Welp...It is now here folks...ebola

Someotherguy

Here is what I want to know. They keep saying how hard it is to catch this damn thing but then you see the medical staff keeps catching it even when wearing full protective gear.

Obviously it's easier to catch than they are leading us to believe.

Well these nurses are changes diapers full of diarrhea, and exposed to biohazard risks much higher than sitting near someone on a plane.

So they're exposure risk is much higher. The transmission from stranger on the street to stranger on the street is controllable through proper sanitation practices. Edited by Lumber_Jack

Plus we're getting all the "it's not that contagious" (which is true). So maybe millions are not likely to die but even if it's two or three or a dozen, if it's because you haven't put sane procedures in place, that's no comfort to those dieing a god-awful death. Collectivists...

What gets me about this issue is that the information regarding the transmission of the disease has been the same from the start. I've seen nothing breaking about this virus in terms of how contagious it is. Folks seem to be interpreting this wrong from the start, and now believe that this is on par with an airborne virus. While it's still highly contagious, it isn't what many folks think it is.

On the other side, it sounds like the powers that be are screwing this up by the numbers.... again. From the get go of patient zero; releasing someone with Ebola-like symptoms who admitted coming from a quarantine zone, then justifying the action. Ugh. Now healthcare workers are being exposed without an effective protocol established, and no proper quarantine of those exposed.

Typical reactionary government behavior. I suppose it's easier to be reactionary than proactive. Folks who are proactive get thrown under the bus for wasting money on stuff that never happens (because being proactive prevented it), while reactive types only have to worry if things go bad.... it's safer to roll the dice. No one is ever held accountable anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been one change. The mortality rate has been upped from 50% to 70%

• Like 2

Just picked up another 40 pounds of beans. Now we should be good for 6-9 months without hunting if we have to hermitize our lifestyle. Just checked some other equipment for a worst case scenario.

I do have another question though. I wonder if a letter that was coughed upon by an infected person, then mailed, is able to infect you? Will it also infect other pieces of mail in contact with it?

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Just picked up another 40 pounds of beans. Now we should be good for 6-9 months without hunting if we have to hermitize our lifestyle. Just checked some other equipment for a worst case scenario.

I do have another question though. I wonder if a letter that was coughed upon by an infected person, then mailed, is able to infect you? Will it also infect other pieces of mail in contact with it?

Out of curiosity, what sort of storage do you figure on using for the beans? Are they in pre-sealed bags or a bulk container? Any sources of material for reading?

I do have another question though. I wonder if a letter that was coughed upon by an infected person, then mailed, is able to infect you? Will it also infect other pieces of mail in contact with it?

You're going to need more than 40 pounds with everyone from TGO coming to your place.

So somebody explain to me why we just did not halt air travel between west africa and the USA? 

Because that wouldn't help. People leave West Africa and fly to Europe before coming here.

Let's assume we can convince the Eurozone to ban travel to Europe too. Fine....people will fly from West Africa to other parts of Africa or the Middle East. Then fly to Europe, then to the US.

Stop all flights in and out of the affected areas? OK....they'll travel over land or sea to a previously unaffetced area and fly from there.

It may delay the spread, but it wouldn't stop it.

Because that wouldn't help. People leave West Africa and fly to Europe before coming here.

Let's assume we can convince the Eurozone to ban travel to Europe too. Fine....people will fly from West Africa to other parts of Africa or the Middle East. Then fly to Europe, then to the US.

Stop all flights in and out of the affected areas? OK....they'll travel over land or sea to a previously unaffetced area and fly from there.

So we should just do nothing?

If they have to walk, bus, and then take a boat maybe it'll take more than 21 days and they'll die in transit instead of taking a 18 hour flight here.

I'm good with any delay I can get.

