In need of Spotting Scope

hipower

I've finally seen the writing on the wall. I need a spotting scope. I just can't see all those little holes plainly any more.

Without spending a small fortune, do any of you have a recommendation? I do more pistol shooting than rifle, but is one good for both?

I stopped in Harbor Freight yesterday evening to look at one in they had is stock. I just couldn't seem to focus at any distance with it, and the eyepiece was awful; very difficult to see thru and I just walked away.

So, going to the best source I know...what say the forum guys?

Not sure what you consider a fortune, but I have this Redfield and for the money, it is pretty nice.  Not a Swarovski, but I can see 22cal holes at 200 yards.

It comes with a decent little carrying case and cheap tripod, but it seems to work.  I like the fact that it all fits nicely in one case and it's easy to take along to the range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=982178&gclid=CjwKEAjwyYCgBRCMmbWl5beV_RQSJABESqHAs3NXkUgUVBws_e1m7KC-Kzo3G8DxDO4JaOq0LHLofhoCOY7w_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Yea, I got two of them. One a Russian model that is ok, not the best glass but I can see my target real well. The other is a cheap Bushnell from Wal-Mart which has better glass but not great. Between that and using contrasting paper or splatter type targets like the SHOOT-N-C by Birchwood Casey I can see my shots pretty good out to 50 yards and with the scope out to 100-200 yards.

DIY Method for splatter targets on YouTube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0U0el--TBY) Edited by Omega

I've finally seen the writing on the wall. I need a spotting scope. I just can't see all those little holes plainly any more.

Without spending a small fortune, do any of you have a recommendation? I do more pistol shooting than rifle, but is one good for both?

I stopped in Harbor Freight yesterday evening to look at one in they had is stock. I just couldn't seem to focus at any distance with it, and the eyepiece was awful; very difficult to see thru and I just walked away.

So, going to the best source I know...what say the forum guys?

Depends I guess. I've found with Harbor Freight the best thing to do if you can't say, get one of their spotting scopes to focus is to try another. The QC on a lot of their stuff sucks, but when you find a good example they're usually ok. I was looking at the same scopes awhile back there and would have bought one if they hadn't had a bunch if other stuff to spend my money on first. One if the models mentioned above is likely much better, but are they 2x+ better?

Not sure what you consider a fortune, but I have this Redfield and for the money, it is pretty nice.  Not a Swarovski, but I can see 22cal holes at 200 yards.

It comes with a decent little carrying case and cheap tripod, but it seems to work.  I like the fact that it all fits nicely in one case and it's easy to take along to the range.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=982178&gclid=CjwKEAjwyYCgBRCMmbWl5beV_RQSJABESqHAs3NXkUgUVBws_e1m7KC-Kzo3G8DxDO4JaOq0LHLofhoCOY7w_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

LOL I guess I should have stated that. I was actually thinking less than 200. I haven't really looked at any local places other than Harbor Freight, and I just wasn't really thrilled with theirs, even though it appealed to my cheapo nature at roughly 60 bucks total.

Not sure of your budget but a good one for around $180 Konus Spot 80

I at least know of the name Konus, I'll do some further checking on it. Thanks.

There are several in the $100 range that are perfectly adequate.  I have this....http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/barska-25-125x88mm-waterproof-spotting-scope?a=556286.

Also a small pair of cheap binoculars is good for up to 50 yards.

Thanks, Garufa, I've been thinking about ordering some things from them. I haven't "joined" them. Is it worth while for only a few items?

Yea, I got two of them. One a Russian model that is ok, not the best glass but I can see my target real well. The other is a cheap Bushnell from Wal-Mart which has better glass but not great. Between that and using contrasting paper or splatter type targets like the SHOOT-N-C by Birchwood Casey I can see my shots pretty good out to 50 yards and with the scope out to 100-200 yards.

DIY Method for splatter targets on YouTube (www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0U0el--TBY)

Crap! Why didn't I think to look when I was in Walmart this morning. I ran by after getting my semiannual blood work and just didn't think of it.

Depends I guess. I've found with Harbor Freight the best thing to do if you can't say, get one of their spotting scopes to focus is to try another. The QC on a lot of their stuff sucks, but when you find a good example they're usually ok. I was looking at the same scopes awhile back there and would have bought one if they hadn't had a bunch if other stuff to spend my money on first. One if the models mentioned above is likely much better, but are they 2x+ better?

Maybe I'll look at them again, but  there's so much out there; and you guys have given me a great list to start from.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I'll look at some online items, and maybe WallyWorld and Gasp! , even Bass Pro.

I feel so good this morning after the checkup...4 and a half years leukemia and cancer free! I might splurge and buy from Bass Pro!

