Budget but Quality 9mm?

Capsaicin

how budget do you want?

a used ruger p89 is pretty cheap, under $300 and all metal. 

You can get milsurp guns fairly cheap as well, just dont fire +++++P in them, stick to standard pressure rounds, something like a beater P38 for example?

For new guns, the eaa witness is hard to beat for a metal gun, coming in at around $400?

Personally if looking for inexpensive, I would hit the next gun show and do a look-see. 

Edited by Jonnin

OP, for your $450 price point, this is really the best thing going:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=209301

Yeah, it's a polymer framed gun.  Yeah, it's striker-fired.  Yeah, there's no decocker.

It's also the best NIB gun you'll find at that price point.   Go to a range with rentals and shoot one.  They're awesome.

Yeah, it's a polymer framed gun.  Yeah, it's striker-fired.  Yeah, there's no decocker.

It's also the best NIB gun you'll find at that price point.   Go to a range with rentals and shoot one.  They're awesome.

Yeah I definitely need to go rent some.  I know Nashville Armory has a range with rentals.  Do any others in the area?

Wow! M&P prices have really dropped lately. So this would be a very good multi-purpose first firearm, or just plain good buy period.

Another vote for a used 2nd or 3rd generation Smith & Wesson. Excellent guns which are often overlooked these days. One of the best bargins in SA/DA autos to be found.

True. I've bought a couple and they are surprising. In a very good way.

If I can throw a wrench into this request, revolvers in .357 are on the table so long as they have "real" rear sights (not embedded into the top strap).

Also does anyone know where in the Nashville area I can get my hands on one of the 2nd-3rd gen Smith autos?  I've never held one and hand/grip fit is a big deal to me as I have Hickok45 sized hands and f[b]a[/b]ngers.

If I can throw a wrench into this request, revolvers in .357 are on the table so long as they have "real" rear sights (not embedded into the top strap).

Also does anyone know where in the Nashville area I can get my hands on one of the 2nd-3rd gen Smith autos?  I've never held one and hand/grip fit is a big deal to me as I have Hickok45 sized hands and fangers.

good used 357 revolvers are not generally found in the <400 price range.   No expert but the older smiths I have seen seem to start at 500-600 unless in terrible cosmetic shape (some of these are internally flawless though, just carried a lot and shot little -- sandblasted and refinished puts them back to very nice quality but time you budget for cosmetic surgery you could have bought the $600 one unless you can DIY).   I could be wrong, you might do ok at that price, but be prepared to go a little higher.

grips can be changed out to fit you better on most models, esp popular guns.   Here again budget 50-100 bucks for a set of grips if the defaults do not fit you well.  Often enough you can get a comfortable grip for your gun, but research before you buy (take internet with you to a gun show, see what you can find). 

One of my favorites is my S&W 19, and it has a large, comfortable grip.   It is a lot like my wife's ruger gp 100, which IMHO is one of the best modern guns you can buy below $1k. 

Capsaicin,

If you're looking for a good place to go rent and shoot some different stuff, Everything Weapons has a new indoor range on Southwind Blvd (just off of 96, right behind Whitts BBQ) in Franklin. Nice clean range, over 50 guns to choose from to rent (all listed online) and its only $10 for 2 gun rentals, $20 range fee. Been real impressed with them and it is my new indoor range. Check it out

Adjustable sight .357 Magnum revolvers in the mentioned price range are possible but will not be NIB. Were I going this route and of the aforementioned hamfisted demographic group I'd save a bit more money and go with a GP-100. They're big hand friendly out of the box and have lots of aftermarket replacement stock offerings. Another option is a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum, simple to operate, work on and fun to shoot.

Were I going the S&W wheel gun route (I admit to being a S&W revolver snob) it's prudent to mention Bill Jordon who was also hamfisted could run a M-19 like a house on fire. With that my leanings have always been towards the N-Frame so I'd suggest a used 4" M-28 if you ever run across one.

The way some folks around here talk, the HiPoint is highly reliable. Uglier than the last girl to go home at a college bar, but goes bang when you need it to. It doesn't get much more "budget" than a HiPoint.

For a night-stand gun, you could probably do worse.

I own two Hi-Point handguns, a 9mm and a .40cal, and trully love both of them. My .40cal may be the most accurate of all my handguns and have yet to have a failure out of either one of them. I say for a budget firearm that you are going to use as a house gun go with a Hi-Point. I'm sorry, you asked for all metal guns, both of my Hi-Points are poly.

Edited by Camaro_nut2001
  • Like 1
Guest JCarter
I'm a little late to the party here but here's my 2 cents if it's worth anything.

First off, I'd have to agree about the 2nd and 3rd gen Smith and Wesson sa/da semi autos. I have owned three; a 3913, a 908, and a 4513 tactical. They are the only guns I owned besides my current striker fired Smith and Wesson that ALWAYS went boom, never any failures of any type. I have had other guns, some more expensive such as a high end Kimber, that I couldn't say the same about. I wish I had my 3913 back, I miss it.

Second thing, applies only if you can get past the all metal requirement. Check out the SD9 from Smith and Wesson. Can't beat the price. I got one if the first ones that came out, with the black slide and night sights standard. Now they are stainless slides and no night sights, but cheaper to buy than the one I got. I paid about $379 for mine, I think they run about $329 now. Maybe less used. Mine has been 100 percent reliable. I carry it a lot. It also has a standard rail, so it would make an excellent nightstand gun to mount a light to.

Have fun shopping, best wishes to you. Good news is you should be able to get something good for the price range you have in mind. There's lots out there. Ditto on renting some first to try them out.
  • 2 weeks later...

These Smiths intrigue me.  I've done some reading about them and have read a lot about spongy or otherwise lack-luster triggers.  Is that true?

I did also see that KelTec offers the Sub2000 that takes S&W magazines which would make a nice pairing.  Did anyone ever offer a "larger than 15 rounds" capacity and reliable magazine for them?

I still haven't had time to hit any of the stores to get my paws on more stuff (in-laws were in town... ugh).

King's Firearms in Columbia (disclaimer:  never been there) has quite a few of the Smith 3rd gen guns listed on Gunbroker, so they presumably have some you could go check out.

The triggers are actually quite good.  Some people can't "get" the DA/SA thing, but the S&W is probably one of the best of the breed.  Very smooth and not too heavy in double action, crisp and pretty light (albeit with a bit of takeup) in single action.

Mec-Gar (who makes OEM magazines for about half the gun industry) offer 17-round flush fit and 20-round extended mags for these guns.  I've tried both and they work very well.