Edit: If Europe would ban flights from these countries it would help also. My children have duel citizenship, US and Brazil, the first time we traveled out of the country and came back through immigration, we presented our US passports only. The agent looked up at me and asked to see their Brazilian passports as well. I filled out all the forms for their passports my self and never mentioned them having duel citizenship. If they know this about my kids, how, in the era of electronic passports, can they not be able to track where a person has been? Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1

Last time I checked you could not reach N America from Africa via Land.  Traveling by sea might be in many cases be slow enough for symptoms to present themselves prior to arrival. 

See I am of the opinion that it would have been better to delay the spread.  

If an infected person makes it to Europe, perhaps then they become a European problem and not an American problem. 

I would have made it as hard as possible for Ebola to reach US soil as I possibly could. 

I guess that's a null point now, since our 3rd infected person just exposed another plane full of people....

• Like 1

I'm not saying we shouldn't ban or at least curtail air traffic. I'm just saying that it wojn't prevent Ebola from spreading. It would delay it, and maybe that's enough for the right people to make the right decisions to get ahead of it.

I said "that wouldn't help." I should have said "that wouldn't stop it."

You're going to need more than 40 pounds with everyone from TGO coming to your place.

I may not have enough beans but I am pretty sure I have enough bullets.

As far as storage I keep them in their original packaging in a cool, dark place that is also dry. We also periodically donate stuff that is coming up on an expiration as well. Most canned foods will last WAY beyond their expiration date. I know in Knoxville you can legally donate goods up to 5 years past their expiration.

I also have some rice/beans stored in a dry container that was filled with Co2 and sealed. White rice is the best rice and wild, or brown rice, is the worst to store. Wild rice goes rancid very quickly because of the oils.

The reason why people, who might be infected, are still running around infecting others is because we are a litigious society. We sue over everything and the first time someone is told to stay indoors they will hire an attorney and sue. They will sue for not letting them go where they want, they will sue because they were embarrassed and probably sue if they do get ebola.

• Like 2

Don't most African nations need a Visa to enter the US*? That would seem to make things a little more difficult for people who just wanted to wander around. You can't just get on a plane and fly somewhere mostly. Even intervening countries want to know you have a visa through to your final destination because they don't want your sorry ass ending up in their country.

*Yup. Not many countries on the Visa Waiver program and most first world. http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Heck, I've been turned away at the gate of an aircraft before due to a mix up with my green card.

Edited by tnguy

This maybe me think.  This year a whole lot more people will sign up for Obamacare.  They will get the numbers they want now.

More likely the government just takes over all the hospitals. 

Heard on the radio that some Nurse's organization is claiming that 8 out of 10 hospitals are completely unprepared.  Probably one of the same groups that bitched about the CDC guy saying protocol was not followed in Dallas.  They are demanding that Obama issue an EO that all hospitals "be prepared" or some such decree.

Edited by Garufa

So we should just do nothing?

If they have to walk, bus, and then take a boat maybe it'll take more than 21 days and they'll die in transit instead of taking a 18 hour flight here.

I'm good with any delay I can get.

Edit: If Europe would ban flights from these countries it would help also. My children have duel citizenship, US and Brazil, the first time we traveled out of the country and came back through immigration, we presented our US passports only. The agent looked up at me and asked to see their Brazilian passports as well. I filled out all the forms for their passports my self and never mentioned them having duel citizenship. If they know this about my kids, how, in the era of electronic passports, can they not be able to track where a person has been?

How odd. My daughter is dual and we were advised for her to just travel on her US passport. Haven't renewed her UK once since it expired when she was 5.

How odd. My daughter is dual and we were advised for her to just travel on her US passport. Haven't renewed her UK once since it expired when she was 5.

Just realized I spelled dual wrong...

We always entered Brazil with Brazilian passports and they never said a word about US passports. If you use a US passport you have to have a Visa to enter Brazil.

Not issuing or suspending Visas for these African countries would be a good way to stop them from moving about. I was on my way to Zambia and got to DC for my flight to South Africa and was turned away at the gate for not having enough empty pages in my passport. They told me the SA government would fine them $5000 if a passenger arrived and couldn't enter.