• Like 2

Seriously though...opinions on angled view or straight view?  I see the reasons for each, but I seem to have trouble seeing thru the angled view system. Maybe I'm just not getting it set right?

I do like the Redfield that Hozzie recommended, but for pistol use; what about some of the 100-125 models like the Barska? Yes I'm just beginning this search, so it will probably go on a long time.

Seriously though...opinions on angled view or straight view?  I see the reasons for each, but I seem to have trouble seeing thru the angled view system. Maybe I'm just not getting it set right?

I do like the Redfield that Hozzie recommended, but for pistol use; what about some of the 100-125 models like the Barska? Yes I'm just beginning this search, so I will probably end up with two of each available model before it's done .

FTFY buddy. ;)

Now that's just cruel. Just because I might possibly have 2 of something. Glock, Glock, Glock, and more Glock,

And just because I actually had to stop myself from buying myself a little gift this morning at Bellshire Hardware, you think I might buy more than one of something? :squint:  :stalk:

I did consider buying a 5" barreled RIA 22TCM though. It really was an effort to walk away from it. It was just sooo much prettier than the 4".

• Like 1

Now that's just cruel. Just because I might possibly have 2 of something. Glock, Glock, Glock, and more Glock,

And just because I actually had to stop myself from buying myself a little gift this morning at Bellshire Hardware, you think I might buy more than one of something? :squint:  :stalk:

I did consider buying a 5" barreled RIA 22TCM though. It really was an effort to walk away from it. It was just sooo much prettier than the 4".

In all seriousness Larry, after your fantastic news at the Dr. I think you deserve a little treat. Now I know the missus might disagree as to what "little treat" means, but I also know she'll forgive you. I say do it for yourself if its feasible. :)

In all seriousness Larry, after your fantastic news at the Dr. I think you deserve a little treat. Now I know the missus might disagree as to what "little treat" means, but I also know she'll forgive you. I say do it for yourself if its feasible. :)

Dear TR,

I am quietly working on something. LOL

Signed,
Sneaky Pete.
  • Like 1

I use a Bushnell Trophy which is great out to 500 or so. Even use it out to 1,000 often and it's decent for the price. There are MUCH better spotting scopes but it's a decent scope for the price.

Next one will be batter glass and angled after having used some of them. 

Straight vs. Angled for me is really about where you will use it.  For me, if I am at a bench, the straight works best.  On the ground, the angle works best.  As long as the eye cup screws in and out so you can get a good view, that is the most important thing for me.

Throwing out an alternative here.

Got to talking with my brother-in-law. He knows that I shoot mostly on indoor ranges these days and he made this suggestion.

Use a fixed power scope for indoor, and keep looking for a variable for outdoor use.

I started to argue. Then my mouth closed and my feeble mind caught up with it. Dang. He is onto something there. And I have a couple of 1x4 scopes that should work well at indoor distances.

Even still have an old Pachmeyer hard pistol case I can use. A spring clamp or woodworking clamp to hold the lid in place. Then a cloth or felt covered spring clamp to hold the scope to the door in its upright position.

Sometimes family is good for something. lol

And I'll still look for a great buy on one to use for the rifle range.

I bought a Leupold 15-45x60mm spotter on Woot for about $150 a couple years ago. They have them periodically if you're into watching a-deal-a-day type sites. Their models will of course change around and there's no telling when they'll run some more, but they're usually a pretty good price.

I bought an el cheapo Meade scope on Adorama.com a few years back for $40-45. They're a little higher now, because they come in a padded case. It's clear out to 100 yds even in low light. I'm not about to say it's as good as the expensive ones, but for what I need it for (100 yds max), it's perfect. It's plastic, so it's kind of light, but the tripod is stable and easily adjustable. If you look around you can find one cheap [url="http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meade-20-60x60-Spotting-Scope/14550475"]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meade-20-60x60-Spotting-Scope/14550475[/url] P.S. Go with the angled lens, it's MUCH easier to use, IMHO. Edited by BigK

I bought an el cheapo Meade scope on Adorama.com a few years back for $40-45. They're a little higher now, because they come in a padded case. It's clear out to 100 yds even in low light. I'm not about to say it's as good as the expensive ones, but for what I need it for (100 yds max), it's perfect.

It's plastic, so it's kind of light, but the tripod is stable and easily adjustable. If you look around you can find one cheap http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meade-20-60x60-Spotting-Scope/14550475

P.S. Go with the angled lens, it's MUCH easier to use, IMHO.

Yea, my second one is probably made by the same factory. These scopes get the job done, not the best but very good for all but the longest ranges. I have never been one to get too wrapped up in higher cost equipment if the lower cost ones will do. I used to use my scope to see my shots but the scope does a much better job. I concur about the angled lense, it makes it easy to use.