Murder or Accident, Tony Stewart Race Car Accident

runco

Very sad. Prayers go out to both families involved. On a more sobering note, looks to me like the classic hotshot local guy wanted to show up the superstar and when that didn't happen it looks like the local hotshot couldn't let it go. Let's just hope Obama doesn't chime in and say "if I had a son, he would be just like Kevin Ward!" Racing is dangerous enough, they don't need drivers or spectators running loose on the track.

The left is working on killing football first but I'd bet Nascar is on their list.  :usa:

I don't watch racing but buddies at work talk about drivers jumping on the track and throwing fits, throwing helmets and such.

This accident should end this childish act and penalize or ban drivers who set foot on the track when a race is going on.

Edited by kieefer
  • Like 1

Possible Scenarios 

1. Tony was gonna "buzz" him and just got too close. TS would totally do this, as he is a macho driver that takes these kinds of risks. They live in those cars and know them very well. The kid was way down the track, but appeared to move out of the way at the last second. 

2. Tony, like the car right before him, probably couldn't see the young man until the last second. I doubt this as the drivers have total control of their cars. This is possible as the kid moved away at the last second. 

TS would never hit him on purpose. He has a huge heart and supports dirt track racing as much or more than anyone. He's not gonna get riled up by a young driver. 

The only people who truly know are TS and Ward Jr. I hate this happened. 

I don't think Stewart will face any criminal charges, and if he did, I don't think he'd be found guilty.

That being said, he is a ####. It wouldn't bother me if every time he showed up at a track, a group of people gathered around him and kicked his ###.

why do you think that of him?

Doesn't really matter what folks think, he's the only person who knows for sure whether he hit him on purpose or by negligence. Unless he was to confess to intent, no jury could charge him. I know one thing for sure though; that idiot would still be alive if he'd stayed his stupid butt in the car.
  • Like 2

You ever hear him in an interview?

That's one reason I like him so much, he's actually real and not 100% marketing.  I feel like he is what I would be like if I was a racer.  That's why I also like Kyle Busch.  Both of them don't give a crap what other people think, they just want to win and for me, that is what racing is about.  I don't have that many that I really dislike.  I am not a big Jr fan, but that is mostly because he is overhyped by the media.  He seems like someone that would be cool to hang out with though.

• Like 2

You ever hear him in an interview?

I have talked to him,  interviewed him once myself.  I know he is wound tight and a ferocious competitor.  He treated me respectfully.

He has done a ton for motorsports.  Unfortunately this will overshadow all of that.  Ward Jr. caused this.

• Like 2

After watching 2 videos, I do believe and have observed nothing intentional,the victim is apparently impacted between the front and rear wheels pass side, hard to say whose car produced increased engine rpm,w audio,..intention may have been visible if acceleration occurred before the point of impact. The driver is a seasoned professional driver who has probably encountered eminent events repeatedly that were life threatening.I'm sure vacating the car was against standard protocol.Based on sight, visibility, lighting,and procedure,the victim provoked a dangerous environment,whereas the driver who struck him had little to zero recourse for evasive or alternative action.......just sayin. Im not a racing expert but thats my opinion using common sense, and experience. More video will probably tell more of the same w better definition......

• Like 1

I'm sure vacating the car was against standard protocol.

Insurance requires the track to notify racers to stay in the vehicle on the track unless it is unsafe and they have to evacuate.  That's covered at every driver's meeting 

Yep and some of the witnesses there in the corner posted up on 4m and said tony tried to slide away from the guy, but he tried to grab onto the wing and got smacked.  I thought it was the tire that got him before seeing the slow-mo.

Edited by Sam1

... Some folks ain't gonna like this; but I believe that the person that is still alive that is most responsible for this sad tragedy is Ward, SR...  He has said some pretty hurtful and outrageous things in his public statements; part of which i can attribute to his sadness; the other is just plain foolish and over the top... More than that, he has evidently been the driving mentor and force in this unfortunate young man's driving career, and has publicly stated as much... 

I grew up around the dirt track racing scene... Dirt track drivers race and fight... They are competitive and sometimes combative... They don't run over other drivers on foot on purpose... If this hot headed kid had stayed in his car, he would be alive today... At some level, this grieving father and family have to know that...

...Remember, you are responsible for you... You can make irreversible choices...

leroy

• Like 5

just saw this

"Tony Stewart is a great person," Harvick said Wednesday. "I know in my heart he would never do anything like that on purpose. We just have to let it all play out. I do know that Tony is a great friend of mine, I've known him a long time, and he probably has the biggest heart of anybody in that garage."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/08/14/kevin-harvick-defends-tony-stewart-kevin-ward-jr-death/14049279/%20-%20%20-%20%20-%20%20-%20%20-%20

and I knew this was coming too,

During a caution period, if a driver's car is involved in an incident and stopped on or near the racing surface and unable to make forward progress, the driver must:

--Shut off the car and lower the window net if uninjured;

--Wait for directions from safety personnel or NASCAR officials to loosen safety equipment

--After being directed to exit the car, proceed directly to the ambulance or other vehicle as directed, without approaching the racing surface or another vehicle.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/08/15/nascar-makes-new-rule-to-keep-drivers-in-cars-under-yellow-caution-tony-stewart-kevin-ward-jr/14100643/