Comcast customers power cycle your modems

DaveTN

Yeah, I have the "Sports Entertainment Package" and don't even really know what it entails, wish I could give it to you. :)

If only we could "menu" shop. Having the movie channels is my priority and predicates what package I can "choose". 'Course, if they allowed "menu" subscribing, I'm sure they'd rig it to where you wouldn't save a dime.

Cable companies are as much committed to the minutiae of spread sheet decision making as Walmart.

- OS

Content providers are also at fault. It's all pretty much a giant CF.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have the "Sports Entertainment Package" and don't even really know what it entails, wish I could give it to you. :)

If only we could "menu" shop. Having the movie channels is my priority and predicates what package I can "choose". 'Course, if they allowed "menu" subscribing, I'm sure they'd rig it to where you wouldn't save a dime.

Cable companies are as much committed to the minutiae of spread sheet decision making as Walmart.

- OS

Unfortunately, the days of "a la carte" programming are long gone.  You could do that back in the good ol days of having a 10 foot satellite dish in your yard and just paying for the channels you wanted from your choice of program providers.  I remember paying about $8-$10/month for the channels that I actually watched.  Sigh.....

Welcome to Google Fiber...  they don't even have to put it in and the other companies start increasing your speeds for free.

The wife said we had a message on the answering machine from Comcast that they increased speed and we needed to power cycle the modem/router to take advantage of it.
I went from 60-70 to 121 Mbps.
This has been a public service announcement. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

All kinds of conflicting info on this.

According to PC Mag, doesn't affect us at all:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2461772,00.asp

Some sources say only for the "triple play" customers with the Comcast equipment, etc. Then again, my Xfinity branded Arris with the built in router crapped out, and they didn't have any more so using their Ubee with no built-in router/WIFI.

At any rate I got no notice from Comcast/Infinity myself, would seem all folks affected would? Anyone else cept Dave get actual notification?

I generally get around 35mbps, unchanged today.

- OS

Yes, I got the same phone message that the OP received.

Yeah I am getting close to that. The weird thing is that I did have the 25mb plan but was getting 28mb down. Since downgrading to the 3-6mb plan I am only getting 3 something. I thought that odd since I know the line can handle much more. I mostly just surf the web and do the occasional streamed movie so this is plenty for me. Downloads do take a minute longer though.

Thing is with Comcast, speeds vary by package.  I have the basic package and "blast" internet.  When I added the sports package, my speeds dropped to 6-10mbps.  i was told the only way to get sports AND high speed internet was to get the triple play package.  I dropped the sports pack.  Don't need it that bad.

FWIW, I just did a speed test on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (4G LTE) 34.6 down / 6.4 up .... almost as good as Comcast!  :stir:

Yeah, but unfortunately with tethering/hotspot you'd have high latency. My phone gets about the same speed but trying to use it with my laptop proved to be folly.

Yeah, but unfortunately with tethering/hotspot you'd have high latency. My phone gets about the same speed but trying to use it with my laptop proved to be folly.

Try using the FoxFi app.  Works well for me but depends on your carrier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's the deal with Comcast though: you often have to "choose" more than you need for one part of service to get what you want for another.

Example, my TV/net service had topped $200 about 4 months ago, was able to drop it down to $150 by going with the "Triple Play". And btw, this includes same "Extreme 105" internet pipe that Dave has, but I only get 30-40 Mbps. Why? Because the fine print says "connection speeds may vary and are not guaranteed".

So I'm getting same internet speed as before but theoretically could be getting his speed if everything else to me were optimal. Also got VOIP phone, which I didn't care about. Hooked up old phone to it just for the hell of it -- use it to call my cell phone once in a while when I've misplaced it. :)

Also, to thicken the plot and to show how weird the "rules" are, my Infinity branded Arris modem/router/phone box was losing synch frequently. After trouble shooting everything for a couple of weeks, finally just yesterday went in to swap it. Well, none available, guy said a shortage of them all over. So I have a Surfboard modem and Linksys router, but he said I had to have a phone capable unit to maintain the Triple Play price. Wow. So he gave me a new Ubee modem with phone input, but it's not a router. So I hooked it up to my Linksys.

Probs with the Arris seemed to have begun about the time they rolled out the individual xfinitywifi thing, too. Dunno if connected to prob or not, but of course I no longer have that with this Ubee, which btw came with no documentation, and is not even Xfinity branded. There's not even a manual for the thing available online. Had to find a forum to find out username/password just to "hack" inside it and look around.

I may still have some problem or other though, my TV OnDemand has gotten odd and the Ubee is not showing same channel connection bonding all the time, seems upstream power level may be too high, so have a feeling this saga is "to be continued".

- OS

You people need to call their techs to come out and get your connection fixed. There is no reason to be paying for 105Mbps and getting 30-40Mbps.

They will fix the issue. If you get a bad or lazy tech, call again. Keep calling them for service until they get it fixed.

You people need to call their techs to come out and get your connection fixed. There is no reason to be paying for 105Mbps and getting 30-40Mbps.

They will fix the issue. If you get a bad or lazy tech, call again. Keep calling them for service until they get it fixed.

Only the business contracts have a minimum guaranteed speed.

You can fuss and get 'em out there for residential service, but YMMV on actual results.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Make sure you know how much a service call is going to cost you.  If you can't prove it's something that they failed to deliver, you'll be on the hook for the technician coming out.  Even if they are fixing something that is their fault, I can still see them putting it into your next bill.

...  Even if they are fixing something that is their fault, I can still see them putting it into your next bill.

Yeah, had to raise hell just to get them to remove a service charge from Mom's bill in Nooga that was prob on their side.

- OS