner than later. ;-)

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it, and post pics when you get it!

that and the fact they are 100% american made probably had something to do with the decision

That has nothing to do with it.  The NRA couldn't care less were something is made.

Edited by Garufa

Why is that?

ALL the nra cares about is $$

you think they care about made in the USA?  Their membership mags have ads for fake collectables (polished and re-numbered etc to look new) from a known scam company.  And that is one of a couple of very questionable ads allowed in there.