Welp...It is now here folks...ebola

Someotherguy

They're playing semantics with it. Saying things like "well, airborne contagions are considered to be .399 microns and below and ebola is .401"

If someone can sneeze or cough in a room and you can walk through the area while those particles are floating in the air and catch it, the sh!t is airborne. I don't care what kind of technicality they try to use to sweep it under the rug.

That's simply not true. Someone has to sneeze ON YOU. and then you touch your eye or mouth without sanitizing.

This is a prime example of how the story is misconstrued. The disease cannot float in the air, that's why it's not considered AIRBORNE

That's simply not true. Someone has to sneeze ON YOU. and then you touch your eye or mouth without sanitizing.

This is a prime example of how the story is misconstrued. The disease cannot float in the air, that's why it's not considered AIRBORNE

So you would have zero issue walking into an enclosed hospital room with no protection with an infected person?  :rofl:

I would suggest you run back through the SARS fiasco.  That was claimed not to be "airborne" either... but people kept getting it because the infected people were sneezing and coughing.

Edited by Sam1

So you would have zero issue walking into an enclosed hospital room with no protection with an infected person? :rofl:

Room, no. That's close contact! The hospital itself yes no problem. The room could be contaminated in any area.

Now would I walk up to within 10 ft of someone out in the open air that was knowingly infected. Yes no worry

Again there are American and European reporters that are doing this on a daily basis and not getting infected. Edited by Lumber_Jack

Room, no. That's close contact! The hospital itself yes no problem. The room could be contaminated in any area.

Now would I walk up to within 10 ft of someone out in the open air that was knowingly infected. Yes no worry

Again there are American and European reporters that are doing this on a daily basis and not getting infected.

But if it can not be transmitted through the air, then the fact that it is an enclosed room is not different than being around someone in the open air.

This is the problem, everyone says Oh don't worry, it's not contagious hardly at all no matter what anyone says.  Then you ask them if they are willing to risk sitting in a room with an infected person and there's always an excuse on why that is completely different.

If it was not transmittable by air, then closed room or not, you could not catch it unless you physically touch something or the infected person.  However, this ebola thing scares them so much they put containment chambers inside of containment chambers with filters and filters for those filters to ensure it doesn't escape.

But if it can not be transmitted through the air, then the fact that it is an enclosed room is not different than being around someone in the open air.

This is the problem, everyone says Oh don't worry, it's not contagious hardly at all no matter what anyone says. Then you ask them if they are willing to risk sitting in a room with an infected person and there's always an excuse on why that is completely different.

If it was not transmittable by air, then closed room or not, you could not catch it unless you physically touch something or the infected person. However, this ebola thing scares them so much they put containment chambers inside of containment chambers with filters and filters for those filters to ensure it doesn't escape.

You're dense

Walking in the room you are contacting the floor. THATS CONTACT. Your shoes can carry the disease. If I could be suspended in the air then yes I'll go in the damn room

Making up ridiculous scenarios doesn't affirm that it's airborne

Walking into a room with an infected person is not a ridiculous scenario.

I would do it with a cancer patient

I would do it with an HIV patient

I would NOT do it with an ebola patient, and my guess is that you wouldn't either.

Walking into a room with an infected person is not a ridiculous scenario.

I would do it with a cancer patient

I would do it with an HIV patient

I would NOT do it with an ebola patient, and my guess is that you wouldn't either.

That's because you don't understand the virology of Ebola and you apparently never will.

Just because it's not airborne doesn't mean it's hard to catch. That's what I don't understand about you argument. It can live for up to six days on any surface.

That's because you don't understand the virology of Ebola and you apparently never will.

Just because it's not airborne doesn't mean it's hard to catch. That's what I don't understand about you argument. It can live for up to six days on any surface.

saying anything of the such is silly, the doctors are saying they don't understand it.  The only people that say it's impossible to catch are the same ones saying that we shouldn't put a travel ban in place, but that if you have it inside the USA that you are to be quarantined and not allowed on flights or other public transportation..

It's all about keeping people from panicking, well that and incompetence.

Who are these "doctors" of which you generally speak.

You are not getting the message right. NO ONE is saying it's impossible to catch. It is very very possible to catch it. It just can't float through the air in the mall. That's it, bottom line.

If someone swims across the rio grande and coughs on someone in El Paso you should then be worried. But right now there are 2 living people in the US with the disease and they are in a bubble. One in Atlanta and on in Maryland

This disease will spread but it will be just like it was 40 years ago, through body fluid.

The 'doctors' may have been a bad term to use.  The correct term should have been "the bozo in charge of the CDC" himself stated they did not know how it was transmitted during his congressional testimony:

While we do not yet know exactly how these transmissions occurred, they demonstrate the need to strengthen the procedures for infection-control protocols which allowed for exposure to the virus"

The 'doctors' may have been a bad term to use. The correct term should have been "the bozo in charge of the CDC" himself stated they did not know how it was transmitted during his congressional testimony:

In that testimony he was referring to how the Ebola passed into the nurse while she was wearing PPE. He was referring to how the protocol was broken that allowed transmission not how wether it was airborne or body fluid. In other words did she touch the outside if her suit while removing it, or what.

That hospital butchered the protocol. There were biohazards (blood, dirty diapers, etc) stacked to the ceiling.

Emory had the first patient (the Dr) and they contained it. It's about following protocol (or knowing it to begin with).

The biggest thing to worry about is system overload. If too many people get it our hospitals won't be able to keep up. If caught early on, it is survivable.

The biggest thing to worry about is system overload. If too many people get it our hospitals won't be able to keep up. If caught early on, it is survivable.

Much like cholera, one of the big factors in survivability is simple rehydration and electrolyte/potassium replacement as for any disease that includes severe diarrhea and vomiting. A simple saline IV early on could make the difference.

- OS

I am not worried this will become an epidemic,  but I don't like the way they try and sugarcoat this.  The fact that it has been shown that a sneeze sends out mucus and it travels a great distance should not be overlooked or made light of.  And the fact that the virus can live in said fluid for quite awhile should be looked upon as a great risk to anyone that comes in contact with it.  Since the nurses somehow caught the virus even though they knew what they were dealing with and at least had some PPE it should bring to light the great risk it brings to the unknowing public.

Airborn Schmerborn... semantics.  In close contact (where caregivers MUST be), it is indiscernible.  The panic shouldn't be happening.  Neither should the ineptitude.

I have seen Ebola touted as harder to catch than:

1) The Flu

2) HIV

1) Yes, the flu viruses kill a lot of people, and it is a nasty virus.  Counter point: How many caregivers, in the common course of treating those with the flu, actually contract the flu? How much cantiminated waste is generated by the average flu patient?  Most of what "comes out" in the flu can be easily contained and disposed of (wear a mask, have the patient wear a mask, wash your hands. done.)  ... With Ebola, the concern is the condition of the patient's body, and the amount of contaminants that are leaving the body ( and how they leave the body) and having to be dealt with.  It is impossible for the patient to "self-manage" their excretions.

2) HIV - This is pure spin.  The only way in heck this is any kind of workable analogue is if you are in the room with physically capable folks with some sick desire to infect you.  Close contact, ... even drinking after someone (for healthy folks) who has HIV is a non-issue.  No way that HIV is practically more contagious than Ebola.

-National concern over Ebola is warranted.  It should never have reached our shores.  As some have pointed out - as long as the system doesn't get overloaded, we can handle it.  If this virus ever pushes the tipping point of our healthcare system, it will get ugly very fast.  - American healthcare system or not.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 1